MG4 Software Update Thread

There have been a few and there has been mixed results, the problem would potentially seem to be all the other module updates and the lack of knowledge that dealers are provided with detailing which ones have a positive or negative impact on the car.
If you didn't see the podcast the other night Miles confirmed exactly that from a dealer perspective.
Thx, watched the podcast, very illuminating about the software updates and the challenges the dealers have with dealing with MG… thx Miles for your transparency

Thx, watched the podcast, very illuminating about the software updates and the challenges the dealers have with dealing with MG… thx Miles for your transparency
That's true. But that's no excuse for your dealer no even KNOWING R46 is out there. Or lying to you. Both is inacceptable.

That's true. But that's no excuse for your dealer no even KNOWING R46 is out there. Or lying to you. Both is inacceptable.
If the dealers are not told when there's a new software release, then it is an excuse.

It may well not be acceptable, but it is a least understandable if they are not informed why they don't know. Lying is definitely not a good option for any long term relationship.

I think the situation is ridiculous, but knowing now how it works, it explains an awful lot about the dealer experiences some get. It cannot be good to be a dealer under those circumstances.

Is the consensus that dealers should be installing R46 when it goes in for service? 2022 Trophy, currently R33. Booked in on 25th.
No. Some always give you the latest and others are playing it safe and only give you what they belive fixes your problem with minimal risk for more bugs.

My dealer (Ålesund Norway) told me R40 was the latest but found R46 when checking after I told him R46 was in use Norway now.

Stil he would not say if I could get it, because he was of the impression that the 4 have different hardware. So not all cars could use the same software and they do not know what cars are what before they plug them in.

I think he is a bit misinformed or mixing stuff up, he does not claim to be a technician I belive he's somewere between parts service and the technichians in the workshop so he is not the one doing the job.

anyway is he's right that would explain that some updates fixes some cars but not all.
But it's more likly that what we hear about MG technicians do not have axess to the change liste and what update fixes are working for what is the real problem.

If the dealers are not told when there's a new software release, then it is an excuse.
Well, even we know and we are ordinary people (in a way ;-) ). If you have the slightest interest in your product - and as an authorized dealership you bloody should have - then you know.

I don't want to argue here, by the way. I'm just utterly disappointed how low the levels of professionalism have become and what we have got used to accept.

Well, even we know and we are ordinary people (in a way ;-) ). If you have the slightest interest in your product - and as an authorized dealership you bloody should have - then you know.

I don't want to argue here, by the way. I'm just utterly disappointed how low the levels of professionalism have become and what we have got used to accept.
I know what you are saying but it's obviously a failing from the top, yes some dealers could probably be proactive and chase MG, but if it's not forthcoming they might assume there is nothing new available.
Can't believe Im nearly defending a dealer🤔

I know what you are saying but it's obviously a failing from the top, yes some dealers could probably be proactive and chase MG, but if it's not forthcoming they might assume there is nothing new available.
Can't believe Im nearly defending a dealer🤔
You do kind of feel sorry for some of the dealers as the support from MG does appear to be lacking and certainly uncoordinated.

Thinking more about this, Dealerships are all individual franchise networks which MG sells cars to using the MG brand name. MG is owned by SAIC, which is Chinese state owned.
So in effect, MG is fairly toothless when is comes to dictating expected service levels between dealerships and toothless when it comes to QC at SAIC owned factories. Bit like telling your boss that you will QC all of their work !
Other marques won't have that same challenge I believe, such as Volvo, Renault, BMW ?... Therein is the unfixable problem maybe ?

Thinking more about this, Dealerships are all individual franchise networks which MG sells cars to using the MG brand name. MG is owned by SAIC, which is Chinese state owned.
So in effect, MG is fairly toothless when is comes to dictating expected service levels between dealerships and toothless when it comes to QC at SAIC owned factories. Bit like telling your boss that you will QC all of their work !
Other marques won't have that same challenge I believe, such as Volvo, Renault, BMW ?... Therein is the unfixable problem maybe ?
I actually think you can take MG out the equation, it's just a badge/name that SAIC purchased. In effect I personally think you just have the dealers and SAIC

I'd agree with all of this up to the point of being unfixable, it's not there yet, but if SAIC/MG don't address the issue unfortunately as we all know a good reputation is a lot easier lost than it's gained.
It perhaps highlights reason for as much feedback and complaints to be fed back through dealerships, as it may be the only way SAIC might listen, ignoring your Franchisees and ultimately your customers concerns is a risky game if that's going to be their MO.
Currently I'd suggest the level of dissatisfaction is largely visible only on forums such as this, when/if that bubbles out to the mainstream press, critics and reviewers it ain't so easy put the genii back in the bottle, and that's when the new/potential customers really hear about it, remember vast majority of people will buy a car (or anything else) based on advertising and reviews, I think only a small number actively search for issues or join forums before purchasing

