MG4 Updates today ( and I possible job with Ryanair next year )

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Had the 4 in today for the doors not unlocking MG4 recall, so in trying to kill a few birds with one stone here’s how it went.
Dealer had the car over 48 hrs and applied at last ( 2nd attempt this ) the software up date which is supposed to stop the locking in syndrome. We hope.

I had also told them about the LKA which was turned off the day we collected the car, because for no reason it would pull the steering quite hard to the left or the right without warning, thankfully when it first happen on day one we where only doing around 20mph, and as I had read about it here I knew what the problem might be, so stop the car went into the screens and turned off LKA and there it been for the last 5 or so months until today.
Last night I notice on my phone a message in the iSMART APP so open it and it said electric power steering disconnected so I knew something was being looked at.
I picked up the car after the dealer had phone to say it was ready to collect this afternoon and they went through what had been done told me a software update had been done and now I would need to switch off LKA each time we got in to the car, as the car has got to default to LKA on to meet the NCAP requirement, I had give them written permission to disable it permanently but they said they are not allowed to do that.so we are stuck with that now.

So coming home around 15 miles I decided to leave it switch on to see what might happen, not once did it pull like it did before at low speed and as we got to around the 40 mph mark when I did intentionally move towards the line in the centre of the road the steering wheel was vibrating and an alarm was going off so it does now appear to be doing as Described in the handbook I think we will see how it goes other wise it will go on the pre-drive list along the select ECO mode but turn of the Eco in the heater settings.

So the next thing rear lights condensation, this is normal as the lights are able to breathe nothing to be done no fault found.

Next under tray bulge they said we have try to improve it for you as best we can I will look in the morning and edit.

Oil leak new breather fitted so time will tell I suppose.
So after tea wife went out in the car came back and said what’s that rattle noise in my car well I am all but deaf totally deaf on my left side after surgery to remove a growth behind my left ear inside my head, the the other is not to clever due to 35 years in a heavy industrial plant working many hour at over 100db noise levels so we go out again and there a slight vibration and a rattling noise but I do not know where from so it will need to go back again soon. My wife says she has never heard that rattle before today but if I listened very carefully I to could hear something and I must admit I could feel some thing vibrating.

So in summary doors will not no longer lock us in we hope, although we have not had the problem but some have, not very nice I’m sure.

Oil leak who knows along with the under tray bulging out of Sight out of mind this I suppose with that one but keep one eye on the parking lot.

Rear lights taking in water I hope if they are going to fail or rust away they do so before the warranty is up I don’t know how you can have condensation without moisture.

LKA appears much better I think it is working as the book now if not it will be switch off every time from now on before starting off, my wife said she feels like a pilot preparing to take off sometimes, doing her checks I said well after driving this for about 12 months may Ryanair might offer you a job.
Les

Last edited:
Thanks Les, I will test ours too as it should have the latest updates from yesterday.

While joining a dual carriageway last night I had a warning and a gentle vibration on the wheel from what was I assume LKA as it happened as we crossed the dashed line, but it was nothing alarming. At that point we had not changed a single setting from the defaults.

Thanks Les, I will test ours too as it should have the latest updates from yesterday.

While joining a dual carriageway last night I had a warning and a gentle vibration on the wheel from what was I assume LKA as it happened as we crossed the dashed line, but it was nothing alarming. At that point we had not changed a single setting from the defaults.
Sounds like yours and Les LKA is now working as we know it should. Gentle vibration/audible warning little bit of pressure on the wheel, cancel it with an indication. Hopefully that's that🤞

Hi Les - Just caught up with your progress on your wife’s car.
I guess time will tell and I have no doubt at all that you will be keeping a close eye on it !.
The condensation in the rear lights is / was a common issue on Tesla also for some strange reason.
It maybe one of them conditions that is not there in the warmer weather, but then returns again as the cooler weather returns ?.

Last edited:
So after the software update above yesterday this is what it say in the infotainment screen. MG4 SE SR

FF2AD899-7F13-4211-B30A-2965A6EE8FF1.jpeg

Attachments

• 07601B62-9AA2-416E-B35E-970A73083C02.jpeg
    07601B62-9AA2-416E-B35E-970A73083C02.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Hi Les - Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but have you got the pictures the right way round as the 'after' pic seems to have software version numbers lower than the 'before' picture (implying your software upgrade was actually a downgrade ... what am I missing please?

Before Pic:
MPU software version : SW183-29867-1300R12
MCU software version : 83.3.4.8

After Pic:
MPU software version : SW169-29958-1100R10
MCU software version : 69.1.0.9

Again, apologies if I'm missing something here - I'm new to the forum and I'm still waiting for my MG4 (ordered at the end of December).

