MG4 vs approved Tesla M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of it seems to depend on the quality of the local dealer. Newer MG4s have fewer issues especially if the dealer diligently do their checks and apply all the updates.

I think we need better rating of dealers so people can seek out the good ones and the others die off.

There have definitely been some lemons, but a lot of people have good cars and just a few software niggles to put up with - and there are software niggles pretty much on every make, including Teslas that still don't have features like Car Play / Android Auto (yes I know it has "equivalents" but I want my phone apps, my choices).

The other downside with Tesla is you are essentially just a number and on the wrong side of their efficiency squeeze in everything they do - if they can save money and put the cost on you, they will.

As Tesla grow, they will encounter demand problems. People want modern looks, a wider range of models and styles and choices that will fight against Tesla's one-size-fits-all approach. Yes, they are well positioned to lower prices and keep them low but we are years behind their promises for a truly affordable car.

If I was MG, I wouldn't be that worried about Tesla since they've yet to prove they want to / can compete in the low cost segment and when they do it may be just one model while the MG platform will have many variants by then.
I like what you say about bad dealers dying off by rating them. Some of them are shocking. It's almost like you've been given the car by them for nothing.

Well I see it this way, why should Tesla make their prices truly affordable when most of their competition are still priced higher and have hardly made a dent to Tesla sales until last couple years.

If I was them I'll keep my prices high as well until competition forces me to bring it down as we are seeing these days.

There's a sub-board that covers (pretty much) all the dealers - perhaps people should post in the board for their respective dealers to provide feedback?

MG Dealer Discussions and drill down.
Nice one Guru

People who have made the plunge to M3, how are you finding the insurance rates? I was considering m3, but the insurance is nearly 3 times what I am currently paying for my Mg4 SE.

People who have made the plunge to M3, how are you finding the insurance rates? I was considering m3, but the insurance is nearly 3 times what I am currently paying for my Mg4 SE.

I checked and my insurance was going to go from £220 a year (MG4 SE SR) to £288 a year (Tesla M3 standard model)

Prove it.

What’s the point?
Doesn’t matter what alternative EV deal I could find you’ll find something about it you don’t like, because you want to feel the MG is the best deal and you’ve not missed anything.
I’ve been looking a lot lately in preparation for my 4 going and I’m telling you the deposit and monthlies you’ve mentioned are not spectacular.

I am also on the 7.9% deal, £4k down, £443 a month 4 years and 20,000 miles a year. I didn't see anything close at the time. Have not checked lately though

Holy moly….
I realise 20k miles bumps up PCP…
But just wow….
£24821 to have an MG4 for 4 years…
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Last edited:
Holy moly….
I realise 20k miles bumps up PCP…
But just wow….
£24821 to have an MG4 for 4 years…
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF
Yeah, that’s expensive. Just to compare, I thought I’d check what the PCP (with the same £4,000 deposit) on a new Tesla M3 (with 20,000 annual mileage) would come to a month - £692. That would come to £37,216 to have an M3 for four years.

Yeah, that’s expensive. Just to compare, I thought I’d check what the PCP (with the same £4,000 deposit) on a new Tesla M3 (with 20,000 annual mileage) would come to a month - £692. That would come to £37,216 to have an M3 for four years.

Tesla only do three years PCP.
So it would be £4k down and 35 x £692
So £28220.

What’s the point?
Doesn’t matter what alternative EV deal I could find you’ll find something about it you don’t like, because you want to feel the MG is the best deal and you’ve not missed anything.
I’ve been looking a lot lately in preparation for my 4 going and I’m telling you the deposit and monthlies you’ve mentioned are not spectacular.
🤣🤣🤣 So you can't back up your claims. Thought so.

Tesla only do three years PCP.
So it would be £4k down and 35 x £692
So £28220.
Found this on their website. For personal owners of a new M3, the PCP figures according to their website are:

Downpayment £4,000

Annual miles 20,000 miles

Term 48 Months

Monthly payment £716

So that would come to £38,368. And that’s just the standard M3.

