Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Good afternoon all,

I’ve had my MG4 SE since launch and overall I would say I’m okay with the car. It meets my minimum needs and was the best option when the used ev car market was a mess only 6 months ago.

However lots of little things are bugging me about the MG4 - no interior light in the back and no the back of the car is very dark/ gloomy for my little girl, no auto windows up on passenger window, no reversing camera, no heated seats and I’m concerned about how long it’s going to last regarding rusting ( not looking promising )

Now approved used Tesla M3’s have dropped to sane pricing I’ve got to admit I’m tempted. I can get a 2 year old standard range one for £30k and that will have 2 years + 1 year extended approved warranty and still 6 years on battery / drivetrain.

I ended test driving one today and overall loved the experience - software better in everyway, heated seats all around and steering wheel, glass roof for child, sentry mode is a big win and how efficient it was even with heater etc - showing 250 on the range, I went for a hour test drive and it only dropped by 10miles which was my journey distance.

I do have to admit the MG4 does steer and have better suspension in my opinion.

anyone else in the same boat ? Or owned a model 3 2021+ long term and can give feedback ?

Auto-windows ... my SE SR will auto-close all 4 windows from the driver door controls. (Not tried this from the individual door controls).

Good afternoon all,

I’ve had my MG4 SE since launch and overall I would say I’m okay with the car. It meets my minimum needs and was the best option when the used ev car market was a mess only 6 months ago.

However lots of little things are bugging me about the MG4 - no interior light in the back and no the back of the car is very dark/ gloomy for my little girl, no auto windows up on passenger window, no reversing camera, no heated seats and I’m concerned about how long it’s going to last regarding rusting ( not looking promising )
You have rust where on the car? Don't confuse people's fears with actual evidence. Yes the back is gloomy although it is easy to add a couple of LEDs lights there (someone had a video on this recently). The SE spec is indeed reduced to match the low price.

Now approved used Tesla M3’s have dropped to sane pricing I’ve got to admit I’m tempted. I can get a 2 year old standard range one for £30k and that will have 2 years + 1 year extended approved warranty and still 6 years on battery / drivetrain.
Yes, this is doable. Tesla make a great product. Whether it is worth trading in to pay substantially more for a second hand replacement is an individual decision but the evidence is that Teslas last well.
I ended test driving one today and overall loved the experience - software better in everyway, heated seats all around and steering wheel, glass roof for child, sentry mode is a big win and how efficient it was even with heater etc - showing 250 on the range, I went for a hour test drive and it only dropped by 10miles which was my journey distance.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the pros and cons. MG4 is cheaper too, both new and second hand and it is a proper hatchback unlike the 3. But of course if you want a Tesla, then go for a Tesla if you can afford it.

Personally we didn't want to spend Tesla money (new or used) and we don't like the look of Tesla products, but that's a personal thing, plus not having a hatch would be a real pain for going to the tip etc...

Good luck with your decision.

When my 4 gets rejected I intend to look at a used model 3.
I think you and Teslas would be a great fit. They are the best EVs for performance.

Or you could go classic and get yourself one of these! 😁😁😁

EED79417-B443-4063-ADF8-DC9E9C5F3EA6.jpeg

Or you could go classic and get yourself one of these! 😁😁😁

Honestly if you don't do a huge amount of miles this isn't a bad option! No need to worry about software updates either :D

And now, Tesla have announced (rather quietly) a big reduction in the price of the Model Y, brand new now starts at £44K

The marketplace on Autotrader has a number of private Model Y sales (71 plate) with more than 25K miles on them, asking £45K plus. The car market is about to be shaken yet again, in part one could argue due to the MG4 and SAIC's aggressive pricing, perhaps Mr Musk is now looking for knock out punches and to dominate market share.

And now, Tesla have announced (rather quietly) a big reduction in the price of the Model Y, brand new now starts at £44K

The marketplace on Autotrader has a number of private Model Y sales (71 plate) with more than 25K miles on them, asking £45K plus. The car market is about to be shaken yet again, in part one could argue due to the MG4 and SAIC's aggressive pricing, perhaps Mr Musk is now looking for knock out punches and to dominate market share.
I thank MG for entering the market with the MG4, even if it's had some teething issues it's caught a lot of people's attention and I'm sure companies are looking at reducing prices to combat that, they might even be releasing more budget friendly options.

More competition is always great for us consumers.

Good afternoon all,

anyone else in the same boat ? Or owned a model 3 2021+ long term and can give feedback ?
Did you notice a significant drop in range when turning the heaters on with an MG4? From what I've seen it only drops by 5-10 miles which isn't the end of the world, same drop you'd expect when turning on the AC in a ICE car.

Interesting reaction from Renault, price reduction across the Megan e-tech range?

Just seen a launch edition (top of the range) at a main dealer for £35,900 last week these were asking £30-39K

Glad I cancelled my trophy order, I think I will sit on the sidelines and see where the market goes.

MG have indeed shaken the market.
Unfortunately they may also be the architects of their own downfall, as their only real USP was price.
We can all see the car is deeply flawed, but the low price meant some suffer it.
No need to suffer now, get another make.

I thank MG for entering the market with the MG4, even if it's had some teething issues it's caught a lot of people's attention and I'm sure companies are looking at reducing prices to combat that, they might even be releasing more budget friendly options.

