MG4 vs approved Tesla M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,

I’ve had my MG4 SE since launch and overall I would say I’m okay with the car. It meets my minimum needs and was the best option when the used ev car market was a mess only 6 months ago.

However lots of little things are bugging me about the MG4 - no interior light in the back and no the back of the car is very dark/ gloomy for my little girl, no auto windows up on passenger window, no reversing camera, no heated seats and I’m concerned about how long it’s going to last regarding rusting ( not looking promising )

Now approved used Tesla M3’s have dropped to sane pricing I’ve got to admit I’m tempted. I can get a 2 year old standard range one for £30k and that will have 2 years + 1 year extended approved warranty and still 6 years on battery / drivetrain.

I ended test driving one today and overall loved the experience - software better in everyway, heated seats all around and steering wheel, glass roof for child, sentry mode is a big win and how efficient it was even with heater etc - showing 250 on the range, I went for a hour test drive and it only dropped by 10miles which was my journey distance.

I do have to admit the MG4 does steer and have better suspension in my opinion.

anyone else in the same boat ? Or owned a model 3 2021+ long term and can give feedback ?
Why is it not looking promising re:rusting? Have you got rust? If not what’s your worry? It’s a new car. Making comments based on nothing are not helpful. I’m a bit worried about getting abducted by aliens 🤔
Re: lack of some equipment, don’t know what your problem is. You bought an SE, you got an SE. You weren’t lied to. If you want everything, go for the higher spec. It’s not rocket science, the concept of different specs at different prices has been around for decades.
I’m sure a used Tesla is great, but the point is you get a brand new MG4 SE for the same price.
I’m not sure I understand any of the points you make in your comment.

MG have indeed shaken the market.
Unfortunately they may also be the architects of their own downfall, as their only real USP was price.
We can all see the car is deeply flawed, but the low price meant some suffer it.
No need to suffer now, get another make.

When have you noticed range reduction using AC in an ICE car?
I can switch on/off AC in our polo and Evoque, zero difference to ‘miles to empty’.
Instant and sizeable reduction in an EV.
It’s not a dig at the 4, all EVs do it.
Just disagree with your comment that’s in the same in an ICE.
Air con in ICE cars will have a similar effect on increase in consumption, it just that you will need to drive it for a while with it on for the computer to recalculate, which are pretty inaccurate anyway. Air con uses energy to operate and it has to come from somewhere, and in an ICE car that is usually from a compressor on a drive belt which will increase load on the engine and increase fuel consumption. Basic physics.

Air con in ICE cars will have a similar effect on increase in consumption, it just that you will need to drive it for a while with it on for the computer to recalculate, which are pretty inaccurate anyway. Air con uses energy to operate and it has to come from somewhere, and in an ICE car that is usually from a compressor on a drive belt which will increase load on the engine and increase fuel consumption. Basic physics.

But modern AC compressors work on a clutch, only coming on when needed.
Specifically so the load isn’t constant, like it used to be.
It’s nowhere near the 10% people used to say about AC any more.

I know. Which is exactly the same as an EV which air con only draws power when it is switched on.

You are funny - AC compressors have a clutch ever since they became mainstream 50 years ago. Now they are variable displacement and are regulated stepless without the need for a clutch.

Why is it not looking promising re:rusting? Have you got rust? If not what’s your worry? It’s a new car. Making comments based on nothing are not helpful. I’m a bit worried about getting abducted by aliens 🤔
Re: lack of some equipment, don’t know what your problem is. You bought an SE, you got an SE. You weren’t lied to. If you want everything, go for the higher spec. It’s not rocket science, the concept of different specs at different prices has been around for decades.
I’m sure a used Tesla is great, but the point is you get a brand new MG4 SE for the same price.
I’m not sure I understand any of the points you make in your comment.
People have already commented that the body isn’t galvanised nor any sort of under seal has been applied, there is also the subframe that collects water all this plus the ZS rusting badly says to me that we can expect the same of the MG4, how long will this take I don’t know the anti perforation warranty is only 6 years.

