Mg4 USB ports?

Just put your music on the phone
not what they asked though, is it.

USB MG4 summary

LH front USB A port

Can be used for Apple Car Play and Android Auto (though needs a good quality data cable to connect to the phone).

Can be used for 5v power, and as a data port for a memory stick with music or video on. The SE doesn't allow proper access to folders so accessing album folders is difficult, just tracks are shown.

RH front USB C port

Can be used for 5v power, and as a data port for a memory stick with music or video on. The SE doesn't allow proper access to folders so accessing album folders is difficult.

I bought one of these memory sticks with both A and C connectors, as my laptop doesn't have a USB C port:
Dual A and C memory stick

REAR USB A port

for power only, no data transfer.

Lots of reasons that most people probably can't be bothered to go into here.
Well it's a much better solution and your tracks will play in the right order without having to rename them, presumably he would be using Android Auto or Carplay and would have voice control over his ablums and songs.

The phone is basically a USB stick, why would you use a separate stick when all phones have music player software anyway ?

Because I prefer to use a dedicated memory stick, and I don't want to activate apple carplay as I don't use it, and I don't want to subject the phone to loads of extra short recharge cycles a day as it is plugged in and unplugged, because I can control the USB stick from the car but can't control the phone's music in the same way, amongst other reasons.

Once you have the stick renamed it works fine. And at lease once that's done it's done, unlike all the obsessive car cleaning people seem not to mind repeating.

Is there only one USB port that is connected to the infotainment system? I usually have an USB stick with music on in my car, and would be nice if I could use both the stick and phone with android auto at the same time.
Purchase an adapter for your 12v cigarette lighter port. Must be clearly marked PD or it will not work. most of these new ones have 1 USB A and ! USBC port.

Tried that yesterday, I don't think the pad does lift off(magsafe), only had a quick go, couldn't get them through. I'll try again later.

BTW, found the magsafe pretty crap and intermittent on my iPhone 13 pro max
feed them up from underneath, lift the pad and then clip the cable into the slot provided.

Must be clearly marked PD or it will not work.
PD: Power Delivery. I had to look it up. For others that don't know:

Edit: I'm not endorsing their products, it was just the first page I found that clearly explained the various symbols.

Purchase an adapter for your 12v cigarette lighter port. Must be clearly marked PD or it will not work. most of these new ones have 1 USB A and ! USBC port.
The original question was "Is there only one USB port that is connected to the infotainment system? I usually have an USB stick with music on in my car, and would be nice if I could use both the stick and phone with android auto at the same time." so I have no idea why you are talking about a USB socket on a 12v round socket adapter. They're NOT after power, they want to link to the infotainment system.

See the end of this post for the correct answer.

Is there only one USB port that is connected to the infotainment system? I usually have an USB stick with music on in my car, and would be nice if I could use both the stick and phone with android auto at the same time.

I've no idea why the answers to this are such nonsense, or why people answer when they have no idea.

The correct answer is: The LH USB A socket has to be used for Android Auto or apple carplay, it can also take a USB stick with music on.

The RH USB C socket is also a data socket, plug a USB C memory stick in with music files, they will play.

[ Moderator edit: removed redundancy. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
The RH USB C socket is also a data socket, plug a USB C memory stick in with music files, they will play.
A normal USB stick can also be used, if you have an A-to-C adaptor as supplied with some phones.
71B40VaZedL._AC_UL210_SR210,210_.jpg

The front infotainment Control module is the central USB control that connects 2 FRONT USB connectors, the central display, the TBOX and the DAB module.

Passengers USB is definitely power only.

The TBOX is located behind the glove box, to get there you will need to remove the bezel (6 screws)

The TBOX is actually interesting since it gateways the CAN bus to the front display (USB) so detailed status (eg battery SoC / charging current etc ) might be available at that location (assuming the front display does not do the heavy lifting)

Try on your own risk. I really would like to have direct access to SoC, so I can send it over wifi/mqtt using a esp32 or similar to check charging status remotely without the clout.

Anyone knowing more or working on that ?

If that's true you can get a USB to C adaptor from Amazon for £5.50 for two.
That's exactly what I do; but I discovered that of the dozen or so cheap trade-show-freebie USB sticks I had music on at least two of them caused the infotainment system to be very sluggish, completely stopped CarPlay from working. I did try re-formating them but the same effect.
Life's too short for unreliable USB sticks! In the bin...

Hi, someone know the charge speed of the USB A port when using AA? It seems much slower then 12V to usb with wireless AA adapter. The only problem is that the USB A port always have power and i don't want to leave the wireless adapter connected

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone can test this and 100% confirm it would be useful. I personally prefer to play music - NOT - from phone
Could you connect via Bluetooth for your music? Personally, we have been unable to connect our Apple phones toInfotainment via Bluetooth , but use lead and CarPlay . Not tried other USB or power socket

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back