MG4 vs approved Tesla M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked at PCP deals for the megane.
Wow, decent….
Roll on the refund from MG!!!!!!
HURRY UP DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!

There are delivery mileage Megane e-techs on autotrader from £33000
That’s damn close to trophy money.
Trust me there is no comparison you wouldn't be disappointed.
I picked mine up from John Clarks in Aberdeen and they were easy to deal with

Trust me there is no comparison you wouldn't be disappointed.
I picked mine up from John Clarks in Aberdeen and they were easy to deal with

They’re doing £479 down and £479 a month.
I’d up the deposit and haggle them onto 8000 miles a year.
It’s a lovely car I’ve sat in one at the MG dealer (ironically)

@Leni16
As you have experience of the megane…
Does stuff like lane assist stay off??

I have never switched it off, and it works as it did in my Arteon, gentle nothing drastic.

If you do want it off there is a physical button on the right hand side of the dash/steering column, you can switch it on and off there with one press.

I thank MG for entering the market with the MG4, even if it's had some teething issues it's caught a lot of people's attention and I'm sure companies are looking at reducing prices to combat that, they might even be releasing more budget friendly options.

More competition is always great for us consumers.

Did you notice a significant drop in range when turning the heaters on with an MG4? From what I've seen it only drops by 5-10 miles which isn't the end of the world, same drop you'd expect when turning on the AC in a ICE car.
Having the heaters on hammers the range on virtually all EV’s, my MG4 will do 120-130miles in winter as I do lots of short trips so lots of time the car is warming up the cabin.

The Tesla I test drove seamed amazing efficiency wise, I had the cabin a toasty 22c and the range was deadly accurate and read 240miles on the standard model 3 I drove.

When Tesla announced the price cuts, I jumped from an MG4 order to a Model 3 (Standard Range).
There are a lot of minor improvements and freebies that you get in a Tesla as standard that you'd have to pay for in an MG4 that don't get reflected in usual comparisons. The price difference is of course significant, but if you can afford it, definitely go for it.

I will list down some upgrades that I was going to do to the MG4 and respective cost that would've added:
1. Dashcam - 300 Euros
I wanted to add a front+rear one, but a 4-camera dashcam is stanadard on Tesla (along with a 128GB drive)

2. Rear Lights - 30-40 Euros

3. Granny charging cable - 200 Euros
Model 3 came standard with a Type 2 cable and a granny charger standard.

Moreover, there are a lot of other benefits+features that were just not there:

1. Electric Passenger Seat
2. All heated seats
3. Heated Steering
4. Heat Pump (huge difference in cold weather performance)
5. Glass roof
6. Autopilot (It's available, but not really usable), I use the Autopilot during 80% of my driving.
7. Plug&play supercharger support.
8. Front storage
9. All infotainment-related features: Theater, camp mode, games(rarely used), a usable sat-nav, dog mode, sentry mode with live-camera feed.
10. Lockable glovebox
11. Valet Mode
12. Key sharing through the app
13. Cabin overheating protection

This list goes on and on and on. Another thing that irritated me was MG advertising even the most basic features as an upsell in the higher versions. Like an upgrade from a 1-mic to a 2-mic setup in the top-end version. How much money will you save by removing one mic from the lower versions? But then again, how would they create an artificial differentiation among trims with basically everything that's the same mechanically? Even the battery sizes aren't that far apart.
And of course, there are other major benefits in terms of performance, range, charging infrastructure, etc.

If you are on the fence and can make the money work, definitely make the jump.
Thanks for your input. If I was buying my MG4 brand new right now the simple answer is I wouldn’t I would pay the £4k extra and get a approved used M3. Sadly at the time me getting my MG4 used M3’s were nearly £38k+ !!

The problem I have now is I’ll have to take a big hit on my MG4, I think I could get £22k for it and then find the extra £8k ( which I’m happy to do as I feel all the extra features are worth it, but selling this upgrade idea to her indoors is already proving hard ) Grrrr.

The Tesla I test drove seamed amazing efficiency wise, I had the cabin a toasty 22c and the range was deadly accurate and read 240miles on the standard model 3 I drove.
Just a quick note on winter efficiency with the heat pump: My daily driving is 70km x2. In the coldest of days, -2 to 0C, my energy consumption for 70km after defrosting the cabin is usually 18% (extrapolated range: 390km) at 105kmph constant on A roads. On days when it's 5C or higher, I usually get there with 16% consumed (no defrosting). So the extrapolated range is 440km.

However, I recently made a few 250km trips, and here we managed approximately 55% battery consumption at 100kmph constant on A roads. So 450km of range.

Very short trips in cold weather definitely have more impact on range, but my general rule of thumb is to consider a 2% impact on heating up the car once. After that, there isn't a noticeable energy loss to heating unless temperatures are below 0.