Bit like telling your boss that you will QC all of their work !
So true, tho it reminds me of the time I suggested to a buddy who was a self employed tradesman that it must be great being your own boss - his reply was you might think that, but I need to view every customer as my boss, as soon as I start taking them for granted/ignoring their complaints that's when my business will falter.
Large Companies that lose sight of this will ultimately pay the price

Agree with all the above, I have been engaged in a chat with a well followed YouTube reviewer and given him my thoughts, which I believe surprised him but he took note.
I feel a bit for dealerships, they are at the sharp end between MG towing the SAIC line and the sometimes well informed customer. Battle ensues. I can quite understand why technicians working for one marque who are then trained to work on an EV, jump ship once they are involved with MG, cars devoid of any QC and irate customers.
Another potential fix, online media aside, is for dealerships to push back with MG.. who then undertake 'managing their manager'

From an Australian dealer - so it looks like OPD is a fairly straightforward software update

That’s good… and seem to prove that there is no hardware it’s just software. But MG motors UK will never upgrade phase 1 cars.

That doesn't necessarily mean that MY2022 cars can get it via software update.
The long-range ones in Australia had it from the start, that article and linked article say that the Shorter range model didn't have it at the start, for some reason, but could then get it with a software update.

While it's probably possible for MY2022 models to get OPD via software updates, I doubt MG has the inclination to bother developing the software to give OPD to the older models.

New owner, got my MG4 Trophy two days ago and live in the UK. Can confirm that it did not ship with a recent update, I'm looking at useless lane keep assist, old climate control UI with small buttons and no one pedal driving. Also seems like I got the 2022 version, so no rear wiper and middle seat headrest. The senior salesperson said beside the xpower they havent had any 2023 versions.
One of the salespeople had zero idea that there were any updates for it. After some more digging another confirmed it will come to my car but the update hasn't been released in the UK yet. I was told I will be notified once I can get the update so hopefully they will.
Also haven't looked at the update version yet, update will come with update number.

Had mine updated due a number of issues - I'm now on R46 - Its worthy of mentioning that if you don't have or report certain issues the dealer cant claim under warranty for the R46 update. (That was what I was informed)

So quick recap

I can say that mine NOW does work 98% better than it did before .. This s/w should have been the level that they started with ... Hey ho

AC screen - I can now adjust what I want and it responds correctly & at the time I touch the screen

Apple Play - WORKS - get in car plug phone in and its recognized. Daft but that was a bit issue for me not having something as basic as that working.

Battery Management - I can now pre heat with CABLE CONNECTED - Granted the Car has to be not charging / But the cable can now be left in and from the Phone APP you can initate pre heat / pre cool - In addition the screen in the car looks a tad tidier re Battery info.

Lane Keep Assist - Initially I thought it was 100& better - Now after doing roughly a 100 miles with it - I will say its at least 95% better - Not particularly Great - BUT Most certainly a MAJOR improvement on previous - Still room for improvement

Auto Lights - Yes I do believe that has also been 'worked on' - As mine is now far more 'off' when prior it would have been on when they simply didnt need to be ...

Think that covers 'my' experience of R46 and my MG4 (Trophy edition)

Had mine updated due a number of issues - I'm now on R46 - Its worthy of mentioning that if you don't have or report certain issues the dealer cant claim under warranty for the R46 update. (That was what I was informed)

So quick recap

I can say that mine NOW does work 98% better than it did before .. This s/w should have been the level that they started with ... Hey ho

AC screen - I can now adjust what I want and it responds correctly & at the time I touch the screen

Apple Play - WORKS - get in car plug phone in and its recognized. Daft but that was a bit issue for me not having something as basic as that working.

Battery Management - I can now pre heat with CABLE CONNECTED - Granted the Car has to be not charging / But the cable can now be left in and from the Phone APP you can initate pre heat / pre cool - In addition the screen in the car looks a tad tidier re Battery info.

Lane Keep Assist - Initially I thought it was 100& better - Now after doing roughly a 100 miles with it - I will say its at least 95% better - Not particularly Great - BUT Most certainly a MAJOR improvement on previous - Still room for improvement

Auto Lights - Yes I do believe that has also been 'worked on' - As mine is now far more 'off' when prior it would have been on when they simply didnt need to be ...

Are you driving the 2022 or 2023 verson?
Also, what issues did you report to your dealership for them to load the update for you?

So quick recap

Thank you for the insight, can anyone else on a MY22 car who has received the R46 update add anything?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back