MG4 Trophy map update – BEWARE

NickL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I looked for a SatNav map update and found an MG website

https://www.mgmotor.eu/owners/user-manuals

If you enter your VIN it takes you to what appears to be an area for manuals and a map update specifically for your car, BUT here the confusion starts. It is an MG website based in Europe, not UK. My dealer, who are good, advised that this map is NOT suitable for my UK MG4 Trophy.

I must admit I find it strange that my VIN number would take me to an MG site that has what looks like a good update file, but we were advised against using it. You would have expected a warning or other restriction to stop customers downloading what is potentially a problem.

In fairness the title of this section of the MG website is ZS EV Luxury Edition & MG4 Luxury Edition, not MG4 Trophy.

Anyone downloaded version 22Q2 202208040318 and run it successully?

Anyone downloaded version 22Q2 202208040318 and run it successully?

This person has:

Would these updates not be taken care of when the car is serviced and the correct UK version installed ?
That is the question to ask the dealers I would think.
Les

Would these updates not be taken care of when the car is serviced and the correct UK version installed ?
That is the question to ask the dealers I would think.
Les
Good question and one I will ask. My main concern is that finding the European MG website with VIN access would lead others to think the file is correct for their vehicle. In addition there is an article showing car owners how to update the maps. There is no warning that the map is not suitable for UK cars. It would be reasonable to think, given the need for the unique VIN, that it is suitable for your car. I feel that if it is not suitable for UK cars, there should be a warning.

The real issue here is that MG aren't doing over the air updates to their infotainment system including maps despite advertising that they do.

There might be a probability that part of the VIN number is a country or area code but I don’t know and might stop you using these updates.
Les

I did the update to mine last week, and it appears to have worked fine. (I've had the car 2 weeks now)

I took general advice from this thread Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)
Must admit I haven't actually used the satnav for routing yet, but it finds my location and follows the road ok when just viewing in the main screen.
The link in post #2 mentions Q1 2023, but the latest is actually Q2 2022 as shown on the users display screen.

The only issue I had was the amount of time it takes to uncompress the maps.zip file and copy the resulting maps folder to a USB drive. In all that part took about 2 hours!

The update took around 30 minutes, 5 minutes recognising the files on the USB and about 25 doing the actual update.
I only had 1 favourite saved (home address) which was preserved.... The TomTom built into my previous Renault Scenic would lose everything each time it got updated.

I did use the link in post #1 to get the updated map

Good question and one I will ask. My main concern is that finding the European MG website with VIN access would lead others to think the file is correct for their vehicle. In addition there is an article showing car owners how to update the maps. There is no warning that the map is not suitable for UK cars. It would be reasonable to think, given the need for the unique VIN, that it is suitable for your car. I feel that if it is not suitable for UK cars, there should be a warning.

The real issue here is that MG aren't doing over the air updates to their infotainment system including maps despite advertising that they do.
I appear to have had the same issue on an MG5, the VIN number took me to an update for the SATNAV, but it wouldn't install. Looks like UK customers need to use Naviextras tool.

No difference that I can see, the factory installed version was also the Euro map - Q1 2022.
Afaics from the zip the western Europe map includes all the countries and localisations from Portugal as far as western Russia and the Ukraine.

Who would want a UK only map? Not much use if you hop across the channel.

Just to add a little to this: I have the pre-facelift MG5 and that website accepted my VIN and allowed me to download the map update.

BUT, because my installed SatNav is from Naviextras and these updates are clearly from a different manufacturer, they are not compatible with my car.

As already commented, it should not be possible to access and download any sort of software that is not applicable to one's car, especially since you need to enter your VIN to access the site!

Just tried to update my Trophy and failed. I used an admittedly very old 32gig USB stick but freshly formatted on my Mac to exFAT. The download on the EU MG site said 2023Q1. It took an hour to download the 19.84gigs of files onto my computer using a pretty fast internet connection. It took another two hours to transfer the files from Mac to the USB stick. Once in the car it took about 10 minutes for a dialogue box to appear that said "Select resource from USB". After another 10 minutes I got another dialogue box with three bullets:
  • Select map data from USB
  • No VR data from USB
  • No electronic manual from USB
A few minutes later a green tick appeared against the first bullet but after waiting another ten minutes no other ticks appeared so I selected OK.
Then "Getting Md5 info for all files" appeared
Then "Failed to verify the map files in md5 mode"

I'll try again at the weekend and use a brand new memory stick.

Have a look at your extracted files though. There is a version.txt file in the maps folder - what version is in there?

If you look at my post #6, when I did mine nearly 3 weeks ago it was quoted as being 23Q1 but the downloaded map was 22Q2

Just re-downloaded to check and its still 22Q2

Theres a long thread here where people had issues using Apple Macs to do the formatting/copy etc (its the same system as the MG4)
Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel