MG4 Trophy map update – BEWARE

Good question and one I will ask. My main concern is that finding the European MG website with VIN access would lead others to think the file is correct for their vehicle. In addition there is an article showing car owners how to update the maps. There is no warning that the map is not suitable for UK cars. It would be reasonable to think, given the need for the unique VIN, that it is suitable for your car. I feel that if it is not suitable for UK cars, there should be a warning.

The real issue here is that MG aren't doing over the air updates to their infotainment system including maps despite advertising that they do.
I've downloaded the file from the EU site using my VIN. I'm based in Ireland but I'm confident the dealer is wrong here. This is a generic update for all of Europe.
There is an excel file containing the map tile indices. From the naming I can see it includes European (including UK) landmark image files.

I can imagine dealers putting this into an annual service. Let's call it two hours labour :ROFLMAO:

Anyway had no real issues updating.
Used a new USB3 drive which came pre-formatted in exFAT.
This didn't work, had to reformat to NTFS, then no issue.

Last edited:
Just updated my Trophy with the maps.zip downloaded from mgmotor.eu without issues (2022Q2). I used a USB hard disk formatted to NTFS which contained other files, but the infotainment had no issues finding the right folder.

To my dismay, the new version is missing some chargers that were present in the factory version (2022Q1)!!

Does anybody know how to inject external POIs into the infotainment? I guess they should be HERE format.

do we have to unfold in a folder called maps inside another folder called maps...
or
maps -> TeleNavMapData (and all the rest)?

Thank you

do we have to unfold in a folder called maps inside another folder called maps...
or
maps -> TeleNavMapData (and all the rest)?

Thank you
No, all you need to do is extract the maps folder and copy it to a suitable USB drive.
all that should be on the drive is a single folder called maps. (everything else will be within this folder)

As there are thousands of small files within the .zip file downloaded, it could take a while to extract and copy to the USB, if I recall mine took around 2 hours.

The drive needs to be plugged into the left hand 'normal' USB port on the car, not the USB C port.
Installation takes around 30 minutes.

I recently re-downloaded and checked the maps file and it is still the 22Q2 form the beginning of this thread

22Q2 202208040318
this is the version of the maps I downloaded few minutes ago.
I unzipped in the NTFS formatted usb drive. Later or tomorrow I'll try to update and post the result.

Weeks ago i tried to do it but I received a Md5 error, i forgot to take a picture of the error message. I don't know if it's related to the fat32 format of the USB or whatever issue it was.

22Q2 202208040318
this is the version of the maps I downloaded few minutes ago.
I unzipped in the NTFS formatted usb drive. Later or tomorrow I'll try to update and post the result.

Weeks ago i tried to do it but I received a Md5 error, i forgot to take a picture of the error message. I don't know if it's related to the fat32 format of the USB or whatever issue it was.
The MD5 algorithm is used as a checksum in this instance, to make sure you got the file intact.

BTW - The link offered me a 23Q1 file
Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 16-33-13 User manuals.png

It has offered the 23Q1 for a long time, but they seem to have forgotten to update the actual file on the server! I emailed them about this ages ago - needless to say I never received a reply.

I followed the link but when it said MG ZS instead of MG4, I gave up.
There are too many instabilities in the MG4 infotainment system as it is without me messing it up. :sneaky:

As I hardly use the nav much, is it worth me updating from Q1_2022 to Q2_2022 or should I just wait for the next update ?
I think the site said we have 5 years of free updates, so no rush.

There is always a difference off 6 months between normal so the Q2 will be 6 months newer :) and take a few min to update. I am waiting for the 2023 update, cause here in Belgium there were a lot new roads constructed in the last 6 months.

I thought the Q meant Quarter of a year or 3 months.
So Q1 would be Jan, Feb & March and Q2 April, May & June.
:unsure:

As I hardly use the nav much, is it worth me updating from Q1_2022 to Q2_2022 or should I just wait for the next update ?that
I think the site said we have 5 years of free updates, so no rush.
I, and a friend, purchased our MG4s on the understanding that there would be free map updates for five years, but now the dealer says this is wrong and that updates need to be paid for. This is UK only from what I have been given to understand. (I am not happy about this).

I, and a friend, purchased our MG4s on the understanding that there would be free map updates for five years, but now the dealer says this is wrong and that updates need to be paid for. This is UK only from what I have been given to understand. (I am not happy about this).
  1. Plug phone into car's USB-A socket
  2. Run Android Auto or Apple Carplay
  3. Free map updates for life

Well I give up.
After spending countless hours downloading the update, trying to unzip it to a usb stick but failing, unzipping it to a folder on my hard drive, copying it to the usb drive wrongly formatted to FAT32 then copying it again to a NTFS formatted usb drive, it still doesn't work.
All I'm getting is this on the screen, with OK greyed out

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_140823327.jpg
    IMG_20230920_140823327.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 105
Well I give up.
After spending countless hours downloading the update, trying to unzip it to a usb stick but failing, unzipping it to a folder on my hard drive, copying it to the usb drive wrongly formatted to FAT32 then copying it again to a NTFS formatted usb drive, it still doesn't work.
All I'm getting is this on the screen, with OK greyed out
What was the size of the USB stick? The max size is 32gb to function, had the same problem cause i had only bigger sticks.... So i bought a new 32gb one only for the updates.

What was the size of the USB stick? The max size is 32gb to function, had the same problem cause i had only bigger sticks.... So i bought a new 32gb one only for the updates.
It was a 32Gb stick (29Gb formatted), the files were 19Gb.
How long should it take to recognise the update files ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back