MG4 Software Update Thread

In short - it depends on your deater.

As some others on this forum have mentioned, if you request a SW update some dealers may try to charge you by quoting that MG don't reimburse them for their work/time (and some updates can take hours to complete - tho the infotainment system usually only takes minutes) and SW updates aren't part of standard service, unless a recall applies.

But if you approach your dealer with list of problems you have, very often their go to response will be a SW update to address them, and as this will be agreed with MG, the dealer will be paid for their time.
Bottom line is tell them you want your issues sorted, how they achieve that is for them to decide, although there's probably no harm suggesting that you've read on a forum that update xxxx sorts the issue.
I think most people would agree with view that we don't care what SW version is installed as long as car functions properly.
Many thanks for the reply.

So 'Miggy' went in this morning for the third time with the Airbag Warning light issue. Previously had all BCM's updated and the 10pence clip fitted to the wiring loom, but still happens. When booking it in they also mentioned they were updating the Info software to R46 and there was a recall too... SCUK001, anyone any idea on what this recall is?

Update on this.

BT steady. Auto headlights improved, much faster toggling.

More significant is that LKA is substantially better.
I was told when I got the car in February that the LKA recall update was already done. So I don't know if there has been another update to it, or they never actually did the initial one. I suspect the latter. But there are way fewer activations and the ones that occur are much more gentle.

A month on from this batch of updates and it has been comparative bliss.
No Bluetooth issues. Android Auto is perfect.
I've been able to go back to auto day/night mode as the sensor is less sensitive.
Not getting false low pressure alerts on TPM sensors.
LKA false activations are very rare. I don't disable it anymore.

In an ideal world all this would be done prior to release. But there aren't any manufacturers that do that and having most issues resolved a year in is pretty good going.

As an aside, when going to a dealer with issues make sure to document all issues. As they will only apply updates for ECUs where they can claim it on a warranty.
R46 doesn't resolve much, it's just infotainment frontend. It is the various ECU updates that solve the main issues going on.

So got the call that Miggy was fixed and ready to pick up. Drives the 60 minute journey to the Dealership. Walks in l, the service receptionist proudly tells me all is fixed and shows me the same 10p clip they replaced last time. I smiled and said no worries where is the car? Oh it is round the back I will go and get it for you. 90 seconds later, alert on my phone with Airbag Warning fault. Said receptionist walks back in the front door and hands me the keys, 'there you go sir' I replied it is not fixed is it? 'Oh yes sir, definitely fixed' showed him my phone and took him to the car and showed him the warning light.....

Upshot is, another technical case raised with MG and back in the courtesy car, again??

Grrrrr....

So got the call that Miggy was fixed and ready to pick up. Drives the 60 minute journey to the Dealership. Walks in l, the service receptionist proudly tells me all is fixed and shows me the same 10p clip they replaced last time. I smiled and said no worries where is the car? Oh it is round the back I will go and get it for you. 90 seconds later, alert on my phone with Airbag Warning fault. Said receptionist walks back in the front door and hands me the keys, 'there you go sir' I replied it is not fixed is it? 'Oh yes sir, definitely fixed' showed him my phone and took him to the car and showed him the warning light.....

Upshot is, another technical case raised with MG and back in the courtesy car, again??

Grrrrr....
Face palm!
How could they say it’s fixed, do they talk to each other? Who is this btw?

Do we have a definite list of issues we can raise that will ensure upgrades to the latest software without charge? I'm currently running R30 on a Trophy and would like to get to R46 when my car is serviced later this month.

Previously when I mentioned Bluetooth issues to my dealer response was 'We suggest booking in for an investigation, the first 60 minutes will be charged at £120 inclusive of VAT'

Do we have a definite list of issues we can raise that will ensure upgrades to the latest software without charge? I'm currently running R30 on a Trophy and would like to get to R46 when my car is serviced later this month.

Previously when I mentioned Bluetooth issues to my dealer response was 'We suggest booking in for an investigation, the first 60 minutes will be charged at £120 inclusive of VAT'
My response to your dealer would have been ‘have you ever heard of a warranty?’…bloody gangsters trying to charge for that!

It has become more common for dealers to charge for fault detection, to avoid time spent being unable to reproduce customer's problems - some people complain about bizarre things.

If you have a problem, the key is to be able to demonstrate it to them - eg show them in the car, take them for a drive if needed so they can clearly understand it.

With bluetooth problems, that might be hard to reproduce, but fixed through a software update, I'd ask: is there some other problem which is easy to reproduce that would also be fixed by an update that you could approach them about instead?

However, if the first thing they are saying to you is how much an investigation will cost, that's not a good sign.

However, if the first thing they are saying to you is how much an investigation will cost, that's not a good sign.

Agreed its not a good sign. I think this is a very short sighted attitude from the dealer. No doubt I can argue with them and get them to do it under warranty but what sort of customer service is it that I have to argue with them when there are so many known software problems, I've mentioned one of them, and they want to try and charge for an investigation.....

Agreed its not a good sign. I think this is a very short sighted attitude from the dealer. No doubt I can argue with them and get them to do it under warranty but what sort of customer service is it that I have to argue with them when there are so many known software problems, I've mentioned one of them, and they want to try and charge for an investigation.....
Yes, I agree, from their point of view though nobody is paying if it isn't something MG UK accept as a warranty claim, so I can see why some do it.

Edit: The solution really likes in banning dealer franchises and forcing manufacturers to sell direct, like Tesla does, so it becomes more in their interest to serve you well long-term.

Re. Bluetooth issues .. does the phone and/or car track previous Bluetooth connections with the same/similar name? If yes then that could be an easy way to demonstrate Bluetooth pairing issues.

Re. Bluetooth issues .. does the phone and/or car track previous Bluetooth connections with the same/similar name? If yes then that could be an easy way to demonstrate Bluetooth pairing issues.

If I was asked to prove my issues I'd have shown the list of 20-30 "MG" Bluetooth devices in my connection list from that week.

And this thread :ROFLMAO:

But my dealer was good about all my issues. To be fair MG know about the BT issues. Dealers must know because their so damn common.
There's an update for this, so it's strange that a dealer would be playing the "investigation" card.

Thing is with all these issues I think they should be addressed as a matter of course in the servicing. MG should have a list of known issues and a preferred configuration that should be applied to all cars. This doesn't mean they should apply the latest thing to all cars but there should be a preferred stable configuration all cars should be brought up to in servicing.

.............Previously when I mentioned Bluetooth issues to my dealer response was 'We suggest booking in for an investigation, the first 60 minutes will be charged at £120 inclusive of VAT'

I would try another dealer, some are better than others in my experience (with all car brands), even if it means further to travel.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back