MG4 vs approved Tesla M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit when you list the advantages of an M3 it sounds quite compelling, I did consider changing my MG5 LR but at 71 years old I find the M3 a bit too low for me, a firmer ride and boot access for my golf clubs isn't ideal, but I can definitely see the attraction of changing to an M3. The Model Y would be ideal for me but a bit too expensive. I believe all Tesla's RRP are over 40 grand which attracts the luxury car tax for 5 years which continues when you buy one second hand.
This is true. I have occasionally hit my head on the doorsill getting in and out if I was in a hurry. Need to be more careful.
About the seating I like a low riding position so that isn’t too much of a problem, but I am also only 28 :) I would recommend testing the boot with the golf clubs, while no hatchback it’s definitely larger than it looks on the outside.

Some cheaper M3s back in used under the price of the MG4. I'm due to pick my MG4 up tomorrow but having some last minute thoughts.

Do I want a shiny new car which will probably loose value as I drive off, or do I swap for a 2019 M3 which has lost half its value already?

Some cheaper M3s back in used under the price of the MG4. I'm due to pick my MG4 up tomorrow but having some last minute thoughts.

Do I want a shiny new car which will probably loose value as I drive off, or do I swap for a 2019 M3 which has lost half its value already?
Go for the model 3
Best decision I ever made after trying 2 MG4'S and rejecting them both.
The model 3 is way ahead of MG and the service from Tesla is absolutely fantastic.

Do you want a brand new car or one 4 years old?

There's only one person can answer that question ... and it's not any of us. ;)

Not really fussed tbh, I've always had hand me downs so a new car would have been a first but then I'm worried about that big depreciation.

If buying it’s not an issue for you.
But for anyone looking to PCP a used Tesla, they will only do so up to the car being 7 years old.
So, for example, if you wanted a three year old Tesla on PCP, you’re only getting a 3 year deal maximum (whereas 4 years is the pretty much the PCP standard now)

If buying it’s not an issue for you.
But for anyone looking to PCP a used Tesla, they will only do so up to the car being 7 years old.
So, for example, if you wanted a three year old Tesla on PCP, you’re only getting a 3 year deal maximum (whereas 4 years is the pretty much the PCP standard now)
I'm not doing PCP, just cash via a loan I've had.

Short of the ‘new car smell’ and some thrill about being the first owner, what advantage does a new MG give over a used Tesla?
Both have warranties.
Well actually my new MG4 doesn't have the new car smell for some reason. I don't mind, it isn't something I care about.

The advantages are:
  • 40,000-50,000 miles less wear and tear on the car and components.
  • Avoid 4 years of someone else's dirt / poor care / damage to the interior.
  • Avoid 4 years of wear and tear on the exterior paint and glass.
  • Full warranty, not just the balance remaining.
  • A more modern design (yes really, have you seen a M3, it is like a 90s egg car!)

Now you might not care about any of these, fine, buy a M3, but they are reasons that some people care about.

Well actually my new MG4 doesn't have the new car smell for some reason. I don't mind, it isn't something I care about.

The advantages are:
  • 40,000-50,000 miles less wear and tear on the car and components.
  • Avoid 4 years of someone else's dirt / poor care / damage to the interior.
  • Avoid 4 years of wear and tear on the exterior paint and glass.
  • Full warranty, not just the balance remaining.
  • A more modern design (yes really, have you seen a M3, it is like a 90s egg car!)

Now you might not care about any of these, fine, buy a M3, but they are reasons that some people care about.

Yeah the styling I will give you, although I don’t hate the M3 styling.
Tesla give used cars the balance of the warranty plus an extra year.
They also guarantee the exterior and interior is up to a certain standard, if it’s not you pick another one.
The ones I’ve been looking at are barely half the miles you’ve mentioned (probably on 6000-8000 mile per year deals)

Yeah the styling I will give you, although I don’t hate the M3 styling.
Tesla give used cars the balance of the warranty plus an extra year.
They also guarantee the exterior and interior is up to a certain standard, if it’s not you pick another one.
The ones I’ve been looking at are barely half the miles you’ve mentioned (probably on 6000-8000 mile per year deals)
It is a fine car the M3, will suit many people, if you can get low mileage used one in vgc, go for it.

If you can source a M3 from Tesla themselves, it will come with remainder of the 4 year/50k miles warranty plus another extra year.
And trust me the warranty is awesome, bumper to bumper covered.
I've had a few minor issues with mine and all have been fixed without hesitation.
Slight fogging to the front and rear lights resulted in replacements all round at a cost of around £2k had it not been under warranty.
They are proactive in resolving any issues rather than dodging them.
They'll also send a Tesla Ranger out to your house to fix if they can do it there, which is a HUGE bonus.
Tesla also usually provide Enhanced Autopilot on their used inventory stock which is a £3.5k option if you want it later.
After both of my MG4's and the reluctance of MG to take ownership of it's issues, I wouldn't touch another one with a bargepole as much as I did love my ZS.

Styling wise I agree it's showing its age a little but still a fine looking car, if a little over popular now.
IMG_20221230_063833_152.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video