MG4 Software Update Thread

Took mine in today to get R46 installed (it went in a few weeks ago for the same thing but they “couldn’t do it” at the time).

Sat there for 90 mins, was told all done. Got back in the car - still R30. Back to the service guy to ask why, he tried to tell me that the car ‘needs to do a sleep cycle to apply the update’ 🤣🤣

I called him out on this, he said he wasn’t a technician, neither am I but I know bull when I hear it.

Long story short, don’t bother going to Acorn MG in Crewe, they are less than useless.
Took my dealer an hour to update it to R46

This is ridiculous. What is the plan now? Did they offer to rectify this and give you a courtesy car while they do? Honestly anything else would be an insult.
I just walked out, they had wasted enough of my time.

The next step is to call Leaseplan today and get it booked in somewhere else to get the update done. Obviously its a first-world-problem but still annoying.

Hi all, just taken my trophy in for a new undertray. I asked about software update (on R33 currently) and was told no updates were available/released from MG.. I showed them this forum about R40 /46 but they insisted mine was the latest version. Is there an official MG website that shows the latest version that ‘should’ be installed ?

MY SE SR is going in for a service nest month . I've asked for the latest updates to be installed . Could someone with a SE confirm what number the latest updates are please.

Hi all, just taken my trophy in for a new undertray. I asked about software update (on R33 currently) and was told no updates were available/released from MG.. I showed them this forum about R40 /46 but they insisted mine was the latest version. Is there an official MG website that shows the latest version that ‘should’ be installed ?

Why are dealers so damn incompetent? My dealer accidently discovered that R46 was released in Norway the same day as I was going to update something completely different, so they gave me R46 as well.

Again comes back to poor communication from MG/dealers they genuinely might not know.
Look at the info from the podcast the other night about updates it's an embarrassing shambles. I don't often feel for dealers but they seem to be getting hung out to dry by MG

Last edited:
Why are dealers so damn incompetent? My dealer accidently discovered that R46 was released in Norway the same day as I was going to update something completely different, so they gave me R46 as well.
As I've previously stated elsewhere...The service levels for MG cars between MG and all franchised dealers is so disjointed and poorly staffed it creates the customer frustrations seen between us all.
It seems there is little communication between dealers, MG and SAIC, what there is, is poor. This also leads to dealership technicians becoming frustrated and disillusioned (along with customers) so technicians and customers leave. Creating cyclic failure.
How they think they can sell a £60k roadster with service levels like this is beyond me.. it could well be the final nail in their coffin !

Long story short, don’t bother going to Acorn MG in Crewe, they are less than useless.
Ah balls, that’s not good news, I’ve ordered with them. Worth posting in the dealer reviews threads so others are aware of their shortcomings. Think they’re still listed as Grenson IIRC.

How they think they can sell a £60k roadster with service levels like this is beyond me.. it could well be the final nail in their coffin !

You pay £50-60k for a car and the service expectation level goes up a few notches, not that you should expect crap service on a £30k car.

MG need to seriously up both their customer service and dealers service levels and drag themselves out the budget mentality they seem firmly entrenched in

Has anyone been upgraded to R40/46 during a visit at all?
There have been a few and there has been mixed results, the problem would potentially seem to be all the other module updates and the lack of knowledge that dealers are provided with detailing which ones have a positive or negative impact on the car.
If you didn't see the podcast the other night Miles confirmed exactly that from a dealer perspective.

Has anyone been upgraded to R40/46 during a visit at all?
When I got mine updated about 2 months ago I believe I was one of the first - on this forum anyway, it addressed and fixed the two issues I had at the time. (only had the car a week)
- details below
Note that I am based in Ireland but really don't see why dealer location should matter especially since MG4 launch here was months behinds the UK, and we've only a handful of dealers aswell (5 I think)
Also I hadn't even looked for SW update, just went in to raise the two issues I had, the tech very quickly said he might have a fix for that, and just plugged in a usb stick, and if I recall it took less than 10 minutes, even told me stay in car, he sat in passenger seat

I'm amazed at how much grief others are having, I obviously must have one of the more helpful and informed dealers - Sheils Limerick
Also hard to believe two months later some dealers haven't even heard of R46 update

I got the R46 update last week and glad to report no more phone pairing issues (was having to re-pair every time I got into car) it also fixed connectivity problem ( iSmart app wasn't connecting to car, also sat nav and weather weren't updating)
Additional changes I've noticed; you get an updated AC page - plain but functional, and extra options for shortcut buttons, plus a slight tweak to battery management page

R46 is for Phase 2 Trophy model

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel