MG4 Spare wheel

Just thought I would reignite the spare wheel discussion. Has anyone looked into it further or tried fitting potentially sized wheels?

Have a look at this thread ... I posted this last year .. I think it will answer you questions on the spare tyre.. Regards Squeak

I wouldn’t know what to do if I had a flat

Has anyone made a video or anything about all the stuff under the flap in the boot?

I wouldn’t know what to do if I had a flat

Has anyone made a video or anything about all the stuff under the flap in the boot?
You could always read page 263 of the owners manual or even Google tyre repair kit and watch one of the many videos on you tube.
Like this one:

Most of the punctures I've had over the past years have been slow affairs, and I've been able to get to the garage to have them repaired after seeing the tyre pressure warning and before the loss of pressure has become catastrophic. This should surely continue to be the case and the lack of a spare wheel doesn't matter for these.

For slightly more worrying situations but where the tyre will still hold some pressure, what about simply carrying a foot pump in the car? I know it's yet another thing to clutter up the boot, but it could be enough to get you to a garage without having to use the goo.

I had my Golf almost 14 years and needed the spare wheel precisely once. I had driven on a flat and wrecked the tyre. The tyre pressure warning light didn't come on for some reason, but when I got into the car after having stopped for lunch I thought the tyre looked a bit soft. I blanked it because of the lack of warning, and not having any way to check quickly, and drove on. Big mistake. If I'd had that pump I could have checked the tyre then and there and given it enough air to get me to a garage.

I'm seriously thinking of putting that foot pump in the car. I'm not carrying a spare can of petrol any more, after all!

No need for a foot pump - there's a compressor under the boot floor alongside the can of "gunk". :)

I also have a pouch with "tar string" units in my boot - I find that repair method to be very effective. (My old Golf GT got a puncture 2 weeks after I got it new. I repaired it using one of those tar string repair kits and the tyre never lost any pressure, and it was only replaced when all 4 tyres were changed at some 40k+ miles).

No need for a foot pump - there's a compressor under the boot floor alongside the can of "gunk". :)

I also have a pouch with "tar string" units in my boot - I find that repair method to be very effective. (My old Golf GT got a puncture 2 weeks after I got it new. I repaired it using one of those tar string repair kits and the tyre never lost any pressure, and it was only replaced when all 4 tyres were changed at some 40k+ miles).

I didn't realise the compressor was independent of the goo.

I've never heard of "tar string" repairs to be honest.

This sort of thing:

Amazon product ASIN B07FW34M8Z
You clear the hole, feed the string through the "needle" (half way), insert the needle/string into the tyre then give the needle 1 1/2 turns then pull back out. Slice off the excess string near to the tyre surface. Then inflate the tyre. Very easy to do - I've done several tyres in the past, including a motorbike rear tyre, all without any issues. :)

This sort of thing:

Amazon product ASIN B07FW34M8Z
You clear the hole, feed the string through the "needle" (half way), insert the needle/string into the tyre then give the needle 1 1/2 turns then pull back out. Slice off the excess string near to the tyre surface. Then inflate the tyre. Very easy to do - I've done several tyres in the past, including a motorbike rear tyre, all without any issues. :)
Similar to tubeless bicycle tyres but I always carry an inner tube as back up for that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back