🤣🤣🤣 So you can't back up your claims. Thought so
To be fair you can get a V2 Cupar Born for £18 more than a trophy a month
£4000 customer deposit, 10000 miles £432 MG, £450 Born.

You add in confirmed dealer contributions, I know for a fact you can get £1000 for a Born, say you got between £500-£750 for the trophy you are down to under £15 a month difference.

Born's finance is only 5.2% MG is 8.9% big difference, no comparison on cars.

Always said since the price and Apr rise that the SE cars still don't have competition but the trophy has moved into a different area and is now not the bargain it once was.

You add in confirmed dealer contributions, I know for a fact you can get £1000 for a Born, say you got between £500-£750 for the trophy you are down to under £15 a month difference.

Always said since the price and Apr rise that the SE cars still don't have competition but the trophy has moved into a different area and is now not the bargain it once was.
Thank you for providing evidence, that's great (and all I was looking for!), I am going to trust that this is a spec-for-spec comparison.

I would say that the MG Trophy is still cheaper and that will make the difference for some. It is still cheap, if not the bargain is it was. Prices aren't the same.

When I was shopping nothing could beat the MG deal and the Born would be £85/m more than I am paying! And I am no master negotiator, I didn't negotiate at all, simply accepted the finance offer I was quoted. No reduction in list price at the time.

Back to Tesla M3 vs. Mg4 - it appears a new Tesla makes no sense financially (cost and depreciation) but a good second hand one with low miles could be a viable alternative on PCP - if you can get it at the right price.

But beware cash buying with Tesla dropping new prices and dumping volume on the market which could cause residuals to tumble in the future.

That's a Born 10000 miles price comparing with Trophy 20000 miles price.

In fact, Born 20000 miles will cost you £518.

Thank you for providing evidence, that's great (and all I was looking for!), I am going to trust that this is a spec-for-spec comparison.

I would say that the MG Trophy is still cheaper and that will make the difference for some. It is still cheap, if not the bargain is it was. Prices aren't the same.

When I was shopping nothing could beat the MG deal and the Born would be £85/m more than I am paying! And I am no master negotiator, I didn't negotiate at all, simply accepted the finance offer I was quoted. No reduction in list price at the time.

Back to Tesla M3 vs. Mg4 - it appears a new Tesla makes no sense financially (cost and depreciation) but a good second hand one with low miles could be a viable alternative on PCP - if you can get it at the right price.

But beware cash buying with Tesla dropping new prices and dumping volume on the market which could cause residuals to tumble in the future.
It is the V2 spec Born so almost like for like, no 360 camera but full sensors and rear camera and head up display. Born also has it on performance about a second faster 0-60mph. So and interesting choice

Tesla's seem to be aiming squarely at business drivers their contract lease figures as so much cheaper than their PCP figures.

PCP £4000 deposit 4 years, 10000 miles £588 month.

PCH £4000 deposit 4 years, 10000 miles £434 month.

Big difference! Between the 2.

That's a Born 10000 miles price comparing with Trophy 20000 miles price.

In fact, Born 20000 miles will cost you £518.
I have compare like for like both 10000 miles

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-092525.png
    Screenshot_20230326-092525.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20230326-092706.png
    Screenshot_20230326-092706.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 52
I have compare like for like both 10000 miles
Indeed - there are two separate discussions being confused here. You correctly responded to my case (10,000miles), proving that £365/m is not remotely possible for people buying now (£450/m typical).

But the other example quoted above - I forgot who - was 20,000 miles, hence the confusion.

£28 a month difference for 20000 miles

🤣🤣🤣 So you can't back up your claims. Thought so.

