MG4 Software Update Thread

Silly question, through the OBDII port I could tweak a LOT of of settings on my megane IV. There was also some binaries I could use to update my car without the dealer.. I even got android auto working when it wasn't meant to.
My question is, given the popularity of the MG4, maybe this scene will emerge or is already there?
It would be especially interesting (and I'm sure trivial) to remember the settings of the car.. I'm sure the only reason it's reset is because of stupid NCAP. NCAP only checks you have the feature and does not test how good/bad it is which is utterly stupid... 5 star rating with dangerous LKA should be zero star

Indeed ... but R40/R46 are still not generally available for Phase 1 cars - anecdotal evidence is that you need to complain about certain issues for MG to approve (on a per-car basis) the installation of R40/R46. So PDI wouldn't involve installing R40/R46. :)

Not sure if that's correct, I think it's more that you have to complain about certain issues for the dealer to actually take it in and try to update. But even then, some module software might be updated relating to those issues, but not necessarily the Infotainment version.
And even then, lots of dealership technicians seem to just click on an "Update" button on their application, to query SAIC/MG server, and assume that the Infotainment version will properly install and update.
Seems to be multiple people who have had this process fail, and only actually get an update if the technician manually downloads the file onto USB and installs from the USB in the car.

If I were going in for service/update, I would query what version of the infotainment is available, either prior to arriving, or at the time of updating, and request that the software be installed via USB key, given the amount of failures otherwise.

I really don't understand why MG keeps these updates a secret.
When I got my Kia Stonic two years ago, the software had a few bugs. They eventually released the upgrade to the public, and yes, some users bricked their units. Some users couldn't update, some times there more more bugs introduced than resolved.
But when all of this was going on, the user community, through the KIA forum, managed to get KIA to fix the bugs, have a somewhat direct line with support, and low and behold, 6 months later it was near bug free, and this wasn't just one model, this was on their entire product range.

That's why this "better the dealer does it" attitude is just not sustainable in a world where bugs are just what they are and given the customer base, no amount of testing by the dev team will ever fix it.

And even if they made it available to the public (like KIA did), do you really think they are going to have more problems than they can fix? More like the opposite: early "canary" testing and adopters is exactly what gets things fixed.

As for whether an upgrade could cause death or injury: what we are talking about here is the infotainment system. Not the frigging ECU.

Got an appointment friday to fix my Luxury bluethoot connection issues that is getting worse, and the tailgate switch sometimes stop working. The later can only be fixed by resetting the infotainment system (nothing to do with the switch it self).
Understood it to be R46 (but it might be R40) they are going to use to fix the bluethoot issues, currently on the R30.

I noticed the folowing when he read from the R46 descripton:
Bluethoot fix, LKA fix, Radio fix, somthing with the lights fix, changed hvac screen, some hvac fix.

He was also kind enough to follow me out and show me the jacking points (on the strong vertical rib beneath the triangle marking on the canal).

Indeed ... but R40/R46 are still not generally available for Phase 1 cars - anecdotal evidence is that you need to complain about certain issues for MG to approve (on a per-car basis) the installation of R40/R46. So PDI wouldn't involve installing R40/R46. :)
My early phase 1 just had its service and got R46. I hadn’t complained about a specific issue, but maybe service is more thorough than PDI

My early phase 1 just had its service and got R46. I hadn’t complained about a specific issue, but maybe service is more thorough than PDI
I've heard a couple of owners say that their car's software was updated at the first service without asking. It will be interesting to see what version mine gets in 6 months time.

I've heard a couple of owners say that their car's software was updated at the first service without asking. It will be interesting to see what version mine gets in 6 months time.
I knew it was getting updates, I confirmed prior. Just no complaint as such. Seems like an overall improvement anyway

I knew it was getting updates, I confirmed prior. Just no complaint as such. Seems like an overall improvement anyway
That said I think they are supposed to as anyway as part of warranty/service schedule

When I went to my dealer with specific issues they always applied all the updates that were available at the time. Again, it seems to depend on the dealership and his diligence.

When I went to my dealer with specific issues they always applied all the updates that were available at the time. Again, it seems to depend on the dealership and his diligence.
Yes mine had done that in the past too. Like when I had the driver monitoring system camera disable update Feb

Currently sat awaiting upgrades to be completed, mostly reported the bluetooth issue but also reeled off a list of other annoyances (radio freezing, LKA and collision detection always going off, door lock issue). They said 3 hours because there were a few to apply - had car since June and was on R33, first trip back to the garage. Intrigued to see what is different when I pick it up

Does your car have a rear wiper? If not then you have a Phase 1 car (brand new or otherwise) and R33 is the latest "out of the box" release for Phase 1 Trophies.
it doesn't, It's a phase one. But I just received it and I'm quite crossed that I'm having all of these issues. Might just go to my dealership and complain about it since I am quite frustrated

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back