I’m not saying the SE is bad for the money, it’s still good value. I was saying that personally I think the used Tesla M3 is equally good value for all the features and extras you get and that if you have the the extra funds it should be considered.

MG have indeed shaken the market.
Unfortunately they may also be the architects of their own downfall, as their only real USP was price.
We can all see the car is deeply flawed, but the low price meant some suffer it.
No need to suffer now, get another make.

When have you noticed range reduction using AC in an ICE car?
I can switch on/off AC in our polo and Evoque, zero difference to ‘miles to empty’.
Instant and sizeable reduction in an EV.
It’s not a dig at the 4, all EVs do it.
Just disagree with your comment that’s in the same in an ICE.
MG parent company SAIC is the 5th largest manufacturer in the world and has been building electric vehicles for a very long time in China from commercial vehicles to public transport. VW Group choose them as major manufacturing partners in 1986 to help boost their flagging manufacturing output, as have many main motor vehicle manufacturers, a government funded cash rich manufacturing giant that have already saturated the market in one way or another.

As far as prices go Tesla from start has been pulling 30 plus % profit per vehicle sold plus 8-10% extra from ‘enhanced software upgrades’. Their manufacturing costs have steadily reduced and the strategy was always to reduce prices (but keep the 30% profit margins) once the mainstream manufactures start to take electric vehicles seriously. With China getting a push in Europe and the US it’s time to start sell Teslas at the price they should be.

As far as prices go Tesla from start has been pulling 30 plus % profit per vehicle sold plus 8-10% extra from ‘enhanced software upgrades’. Their manufacturing costs have steadily reduced and the strategy was always to reduce prices (but keep the 30% profit margins) once the mainstream manufactures start to take electric vehicles seriously. With China getting a push in Europe and the US it’s time to start sell Teslas at the price they should be.

In terms of performance, Tesla look an absolute bargain.
What other 4 door saloon out there does 0-60 in 5 seconds, even in the base trim??
I’ve yet to speak to Tesla about PCP, I’m a little confused about who deals with what and where,
For example, they say they have an M3 coming into their Aberdeen branch, but it seems to want to direct you to Corby for all enquiries and says the car can be collected from Edinburgh…
Weird.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

I’ve had my MG4 SE since launch and overall I would say I’m okay with the car. It meets my minimum needs and was the best option when the used ev car market was a mess only 6 months ago.

However lots of little things are bugging me about the MG4 - no interior light in the back and no the back of the car is very dark/ gloomy for my little girl, no auto windows up on passenger window, no reversing camera, no heated seats and I’m concerned about how long it’s going to last regarding rusting ( not looking promising )

Now approved used Tesla M3’s have dropped to sane pricing I’ve got to admit I’m tempted. I can get a 2 year old standard range one for £30k and that will have 2 years + 1 year extended approved warranty and still 6 years on battery / drivetrain.

I ended test driving one today and overall loved the experience - software better in everyway, heated seats all around and steering wheel, glass roof for child, sentry mode is a big win and how efficient it was even with heater etc - showing 250 on the range, I went for a hour test drive and it only dropped by 10miles which was my journey distance.

I do have to admit the MG4 does steer and have better suspension in my opinion.

anyone else in the same boat ? Or owned a model 3 2021+ long term and can give feedback ?
Go for it, life is too short, and 30K for an M3 is excellent!