Don’t be such a man-child.
Here’s just one example.
Arnold Clark are doing new Citroen C4-E from £369 down and £369 a month.
So what do you think a £4K deposit is going to do to those monthlies???
It’s roughly £20 per £1000 of deposit, so under £300 a month for the base model (which is still well equipped, nice proper 18 inch alloys, not budget alloys covered by plastic)
If you want the top spec one, it’s £389 down and £389 a month.
Full leather, head up display, premium stereo etc etc

But now you’re just going to whine about something about the C4-e that doesn’t ‘exactly match the 4 so it’s not the same’ bleat bleat bleat

Just demonstrating there are alternatives to the 4 out there for the same or less money, it’s really not my fault that you can’t use google properly. 🤷‍♂️

Found this on their website. For personal owners of a new M3, the PCP figures according to their website are:

Downpayment £4,000

Annual miles 20,000 miles

Term 48 Months

Monthly payment £716

So that would come to £38,368. And that’s just the standard M3.

That makes zero sense and would need a discussion with Tesla.
They’re doing inventory cars for £38k, so the above would mean zero residual value.
Even using the latest reduced price (not inventory) of £43k would mean a residual of £5k
Again, clearly not the case.
Something very wrong with those calculations (not saying it’s your error)

That's not bad at all! Maybe it's my post code, my MG4 insurance is 450 and cheapest Tesla M3 quotes I got was 1300!!

Did you maybe select the performance model or something?
The standard RWD model, although miles faster than any current MG, shouldn’t be three times the insurance cost.

Don’t be such a man-child.
Thanks for finally replying with data, rather than unsubstantiated claims.
Here’s just one example.
Arnold Clark are doing new Citroen C4-E from £369 down and £369 a month.
So what do you think a £4K deposit is going to do to those monthlies???
It’s roughly £20 per £1000 of deposit, so under £300 a month for the base model (which is still well equipped, nice proper 18 inch alloys, not budget alloys covered by plastic)
If you want the top spec one, it’s £389 down and £389 a month.
Full leather, head up display, premium stereo etc etc
This is a competitor to the MG4 SE - it has a 50kWh battery and 220 miles WLTP range, so you need to be comparing with the £26k MG finance quotes there. And it doesn't match your claim that you could achieve £365/m either, this is £25/m more.

To help you out, I've attached the latest MG finance quote for an SE over the same 4yrs/10,000miles and it is £330/m -> £60/m cheaper than this competition.
But now you’re just going to whine about something about the C4-e that doesn’t ‘exactly match the 4 so it’s not the same’ bleat bleat bleat
Yes - because you are comparing it with a car that competes with the SE SR!
Just demonstrating there are alternatives to the 4 out there for the same or less money, it’s really not my fault that you can’t use google properly. 🤷‍♂️
There are alternatives that are cheaper but not that are direct competitors - you can get a Leaf cheaper but it lacks the thermally managed battery pack and is an update of a very old design. The competitors that people generally consider are the Megane eTech, Kia Niro, Cupra Born, Tesla M3, etc...

45FE30A4-6220-48D5-AB92-F73915128445.jpeg

Thanks for finally replying with data, rather than unsubstantiated claims.

This is a competitor to the MG4 SE - it has a 50kWh battery and 220 miles WLTP range, so you need to be comparing with the £26k MG finance quotes there. And it doesn't match your claim that you could achieve £365/m either, this is £25/m more.

To help you out, I've attached the latest MG finance quote for an SE over the same 4yrs/10,000miles and it is £330/m -> £60/m cheaper than this competition.

Yes - because you are comparing it with a car that competes with the SE SR!

There are alternatives that are cheaper but not that are direct competitors - you can get a Leaf cheaper but it lacks the thermally managed battery pack and is an update of a very old design. The competitors that people generally consider are the Megane eTech, Kia Niro, Cupra Born, Tesla M3, etc...

What are you talking about that £365 a month can’t be achieved??
It’s nearly there with only a £369 deposit, so a £4K deposit is going to smash £365 a month?
Performance aside, which I know from my restricted speed post doesn’t matter to loads of trundlers on here, the C4-e is a very valid 4 competitor.
And very nicely styled in and out.
As for thinking the Leaf isn’t a 4 competitor….oh by god it absolutely still is…having owned both I know.

This is what the Citroen c4e Finance Calculator gives me on the same basis (£4k down, 4 years, 10,000 miles). This is for the base model in white with no options. Nothing like the figures you are quoting.
7361BFE1-9A86-41D0-A20A-51F08A68C490.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video