More competition is always great for us consumers.

Did you notice a significant drop in range when turning the heaters on with an MG4? From what I've seen it only drops by 5-10 miles which isn't the end of the world, same drop you'd expect when turning on the AC in a ICE car.

When have you noticed range reduction using AC in an ICE car?
I can switch on/off AC in our polo and Evoque, zero difference to ‘miles to empty’.
Instant and sizeable reduction in an EV.
It’s not a dig at the 4, all EVs do it.
Just disagree with your comment that’s in the same in an ICE.

When have you noticed range reduction using AC in an ICE car?
I can switch on/off AC in our polo and Evoque, zero difference to ‘miles to empty’.
Instant and sizeable reduction in an EV.
It’s not a dig at the 4, all EVs do it.
Just disagree with your comment that’s in the same in an ICE.
The miles to empty readers are pretty inaccurate, I've noticed it in all the cars I've driven and I note down the starting miles for with/without AC.

Interesting reaction from Renault, price reduction across the Megan e-tech range?

Just seen a launch edition (top of the range) at a main dealer for £35,900 last week these were asking £30-39K

Glad I cancelled my trophy order, I think I will sit on the sidelines and see where the market goes.

Just checked Carwow and offers for the midrange Techno trim still just over £38k at best. That's nearly 6% below RRP and about £500 less than when I looked a few weeks ago, but isn't tempting me to cancel our MG4 Trophy order at £31,580.00 (and we did like the Renault).

PCP deals look closer to parity though for those looking at that as an option.

The miles to empty readers are pretty inaccurate, I've noticed it in all the cars I've driven and I note down the starting miles for with/without AC.
My miles left in tank dips when AC is on, as well as a change in throttle response. Not the only car I've had that's done this. You don't even need to see it displayed...you can feel the slight shift in how much gas you need to give it.

Miles to empty readers are inaccurate in any car, ICE or EV.
If I believed mine I’m barely getting 1 mile per KWh.
Currently showing 91% and 109 miles.
So, basically, don’t believe any of them.

My miles left in tank dips when AC is on, as well as a change in throttle response. Not the only car I've had that's done this.

Throttle response changes?
Is it a very low power engine?
Literally the only car I’ve come across this in was a 1.0 litre NA Kia Picanto, where the idle speed would drop when AC was switched on.
Throttle response doesn’t change one little bit in our current ICE cars.
The compressors aren’t on all the time, they’re on a clutch and go on/off all the time.
If you’re noticing consistent throttle response problems I’d suggest there’s an issue.

Throttle response changes?
Is it a very low power engine?
Literally the only car I’ve come across this in was a 1.0 litre NA Kia Picanto, where the idle speed would drop when AC was switched on.
Throttle response doesn’t change one little bit in our current ICE cars.
The compressors aren’t on all the time, they’re on a clutch and go on/off all the time.
If you’re noticing consistent throttle response problems I’d suggest there’s an issue.
Whatever the wording, just because you may not have come across it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The compressor (IIRC) uses energy....how much depends on the car and climate.

When Tesla announced the price cuts, I jumped from an MG4 order to a Model 3 (Standard Range).
There are a lot of minor improvements and freebies that you get in a Tesla as standard that you'd have to pay for in an MG4 that don't get reflected in usual comparisons. The price difference is of course significant, but if you can afford it, definitely go for it.

I will list down some upgrades that I was going to do to the MG4 and respective cost that would've added:
1. Dashcam - 300 Euros
I wanted to add a front+rear one, but a 4-camera dashcam is stanadard on Tesla (along with a 128GB drive)

2. Rear Lights - 30-40 Euros

3. Granny charging cable - 200 Euros
Model 3 came standard with a Type 2 cable and a granny charger standard.

Moreover, there are a lot of other benefits+features that were just not there:

1. Electric Passenger Seat
2. All heated seats
3. Heated Steering
4. Heat Pump (huge difference in cold weather performance)
5. Glass roof
6. Autopilot (It's available, but not really usable), I use the Autopilot during 80% of my driving.
7. Plug&play supercharger support.
8. Front storage
9. All infotainment-related features: Theater, camp mode, games(rarely used), a usable sat-nav, dog mode, sentry mode with live-camera feed.
10. Lockable glovebox
11. Valet Mode
12. Key sharing through the app
13. Cabin overheating protection

This list goes on and on and on. Another thing that irritated me was MG advertising even the most basic features as an upsell in the higher versions. Like an upgrade from a 1-mic to a 2-mic setup in the top-end version. How much money will you save by removing one mic from the lower versions? But then again, how would they create an artificial differentiation among trims with basically everything that's the same mechanically? Even the battery sizes aren't that far apart.
And of course, there are other major benefits in terms of performance, range, charging infrastructure, etc.

If you are on the fence and can make the money work, definitely make the jump.

Just checked Carwow and offers for the midrange Techno trim still just over £38k at best. That's nearly 6% below RRP and about £500 less than when I looked a few weeks ago, but isn't tempting me to cancel our MG4 Trophy order at £31,580.00 (and we did like the Renault).

PCP deals look closer to parity though for those looking at that as an option.

There are delivery mileage Megane e-techs on autotrader from £33000
That’s damn close to trophy money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member