It's not a like for like in any way, in relation to an M3 be it used Vs and MG4 SR.
Take Musk out the equation and the Tesla package of performance and technology is way ahead of anything else
It depends on what you are after, totally different cars, small family hatchback v a big family saloon.
If you are just after one of the best most efficient EVs on the market then Tesla wins hands down

In terms of performance, Tesla look an absolute bargain.
What other 4 door saloon out there does 0-60 in 5 seconds, even in the base trim??
I’ve yet to speak to Tesla about PCP, I’m a little confused about who deals with what and where,
For example, they say they have an M3 coming into their Aberdeen branch, but it seems to want to direct you to Corby for all enquiries and says the car can be collected from Edinburgh…
Weird.
I liked the Model 3 but no hatchback makes it a no for my use and not keen on the SUV style of the Y.
Not much in it on the road though. Had a Model 3 pull out to pass me going from a 30 to a 60 zone, they had to pull back in as I pulled a few car lengths on them, we stopped at the same services a few miles later and he was impressed as was flooring it 🙃. A slight advantage at over 6ish sec to 60 for the Model 3, with real world burst acceleration 0-30, 30-50, 50-70 I’ve found my Trophy matches both the M3 and bmw i4 in standard trim (lowest price points of the two). And the MG 4 definitely handles better than the Model 3, much closer to the i4 in feel. The 4 wheel drive twin motor MG4 will be interesting as it will then be placed at the normal (for ev) and high performance level as far as the model goes.
And I can fit this sort of stuff in it too

Attachments

• 6C78C995-81F1-4AF3-8E8D-5491F08960D9.jpeg
    6C78C995-81F1-4AF3-8E8D-5491F08960D9.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 27E82F3A-AF9E-41E9-9ADB-101FDD3BACF0.jpeg
    27E82F3A-AF9E-41E9-9ADB-101FDD3BACF0.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 70
  • A4F8EE85-8119-46A9-A7D0-5229420FE134.jpeg
    A4F8EE85-8119-46A9-A7D0-5229420FE134.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 70
Saw a blog where the awd was quoted at over £40k now, battery will be it's down side, it's built to be driven with a bit of exuberance, it will rattle through the trophy battery. I know it's all about weight but it may have benefitted from the extended ranges proposed 77kw battery

Saw a blog where the awd was quoted at over £40k now, battery will be it's down side, it's built to be driven with a bit of exuberance, it will rattle through the trophy battery. I know it's all about weight but it may have benefitted from the extended ranges proposed 77kw battery
Yeah, I’m surprised it’s not getting the extended range battery. I wonder how much that would add to its price.

I liked the Model 3 but no hatchback makes it a no for my use and not keen on the SUV style of the Y.
Not much in it on the road though. Had a Model 3 pull out to pass me going from a 30 to a 60 zone, they had to pull back in as I pulled a few car lengths on them, we stopped at the same services a few miles later and he was impressed as was flooring it 🙃. A slight advantage at over 6ish sec to 60 for the Model 3, with real world burst acceleration 0-30, 30-50, 50-70 I’ve found my Trophy matches both the M3 and bmw i4 in standard trim (lowest price points of the two). And the MG 4 definitely handles better than the Model 3, much closer to the i4 in feel. The 4 wheel drive twin motor MG4 will be interesting as it will then be placed at the normal (for ev) and high performance level as far as the model goes.
And I can fit this sort of stuff in it too

Hatchback or boot doesn’t bother me, either can go unopened for weeks on end.
Performance wise the M3 should muller my SE SR which, even when it went as it should, didn’t exactly rocket up to its top speed (other owners have confirmed the same, so not just mine)
The M3 is 5.3 seconds to 60mph, the big battery MG4 is 7.7 seconds.
That’s a very noticeable difference that should carry forward right through , maybe the guy you encountered was just a bit of a woose.

