MG4 Software updates

Cstandinguk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all,

Curious, what are the chances that MG will enable the car software to receive proper OTA updates in the future without dealer intervention? That happened in the early days of the Volkswagen ID3.

Surely that must be a better solution for them overall (and us!) :)

When I think about how many issues were resolved with the Tesla through updates it would make a huge difference.

I think coming from Tesla to my MG4, that’s probably my biggest disappointment because if they did true OTA updates it would solve so many other things easily. It’s a pain thinking nothing will improve without a trip to the nearest MG dealer.

And on that… does it matter which MG dealer you go to for updates or does it have to be the one you purchased the car from?

Thanks 👍🏻

What worries me is that the infrastructure for updates seems to be overly complex and fragile, from what I’ve read here.

I don’t get why the servers in China have to be involved. Surely replicas of the F/W could be kept in whatever country for local delivery and any database updates too, then replicated back at scheduled intervals?

Seems really weird how it’s architected, and certainly need improving.

When I got my infotainment updated, the tech had downloaded all the available firmware updates to his laptop and was checking/installing them from that, no remote servers involved. In fact, when the flashing via the laptop software failed (the app said complete, and the unit rebooted but it was still on the old version :( ) he copied the firmware to a USB stick and installed it from there using the service menu.

When I got my infotainment updated, the tech had downloaded all the available firmware updates to his laptop and was checking/installing them from that, no remote servers involved. In fact, when the flashing via the laptop software failed (the app said complete, and the unit rebooted but it was still on the old version :( ) he copied the firmware to a USB stick and installed it from there using the service menu.
This is good news.

Wonder what is is in China they do then? Even speaking to the service person this week about the update I’m booked in for said they’d have to check about it in China.

Isn’t there also some funny about sitting in the seat too when doing an update causes issues?

I forget which brand it was, but I remember there being a lot of dissatisfied people who went to drive their car and found they weren't allowed to drive off until the "updating" progress bar for an OTA upgrade completed.

Being a techy, I love a software or firmware update.

Nothing better than the edgy feeling you get not knowing if your gonna get some great new features/stability or if it’s gonna go belly up and having to invoke some frantic action around a rollback process you took no notice of or read, just ‘cos you’re a techy, rollbacks don’t happen on your watch, and no self respecting techy RTFMs 😉😂😂😂

This is good news.

Wonder what is is in China they do then? Even speaking to the service person this week about the update I’m booked in for said they’d have to check about it in China.
I think it depends whether the local garage keep copies of the updates or always download the latest first. Practices will vary - certainly people have been sent home without updates because the Chinese servers were down all day.
Isn’t there also some funny about sitting in the seat too when doing an update causes issues?
Yes, it used to brick the car if you sit in the driver's seat while you do it, don't know if it still does but the very first updaters had this issue.

I believe the USB stick is only an option for the infotainment update, not the car modules.

What worries me is that the infrastructure for updates seems to be overly complex and fragile, from what I’ve read here.

I don’t get why the servers in China have to be involved. Surely replicas of the F/W could be kept in whatever country for local delivery and any database updates too, then replicated back at scheduled intervals?

Seems really weird how it’s architected, and certainly need improving.
Just central control. Need to be stored on a server somewhere, for download, and they probably don't see the need to have regional infrastructure

This is good news.

It's where they develop the software for the system and make it available around the world

I don't see HQ in China ever giving control of the system development to teams outside of China (unless mandated). It's a custom android build and with android being open source, there's tonnes of android developers in China

Just central control. Need to be stored on a server somewhere, for download, and they probably don't see the need to have regional infrastructure

It's where they develop the software for the system and make it available around the world

I don't see HQ in China ever giving control of the system development to teams outside of China (unless mandated). It's a custom android build and with android being open source, there's tonnes of android developers in China
I agree, but as I mentioned, the processes for updating are fragile and fraught with issues, from the people that’ve be subject to them on this forum, so they really need refining.

I agree, but as I mentioned, the processes for updating are fragile and fraught with issues, from the people that’ve be subject to them on this forum, so they really need refining.
The infotainment updates should be stable enough I would think. It would be a standard enough android update. Should be lots of experience available for that.

The modules however would be more complicated, being embedded systems. You're talking firmware rather than software which always brings more risk of bricking. Think along the line of remaps in terms of what can go wrong there

I've read that OTA updates, if ever released, would be infotainment unit only, for the reason I outlined above. Module updates would likely stay as dealerships only

The infotainment updates should be stable enough I would think. It would be a standard enough android update. Should be lots of experience available for that.

