MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

jamesc83

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I contacted MG about the dip in the undertray that others also seem to have (noticed in oil leak thread). They say it’s not normal and would be replaced if approached by dealers.

Anyone with this issue should also email mg
[email protected]

FD28A834-79D7-45BC-A81C-BF8998C06C29.jpeg

I know new models have teething problems, but it's increasingly looks like the MG4 2as rushed to production
Looking more likely that way. Perhaps there should be a liquidity check thread created with a lost f checks to be carried out by new buyers to see if MG messed up but thats not very nice.

Here is hoping the new deliveries has less of these quality issues. Some else mentioned they have this dip under theirs as well and assumed it is probably by design.

I mean if MG had the technical know how to build something this good why spoil it with these avoidable quality issues?

I contacted MG about the dip in the undertray that others also seem to have (noticed in oil leak thread). They say it’s not normal and would be replaced if approached by dealers.

[email protected]

View attachment 11770
It looks like the the engine/gearbox isn't sitting correctly and pushing the undertray down

It looks like the the engine/gearbox isn't sitting correctly and pushing the undertray down
I don’t think that’s the case. Think it’s just the angle I took it. Other pictures I’ve seen show similar.

Looks to me like the screws don’t line up and force it to bend. That’s what the dealer said who thought it was normal as all their cars had it

I don’t think that’s the case. Think it’s just the angle I took it. Other pictures I’ve seen show similar.

Looks to me like the screws don’t line up and force it to bend. That’s what the dealer said who thought it was normal as all their cars had it
Can’t get a better pic where the car is but it’s definitely just a gap, not actually in contact with the metal. Has a lip at the edge that goes around the metal bit where it is flush

Are the bolts on your undertray fully tightened? They seem to be loose on mine. Misaligned bolts does seem like the same issue I'm looking at. I can't get it to the dealer until Saturday but I've emailed the customer service email and will be calling in first thing on Saturday about this and the leak.

Are the bolts on your undertray fully tightened? They seem to be loose on mine. Misaligned bolts does seem like the same issue I'm looking at. I can't get it to the dealer until Saturday but I've emailed the customer service email and will be calling in first thing on Saturday about this and the leak.
A dealer (I’m away from home so took it to a local one to where I am) has just had it off and back on again so they should be. Mines booked in with my dealer week after next to get checked and hopefully officially reported by dealer to mg.

The dealer I went to yesterday thought it was normal because their cars had it too.

These issues with the MG4 are now becoming worrying, they should have been ironed out already considering the Mulan (Chinese name for the MG4) was released about 3 months ago. Physical issues should not be appearing on non-Chinese cars, software I can understand a little as it's tweaked for each region.

[email protected]

View attachment 11770
Thanks. I will email as suggested and will have to contact dealer too. Think we are both same dealer. My car look similar with the dip. Not sure how good my pic is but this is what mine looks like...

Attachments

• 20221012_084300.jpg
    20221012_084300.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 1,140
Thanks. I will email as suggested and will have to contact dealer too. Think we are both same dealer. My car look similar with the dip. Not sure how good my pic is but this is what mine looks like...
Yes I think we are. I initially questioned it due to a slight whistle I get from the back of the car. Looked under to see that.

I can see why people including one dealer thought it was normal when there are so many like it. But if MG themselves say it’s not then best get it sorted.

Yes I think we are. I initially questioned it due to a slight whistle I get from the back of the car. Looked under to see that.

I can see why people including one dealer thought it was normal when there are so many like it. But if MG themselves say it’s not then best get it sorted.
Yeah agreed. So far not seen a leak that others have reported so that's a start! If it has to go in they can check it all i suppose. 👍

I have been in and as per oil leak thread there was an overfill which has been corrected and in terms of the undertray there demo car has same issue. They say it looks like the tray is too big but ultimately they need guidance from mg on the issue. Obvs messing with it not an option at this stage. I haven't had a reply from mg yet but when i do i will forward to dealer and i would urge others to do the same and hopefully we'll get progress soon once mg have more info and examples. Dealer was helpful to be fair.

I have been in and as per oil leak thread there was an overfill which has been corrected and in terms of the undertray there demo car has same issue. They say it looks like the tray is too big but ultimately they need guidance from mg on the issue. Obvs messing with it not an option at this stage. I haven't had a reply from mg yet but when i do i will forward to dealer and i would urge others to do the same and hopefully we'll get progress soon once mg have more info and examples. Dealer was helpful to be fair.
Good to know dealer was helpful. DMd you a question as we are same dealer 🙂

I wonder how badly this is affecting efficiency on ours and reviewer vehicles.

From the pictures it looks like some have the bulge at the front of the tray and some at the back, is this so ? 🤔

I assume if you driving motorway speed this will affect efficiency but also sound proofing as air going inside of tray? So if that issue get fixed your car would be probably a bit more quiet.

I assume if you driving motorway speed this will affect efficiency but also sound proofing as air going inside of tray? So if that issue get fixed your car would be probably a bit more quiet.
Yes it should be. I get a slight whistle from the back at 50mph + which I believe is caused by this.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back