Hatchback or boot doesn’t bother me, either can go unopened for weeks on end.
Performance wise the M3 should muller my SE SR which, even when it went as it should, didn’t exactly rocket up to its top speed (other owners have confirmed the same, so not just mine)
The M3 is 5.3 seconds to 60mph, the big battery MG4 is 7.7 seconds.
That’s a very noticeable difference that should carry forward right through , maybe the guy you encountered was just a bit of a woose.
Agreed a standard range model 3 is over 2 secs quicker 0-60 than the 4 and keeps pulling a lot quicker to and past 100mph than the 4. So the 4 wouldn't stand a chance in any type of race, neither would any of the current small family EVs, including the Born which is a second faster than the 4,id3, Megane.
Again though two very different cars

Agreed a standard range model 3 is over 2 secs quicker 0-60 than the 4 and keeps pulling a lot quicker to and past 100mph than the 4. So the 4 wouldn't stand a chance in any type of race, neither would any of the current small family EVs, including the Born which is a second faster than the 4,id3, Megane.
Again though two very different cars

A born is also on my list as a replacement.

A born is also on my list as a replacement.
Loved my shot of a born, neighbour has one also, very quick, quicker than the 4 and my Megane (having driven all of them) the buttons and Infotainment spoiled it for me, although my neighbour says he's now used to them but took a while

When Tesla announced the price cuts, I jumped from an MG4 order to a Model 3 (Standard Range).
There are a lot of minor improvements and freebies that you get in a Tesla as standard that you'd have to pay for in an MG4 that don't get reflected in usual comparisons. The price difference is of course significant, but if you can afford it, definitely go for it.

I will list down some upgrades that I was going to do to the MG4 and respective cost that would've added:
1. Dashcam - 300 Euros
I wanted to add a front+rear one, but a 4-camera dashcam is stanadard on Tesla (along with a 128GB drive)

2. Rear Lights - 30-40 Euros

3. Granny charging cable - 200 Euros
Model 3 came standard with a Type 2 cable and a granny charger standard.

Moreover, there are a lot of other benefits+features that were just not there:

1. Electric Passenger Seat
2. All heated seats
3. Heated Steering
4. Heat Pump (huge difference in cold weather performance)
5. Glass roof
6. Autopilot (It's available, but not really usable), I use the Autopilot during 80% of my driving.
7. Plug&play supercharger support.
8. Front storage
9. All infotainment-related features: Theater, camp mode, games(rarely used), a usable sat-nav, dog mode, sentry mode with live-camera feed.
10. Lockable glovebox
11. Valet Mode
12. Key sharing through the app
13. Cabin overheating protection

This list goes on and on and on. Another thing that irritated me was MG advertising even the most basic features as an upsell in the higher versions. Like an upgrade from a 1-mic to a 2-mic setup in the top-end version. How much money will you save by removing one mic from the lower versions? But then again, how would they create an artificial differentiation among trims with basically everything that's the same mechanically? Even the battery sizes aren't that far apart.
And of course, there are other major benefits in terms of performance, range, charging infrastructure, etc.

If you are on the fence and can make the money work, definitely make the jump.
I must admit when you list the advantages of an M3 it sounds quite compelling, I did consider changing my MG5 LR but at 71 years old I find the M3 a bit too low for me, a firmer ride and boot access for my golf clubs isn't ideal, but I can definitely see the attraction of changing to an M3. The Model Y would be ideal for me but a bit too expensive. I believe all Tesla's RRP are over 40 grand which attracts the luxury car tax for 5 years which continues when you buy one second hand.

I must admit when you list the advantages of an M3 it sounds quite compelling, I did consider changing my MG5 LR but at 71 years old I find the M3 a bit too low for me, a firmer ride and boot access for my golf clubs isn't ideal, but I can definitely see the attraction of changing to an M3. The Model Y would be ideal for me but a bit too expensive. I believe all Tesla's RRP are over 40 grand which attracts the luxury car tax for 5 years which continues when you buy one second hand.

As I understand the new roadtax rules, existing Tesla owners will pay £165 a year from 2025, same as anyone with an EV newer than 2017.
Only cars registered after April 2025 will have the luxury tax supplement of £355 added (meaning a total of £520 a year).

I can see Tesla M3s at NEC Birmingham for around £23k now and I am tempted to move to one. Mileage is around 27k-50k depending on colour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums