MG4 Trophy map update – BEWARE

Did you manage to install the new map?
My second attempt failed with the same message ☹️
1000014018.jpg

Back to the drawing board.

I will try it myself today. I have to get the folder on a stick first.
It does seem to be a tedious job (info from elsewhere):
  • you will see a dialog that data is transported from the usb , >10min one of three options can be confirmed,
  • an activity wheel apears (md5 check)
  • a bar appears showing the copy process (20 min at least)
  • another MD5 check.

Last edited:
My second attempt failed with the same message ☹️View attachment 25223
Back to the drawing board.
Same result in my Trophy (v1) R46.
Done with a USB hard drive (much faster to extract the .zip file)
Navigation version 6.2.60.1.45160

Will have to compare to the old maps folder to see what's the difference...

Last edited:
Same result in my Trophy (v1) R46.
Done with a USB hard drive (much faster to extract the .zip file)

Will have to compare to the old maps folder to see what's the difference...
Did both of you also get a screen with select usb source, showing three options no map data,
no speech data,
no electronic manual on USB?

below the three there is a cancel button and an ok button

Did both of you also get a screen with select usb source, showing three options no map data,
no speech data,
no electronic manual on USB?

below the three there is a cancel button and an ok button
After waiting a couple of minutes watching the USB stick flashing, the "map data" option lit up, pre-checked. The others remained grey. As the USB stick had stopped flashing I presumed the system was no longer reviewing content so hit "OK". The VN file error came up immediately. Happened twice now with different downloads and different unpacking software.

After waiting a couple of minutes watching the USB stick flashing, the "map data" option lit up, pre-checked. The others remained grey. As the USB stick had stopped flashing I presumed the system was no longer reviewing content so hit "OK". The VN file error came up immediately. Happened twice now with different downloads and different unpacking software.
Could it be the Luxury map update does not work for trophy and xpower?

Does the UK Trophy etc. have EU maps on it as standard? (I note that the download file name suggests it is for EU mapping).

It now reads the data but my trophy comes up with the same message: no VN file.
I have downloaded it again and I wil also try to do it with an edited part number file.

Sofar, I have not been able to update my car (a Trophy ER). It always misses the VN files.
I see similar remarks coming from X-power owners. If you did succeed with any x-power or trophy er, inform us in this thread.

Check below the difference in extracting files with Winrar (left) and Window (right). I extracted the zip file four times with windows, downloaded the zip file twice. Windows skips two folders !

unzip difference.png

Unfortunately, even with extra folders/files it does not work.

Last edited:
Just updated mine to 2023 yesterday.
I got the files off the MG EU site, entering my VIN number in the process.
First it took about 2 hours to download a failed download on Friday, then about 3 hours to successfully download again yesterday.
It took me about 4 hours to unzip the files directly to a 32Gb memory stick, the files are 23Gb.
Put it in the car, selected update and waited 3 minutes for it to recognise the Map files and 27 minutes to update.
Apart from the first failed download of the files, everything went as planned, it didn't ask for the VN file or anything when updating.

Just updated mine to 2023 yesterday.
I got the files off the MG EU site, entering my VIN number in the process.
First it took about 2 hours to download a failed download on Friday, then about 3 hours to successfully download again yesterday.
It took me about 4 hours to unzip the files directly to a 32Gb memory stick, the files are 23Gb.
Put it in the car, selected update and waited 3 minutes for it to recognise the Map files and 27 minutes to update.
Apart from the first failed download of the files, everything went as planned, it didn't ask for the VN file or anything when updating.
Yours is a Trophy LR. I expect them to be compatible with Luxury models. But sofar, I did not see anyone installing it on an ER or X-power. Unless I missed it.

Btw, I did a new download yesterday afternoon. Did not change anything.

Same issue here with the VN error and I have mg4 EU luxury spec 2022

@Kithmo could you clarify
  • What's the version number reported in the zip
  • what os are you using and what software did you use for the extraction
  • how was the usb stick formatted
  • the current Navi software version installed on your car (you can see in the navi settings, about page)
I'm on 6.2.60.1.45160 with currently maps 22Q2 202208040318

Same issue here with the VN error and I have mg4 EU luxury spec 2022

@Kithmo could you clarify
  • What's the version number reported in the zip
  • what os are you using and what software did you use for the extraction
  • how was the usb stick formatted
  • the current Navi software version installed on your car (you can see in the navi settings, about page)
I'm on 6.2.60.1.45160 with currently maps 22Q2 202208040318
I think it would also be helpful to know the content of the text files in the "maps" directory ("file_verification" and "Version.txt“)

I went to the MG EU owners site and put my VIN number in for a list of documents, one of which was the PDF for updating the map for the MG ZS Luxury and MG4 Luxury. There's a link in there that downloads the latest available map.

Tried the update and....... 'No VN file found on U disk' :(

Infotainment version = 1300R46
Nav = 6.2.60.1.45160

In effect I did exactly the same as @Kithmo but with an update failure

I had previously updated for the map that came with the car to the 22Q2 in April last year without problem.

Last edited:
I think it's ominous that the update specifically refers to "MG ZS Luxury and MG4 Luxury", although I get the same update when entering my XPower VIN.

Time to collate version info for failed and working updates? My update fails with the VN file error.

Mine versions are:
Infotainment = 1300R46
Nav = 6.2.60.1.45160
Same for me with Trophy extended

Infotainment version = 1300R46
Nav = 6.2.60.1.45160

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No