Mg4 USB ports?

Lillemy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Is there only one USB port that is connected to the infotainment system? I usually have an USB stick with music on in my car, and would be nice if I could use both the stick and phone with android auto at the same time.

Unfortunately yes.

[ Moderator edit: but see also this post a year later:
]

I don't know if a USB splitter would work though :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
From Manual

The front power socket is located in the front of the centre console. When the vehicle is powered on, it can be used as a power supply.
There are 2 USB ports (1 & 2) equipped both sides of the 12V front console power socket. The USB ports can provide a 5V voltage when serving as a power outlet, or realize data transmission. USB port 1 can also provide‘Vehicle-Mobile Phone Interconnection’ function.

Would be nice to be in simple English, not tech speak :)

From Manual

The front power socket is located in the front of the centre console. When the vehicle is powered on, it can be used as a power supply.
There are 2 USB ports (1 & 2) equipped both sides of the 12V front console power socket. The USB ports can provide a 5V voltage when serving as a power outlet, or realize data transmission. USB port 1 can also provide‘Vehicle-Mobile Phone Interconnection’ function.

Would be nice to be in simple English, not tech speak :)
So does that mean you can plug a USB key with your music on into the back socket and your phone to provide Android/Apple auto/carplay into the front?

5 euro, Aliexpress

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-09-12-20-49-04_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-09-12-20-49-04_57e717c094f371a1dada6567a1123b99.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 667
According to someone on the MG4 Faceache page they can use a USB C stick in the right socket to play media from. 🤷‍♂️

But AFAIK the left USB A socket is the only one that supports AA/CP/phone integration.

If anyone can test this and 100% confirm it would be useful. I personally prefer to play music - NOT - from phone

The the guy on the thread on the Faceache page agreed with my assertion that this was true - that's what he does. (Music via stick plugged in to the USB C port).

As the port is on a vertical surface then one might wish to be careful about how long a stick plus adapter might be - i.e. weight bearing on the socket.

A cable into the USB C socket, fed through the hole on the shelf and connected to a suitable socket/adapter might be the best way. :)

Is there only one USB port that is connected to the infotainment system? I usually have an USB stick with music on in my car, and would be nice if I could use both the stick and phone with android auto at the same time.
Could you put the music on the phone and have it run as files from there or over the bluetooth?

This is likely a daft question - how do you feed USB cables through to the phone tray?
Feels like the cut-outs might snap if I prise too far. I assume you push cable up from beneath?

I assume the tray cover lifts off and the holes already have slices through them to the edges of the cover. I plan to push my USB cable up from the bottom, locate the wire through the hole then refit the cover.

This is likely a daft question - how do you feed USB cables through to the phone tray?
Feels like the cut-outs might snap if I prise too far. I assume you push cable up from beneath?
Tried that yesterday, I don't think the pad does lift off(magsafe), only had a quick go, couldn't get them through. I'll try again later.

BTW, found the magsafe pretty crap and intermittent on my iPhone 13 pro max

Tried that yesterday, I don't think the pad does lift off(magsafe), only had a quick go, couldn't get them through. I'll try again later.

BTW, found the magsafe pretty crap and intermittent on my iPhone 13 pro max
It’s not mag safe

That would explain that then 😂
Yes mate, no magsafe involved here just wireless charging. The type of case you have on can affect the performance. I have the Apple silicone case which is also mag safe compatible if you need it (ridiculous price I know) and it works perfectly with the MG wireless charging on my car. Also I don’t get any movement or slippage round corners that I have seen others mention.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back