The modules however would be more complicated, being embedded systems. You're talking firmware rather than software which always brings more risk of bricking. Think along the line of remaps in terms of what can go wrong there

I've read that OTA updates, if ever released, would be infotainment unit only, for the reason I outlined above. Module updates would likely stay as dealerships only
The fact that all the configuration for the car is done via that makes me think OTA won’t be available too. Software/firmware updates are a pain for a dealership, let alone in the hands of the owners, I’d be surprised if MG want to rectify someone’s bodged update.

Much easier to not do anything unless the owners complain, especially when they can’t update them their selves.

Just had my car in the dealership, and they’re refusing to do software updates unless absolute necessary. There is 3 MG 4s that have bricked during updates and are now stood still in the car park! They were saying it’s an absolute mess with the 4.
Name the dealership and report to China, they cannot take your money and run mate. Ask for a full refund as they will not supply what you paid for. Updates are not optional but factory correction similar to a recall. Remember the ZS update October 2020 the battery was telling the car it was low even when charged. All MG car are now updated before shipping rather than at manufacture which is a massive help to customer and dealer alike.

Hi all,

Curious, what are the chances that MG will enable the car software to receive proper OTA updates in the future without dealer intervention? That happened in the early days of the Volkswagen ID3.

Surely that must be a better solution for them overall (and us!) :)

When I think about how many issues were resolved with the Tesla through updates it would make a huge difference.

I think coming from Tesla to my MG4, that’s probably my biggest disappointment because if they did true OTA updates it would solve so many other things easily. It’s a pain thinking nothing will improve without a trip to the nearest MG dealer.

And on that… does it matter which MG dealer you go to for updates or does it have to be the one you purchased the car from?

Thanks 👍🏻
after almost a year driving, I think the MG4 do have OTA update but only for small things .. there are at least 2 changes that I notice after driving the car for almost a year :
1. when I first receive the SE SR, it still has the option to only charge for long battery live (so only up to 80%) .. after a few days, it's gone..
2. this is a most recent one, I'm using OBD2 dongle for ABRP to collect data. and I'm running the ABRP on a carlink android box (so not on my phone). Before, If I leave the car and lock it, after a while, the car link will shutdown (so no power from usb). Now, if I let the dongle connected on the port, the car link will keep running. It's good so when I start the journey, less things to set up. It's kinda bad, because at night, you can clearly see the 12.5 inch screen is lit from the outside ..

the only way I could explain this changes is if there's an OTA change from MG .. MG probably don't want to do the major upgrade via OTA for safety reason. I read an article where a driver got stuck in a long journey, because he decided to do an OTA upgrade while in a trip and the upgrade failed 'bricking' the computer and he needed to get a tow ..

The OBD port has permanent 12V live on it. USB port shuts down with the car. This has always been the case. So the car hasn't changed - how you use it has.

When I first got my SE SR there was the ability (via the app) to set a charge level ... after a few weeks this disappeared. (I don't know about in the car because I've never tried to set it there). My belief is that the default profile on MG's servers is for the LR car ... once an SR has been registered the profile gets tweaked (a while later) and so the charge limit control disappears.

Neither scenario above is evidence of OTA updates to the car.

They don't do OTA updates of any sort. Period.

They do plan to do it for Infotainment only - but have never got there yet.

They have no plans to do this with car modules. It is brittle enough having the garage do updates without letting customers do it.

My expectation is a FUTURE platform will come with full OTA update support, but you are not likely to see that before late 2020s to 2030.

The thing I do not understand is that OTA gives MG complete control over the versions and the order they are applied. Much more than giving vague instructions to a dealer and letting some semi-skilled mechanic apply them.

Agree though that the software does appear quite brittle and maybe they don't want 1000's of bricked cars sat on peoples drives!

But Telsa, BMW, VW et al sow it can be done, and probably saves you money in the long run.

The thing I do not understand is that OTA gives MG complete control over the versions and the order they are applied. Much more than giving vague instructions to a dealer and letting some semi-skilled mechanic apply them.
The laptop and MG software decides which car module updates can be applied and which order: the mechanic simply babysits the process and can opt to skip updates that are either not relevant or for time reasons. Their job is simply to press 'Y' or 'N'.
Agree though that the software does appear quite brittle and maybe they don't want 1000's of bricked cars sat on peoples drives!
Yes, it has to be bulletproof before you enable OTA.
But Telsa, BMW, VW et al sow it can be done, and probably saves you money in the long run.
I am sure they will do it, but the current platform does not appear to be designed for it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back