Hi Les - Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but have you got the pictures the right way round as the 'after' pic seems to have software version numbers lower than the 'before' picture (implying your software upgrade was actually a downgrade ... what am I missing please?

Before Pic:
MPU software version : SW183-29867-1300R12
MCU software version : 83.3.4.8

After Pic:
MPU software version : SW169-29958-1100R10
MCU software version : 69.1.0.9

Again, apologies if I'm missing something here - I'm new to the forum and I'm still waiting for my MG4 (ordered at the end of December).
Hi markyDman and welcome to the forum I have doubled check and they are the right way around but I have no idea what they mean.Can you enlighten us?.
1300R12 as been in the car from new up until yesterday
1100R10 was put in yesterday for the recall about the doors locking you in the car an MG recall

Hi tsedge can you take a look in your infotainment system and if possible post a picture like I have done above also what model have you got ?.I have had a few comments back which say in affect I have the pictures the wrong way around both here #8 and there is also another thread running on software updates so I put the pictures on that as well and got the same question about the pictures appear the wrong way but they or not.
It’s going back on Monday as the car now has a rattle and a vibrating that was not there before my wife is not best please the dealer had it 2 days last week.

You say in you post you had a gentle vibration on yours also any idea what speed that came on as the steering wheel should only begin any vibration when your doing a minimum 37 mph and leave a lane with out you indicating when LKA is switched on so it says in the handbook
Les

Edit Edit Edit

Good news found the rattle and vibrating noise this morning no need to go back tomorrow lifted bonnet and the cover as a plastic fixing missing so tied that down with a cable tie for now so with the wife driving me iin passenger seat got to around 20mph a she said there it is hmm yeh I can hear touching dash all over the place nothing glove box then I found it sunvisor not locked in to holding clip fully so was vibrating against the roof at the top of the screen just thought I would let you know sorted.
Les

Last edited:
Hi tsedge can you take a look in your infotainment system and if possible post a picture like I have done above also what model have you got ?.I have had a few comments back which say in affect I have the pictures the wrong way around both here #8 and there is also another thread running on software updates so I put the pictures on that as well and got the same question about the pictures appear the wrong way but they or not.
Hi Les, I'd be happy to but I have a Trophy and the software versions are quite different from the SR SE, so not sure it will help you. Does anyone have a freshly updated or brand new SR?

Up until now the version numbers have always seemed to increase across all models when people get updates, but since you have an early car maybe it was running some kind of earlier branch and now you are on a new one, hard to know really.

It’s going back on Monday as the car now has a rattle and a vibrating that was not there before my wife is not best please the dealer had it 2 days last week.
That's unfortunate but these things can happen, hope it is quickly sorted.

You say in you post you had a gentle vibration on yours also any idea what speed that came on as the steering wheel should only begin any vibration when your doing a minimum 37 mph and leave a lane with out you indicating when LKA is switched on so it says in the handbook
Les
It was at about 50mph while merging onto an empty dual carriageway, I think I either didn't indicate or indicated late since there was nobody to see it. It has happened a couple of times since (lane positioning) but always light and not alarming. Pretty certain this is LKA. No vibrations at other times.

As I posted in another thread, my SE SR is on 1100R13. I'm aware that someone else already has 1100R16.

1300Rxx usually denotes a Trophy model, so seeing this on an SE SR is weird.

As I posted in another thread, my SE SR is on 1100R13. I'm aware that someone else already has 1100R16.

1300Rxx usually denotes a Trophy model, so seeing this on an SE SR is weird.
Here's a theory: some early SEs had a version of the Trophy software before it was branched to be separate from SEs, so now these are getting updated to an SE branch but maybe a newer branch than some of the cars that arrived in the second batch?

My SE SR has the same version numbers as Les shows in the latest update, except that mine says R13 rather than R10. So the branch Les is now on is the same as mine, but his doesn't have the latest (or even previous) release.

My SE SR has the same version numbers as Les shows in the latest update, except that mine says R13 rather than R10. So the branch Les is now on is the same as mine, but his doesn't have the latest (or even previous) release.
Ok, assuming the numbers always increase. I wouldn't be surprised if MG broke that convention too!

Hi all above from post #8–#18 i have to apologise I made a big error when I posted at #7 a. Before and after picture ( now removed ) to only show the after the update picture I by mistake post a picture of the screen on my MG5 not the wife’s MG4 screen as I said I have edit that picture out and I can only apologise for any confusion caused.
Les

So you've really got 1100R10 in your (wife's) MG4 SE SR? That's old ... and I'd expect that to show the Android Auto pre-production message. (If you use Apple Carplay then you may not see it).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back