MG4 some basic (I hope!) questions....

Correct on the car finance.

Have previously got quotes for solar and batteries. Monthly finance vs electricity cost will mean little savings even with gov grants.

I am still waiting for a trophy and have switched to OVO for their 10p overnight tariff. Don’t like look of the ohme tethered unit. Planning Indra smart pro which is solar compatible unlike ohme.
I have had an MG4 Trophy for 6 months and am with OVO and have to say although OVO have been good over the past 6 years they have been useless with accepting the MG4 on any tariff. I have solar and a Zappi Charger which work well together so I charge mainly on solar at the moment. I have had several conversations with OVO customer services and although friendly they have failed to accept MG4 on their EV tariff.(check compatibility on their website). They will accept, according to their list, the MG HS which is not n EV!

I have had an MG4 Trophy for 6 months and am with OVO and have to say although OVO have been good over the past 6 years they have been useless with accepting the MG4 on any tariff. I have solar and a Zappi Charger which work well together so I charge mainly on solar at the moment. I have had several conversations with OVO customer services and although friendly they have failed to accept MG4 on their EV tariff.(check compatibility on their website). They will accept, according to their list, the MG HS which is not n EV!
I don’t think the MG4 is compatible with any electricity supplier at the moment so you need to have the correct charger instead. So with OVO it’s currently ohme or Indra chargers. Other suppliers are using different chargers. It’s going to be a real pain swapping energy suppliers in future unless all this gets standardised.

I don’t think the MG4 is compatible with any electricity supplier at the moment so you need to have the correct charger instead. So with OVO it’s currently ohme or Indra chargers. Other suppliers are using different chargers. It’s going to be a real pain swapping energy suppliers in future unless all this gets standardised.
It's not the energy companies as such. MG need to grant access to their API and at the moment SAIC don't want to give that access

People were getting about 185-195 miles from their Trophy's and LR' s and about 150ish miles from their SR's during the cold spells last winter.
Yep, winter with my Trophy is very much 180 miles if I drive it how I like it, 200+ possible with ECO mode, heater off, light right foot, keep speeds down etc...

We went with the Zappi because it can be PIN locked. It’s expensive but worth it.

This was the main aspect that stopped me buying it this time round despite me loving the drive of the car. I like to work things out for myself and research the cheapest options and there were too many unkowns on the energy supplier and charger compatibility front at this stage.

I have a SE LR, only had it 6 weeks but very happy with it, super fun to drive and it's costing me £15 for my weekly 200 mile usage. I have an Indra Pro charger,which works effortlessly. I have looked into the Octopus tariffs but they don't work for me as we use a lot of electricity in the daytime, with 4 adults in the household and 2 of them working from home! Ps Indra charger was £880 fitted with 0% credit over 3 years.

I'm likewise ... Mrs Guru won't run the washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer when we're a) out of the house, or b) not awake (she's somewhat "paranoid" about fire risks) so a night-time tariff is not workable.

Am I wrong?

Bear in mind that to get the cheap overnight rate of 7.5p on Octopus you need to accept a slightly higher rate during the day. The bill will give you your average rate and it is that that is best used for a true cost. But the more you use at night the better. I have a low mileage and in the summer solar in the day so my average may be higher than a high mileage person without.

As siteguru and others have observed it's not always easy to use power overnight, although here I am in complete control!! Plus alarms to avoid excessive paranoia..

Bear in mind that to get the cheap overnight rate of 7.5p on Octopus you need to accept a slightly higher rate during the day. The bill will give you your average rate and it is that that is best used for a true cost. But the more you use at night the better. I have a low mileage and in the summer solar in the day so my average may be higher than a high mileage person without.

As siteguru and others have observed it's not always easy to use power overnight, although here I am in complete control!! Plus alarms to avoid excessive paranoia..
I think it may depend on where you live, as I have the same daytime rate as I had previously at 30.6p/kWh in the day and then 7.5p between 11:30pm and 5:30am.
I am happy to run the washing machine/dishwasher at night (but would also be wary of a tumble dryer, but don‘t have one).

I have a SE LR, only had it 6 weeks but very happy with it, super fun to drive and it's costing me £15 for my weekly 200 mile usage. I have an Indra Pro charger,which works effortlessly. I have looked into the Octopus tariffs but they don't work for me as we use a lot of electricity in the daytime, with 4 adults in the household and 2 of them working from home! Ps Indra charger was £880 fitted with 0% credit over 3 years.

I'm likewise ... Mrs Guru won't run the washing machine, dishwasher or tumble dryer when we're a) out of the house, or b) not awake (she's somewhat "paranoid" about fire risks) so a night-time tariff is not workable.
My daytime rate on Octopus IO is the same daytime rate as the variable rate at the moment, so an absolute no brainer to go on an EV tariff

Likewise the MG4 doesnt give any feedback - so just use your electric supply as a simple timer - in my case its 4.5p between 1-5am (which covers BST & GMT) via EDF (which i use a ohme pro - nevertheless dont use a smart system, just a basic timer, and it works as we need!)

Under PCP or any HP arrangement, you never own the car until the last payment has cleared.
Not only that your have to pay the option to purchase fee which is often included in the final payment .
So let's say you've been paying 400 quid a mth for x mths on hp your last payment would be 400 + the opt to purchase fee .

If you're on a pcp and your balloon is 12k and you want to own the car you'd have to pay 12k + the option to purchase fee .

the whole idea of the pcp was to have equity in the car at the end of the agreement to use as deposit on your next car (mg or otherwise) i.e 12k balloon vehicle value 15k . 3k equity
that's why it doesn't make sense to put a big dep in on a pcp . Cos the car won't be able to replicate a big deposit on it's own next time .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back