MG4 Trophy map update – BEWARE

It was a 32Gb stick (29Gb formatted), the files were 19Gb.
How long should it take to recognise the update files ?
Mine was a 32gig Samsung Cruzer Blade drive formatted to fat32 in windows 11.
It took around 5 or 6 mins to actually recognise the files, and then around 30-35 mins to do the update. I did mine back in April after having had the car about 2 weeks.
Still 22Q2 map but looking at file creation dates, there could be another version soon...ish!

Managed to do it today.
Thanks to @MrPeaski for the 5-6 minutes tip, I wasn't giving it enough time, because it wasn't doing anything and there was no buffering animation I assumed it wasn't working. Left it and after about 4 minutes and it started downloading the files off the stick, it took about 20-25 minutes to update so now I'm on Q2 2022. (y) :giggle:

Yes - part of the VIN can be used for that purpose. See "Country or region codes" in the "Components" section of this: Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia
Burgo,

So the VN file ask by system is VIN.
I decrypted VIN code but there is something strange.

Some friends have had their own map update, but I can't cause of this VN file is missing.
I looked all the unzip files and just one "the part number.bin" is not with the correct value, I think.

Have a look
Capture d’écran 2023-11-11 à 19.36.53.png

If you have upgrade yours, may you check the file in your unzipped one?
If there is you VIN, may you report the syntax of this file?

For example:
  • VIN (all complete numbers)
  • Texte space VIN (all complete number)
  • Only part of number VIN (what kind of part?)
Thanks in advance

labougie

Sorry - Can't help you with that as I'm waiting delivery of our car. I've only used Naviextras updates on a satnav in our motorhome. Naviextras supply the underlying road & POI information for zillions of satnav hardware & software providers - just browse the list and you'll see that they're the source for most motor manufacturers. You can set up an account on their site easily, and browse for your satnav make / model / inbuilt car system. Mg touch updates, for example are here (but you may need to register first) : Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

Hopefully that helps - or not (!) but until I get our car and see what exactly is installed can't really help anymore. Sorry.

Burgo,

So the VN file ask by system is VIN.
I decrypted VIN code but there is something strange.

Some friends have had their own map update, but I can't cause of this VN file is missing.
I looked all the unzip files and just one "the part number.bin" is not with the correct value, I think.

Have a look
View attachment 21516

If you have upgrade yours, may you check the file in your unzipped one?
If there is you VIN, may you report the syntax of this file?

For example:
  • VIN (all complete numbers)
  • Texte space VIN (all complete number)
  • Only part of number VIN (what kind of part?)
Thanks in advance

labougie
I have the same issue.
I note that your motto is "I never give up". Did you find a solution?

I spoke too soon; the car complains now that there is not a VN file in the maps folder. So the downloaded map update will not work on my MG4 Trophy (R46) ☹️
I have to be honest... I wrote my response before I actually updated it, and having now tried to update it I have the same problem (MG4 XPower/R46). I wasn't sure I have extracted all the files correctly, so am doing it again to retry tomorrow.

Looks like they have locked the update so it checks the VIN against the map files. TBH I thought it would always do that otherwise you could get free map updates forever rather than 5 years.

I'm guessing the VN file will contain the VIN in an encrypted form so you cannot replace a simple text file - the part_number.bin at a guess? That file in the download just contains 12345678 as previous updates.

I downloaded the file via an authorised VIN.
In actual fact entering the VIN gave me access to all the user guides for the vehicle as well as the PDF containing the instructions that I provided the download link for. It's this PDF that contains the download link to the update package, so I doubt the VIN actually passes through the process into the ZIP archive.
1711735488040.png

Last edited:
In actual fact entering the VIN gave me access to all the user guides for the vehicle as well as the PDF containing the instructions that I provided the download link for. It's this PDF that contains the download link to the update package, so I doubt the VIN actually passes through the process into the ZIP archive.
View attachment 25208
Did you manage to install the new map?

View attachment 25208
I downloaded that a couple of days ago using my VIN.
The opening the zip file the contents were the same 22Q2 202208040318 as has been available for a while.
However, doing the same a few minutes ago (still downloading) and the zip file has a different file name. maybe its changed, i'll find out shortly and report back.

I posted about it here Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back