Another perspective here:

Model 3 is even more efficient owing to a lower volume in the cabin than Model Y.

Thanks for your input. If I was buying my MG4 brand new right now the simple answer is I wouldn’t I would pay the £4k extra and get a approved used M3. Sadly at the time me getting my MG4 used M3’s were nearly £38k+ !!

The problem I have now is I’ll have to take a big hit on my MG4, I think I could get £22k for it and then find the extra £8k ( which I’m happy to do as I feel all the extra features are worth it, but selling this upgrade idea to her indoors is already proving hard ) Grrrr.

Out of sheer interest I put my MG4 into a few car selling websites yesterday.
£15500 was the best offer I got. 😮
There could be umpteen reasons for such a derisory offer on a 5 month old car with 1700 miles.
But it surely has to be considered the trade is aware of MG4 issues and just does not want them.
How could anyone dismiss that as a possibility?
I honestly pity anyone who wants to get out of their MG4, they may have to take a big hit or be stuck with it.
I’m maybe ‘lucky’ I’m in a position to reject mine.

Out of sheer interest I put my MG4 into a few car selling websites yesterday.
£15500 was the best offer I got. 😮
There could be umpteen reasons for such a derisory offer on a 5 month old car with 1700 miles.
But it surely has to be considered the trade is aware of MG4 issues and just does not want them.
How could anyone dismiss that as a possibility?
I honestly pity anyone who wants to get out of their MG4, they may have to take a big hit or be stuck with it.
I’m maybe ‘lucky’ I’m in a position to reject mine.
I don't know what sites you are using but those values don't look right.

I have found Parkers to be pretty reliable and this is what they give for a 72 plate SR SE with up to 10,000 miles.

C09D6783-826E-46B3-B9BB-2FBE0AF7CC70.jpeg

I don't know what sites you are using but those values don't look right.

I have found Parkers to be pretty reliable and this is what they give for a 72 plate SR SE with up to 10,000 miles.

View attachment 15728

Valuation and what people are prepared to pay are two different things.
It was Arnold Clark website I tried, they gave me £2000 more for my leaf than anyone else.

Valuation and what people are prepared to pay are two different things.
It was Arnold Clark website I tried, they gave me £2000 more for my leaf than anyone else.
Parkers were spot on for what we sold our Skoda for (including the increase in value since we ordered) and have been right for us for previously, their values are derived from what people are actually paying in the trade.

Slight improvement with WBAC
Still very poor though.
I got over £22k for a year old leaf Acenta (the base model)
600D8109-30EC-4C06-B60B-21FF6558447F.png

They never give a decent price, the whole point is they will buy anything.

That’s a myth, I’ve used them several times where their offers were the best and very decent.
You shop around, you take the best offer.
I’ve also shown that a site I’ve used before that offered considerably more than WBAC on that occasion is offering considerably less than them this time.
So it would appear ‘no one’ is offering good money on used 4s.
Feel free to input your own car details into any of them and see for yourself.

That’s a myth, I’ve used them several times where their offers were the best and very decent.
You shop around, you take the best offer.
I’ve also shown that a site I’ve used before that offered considerably more than WBAC on that occasion is offering considerably less than them this time.
So it would appear ‘no one’ is offering good money on used 4s.
Feel free to input your own car details into any of them and see for yourself.
Lol! So 5 minutes of market research on 2 sites and you have the definitive answer for the whole market.😂😂😂

Lol! So 5 minutes of market research on 2 sites and you have the definitive answer for the whole market.😂😂😂

Like I said, feel free to try your own.
I’ve just used two sites I’ve had successful dealings with before.
I’m not interested in the way motorway do things, too much hassle, so can’t comment on them.

Why anyone uses companies like WBAC is beyond me. I’ve always sold privately, the last car I sold would have been £6k less selling to WBAC 🤔

Virtually all complaints addressed by OP are solved by the Trophy model.

And WBAC screw you over.

However i sold a car using motorway 6 months ago. It’s exactly as they describe the process, no hidden charges and i got 10800 compared to the 9000 WBAC offered.

Only thing to look out for is the actual dealer collects and pays you on the day and they might tweak a bit off if they see issues.

I still got 1500 more tho!

Why anyone uses companies like WBAC is beyond me. I’ve always sold privately, the last car I sold would have been £6k less selling to WBAC 🤔

£6k is an extreme example, anytime I’ve sold cars to these car-buying sites the difference between what they’ve offered and what I could potentially get privately has been far less.
And I cannot be bothered selling privately, it’s a hassle from start to finish, I’ve done it enough times either cars and bikes to know.
Photos, advertising, messages that say ‘what is best price’, waiting in for peopke, haggling.
Sod that any more, praise be to the car-buying sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums