MG4 vs approved Tesla M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the Citroen c4e Finance Calculator gives me on the same basis (£4k down, 4 years, 10,000 miles). This is for the base model in white with no options. Nothing like the figures you are quoting.
View attachment 16301

Sigh…I clearly said Arnold Clark…
This is maybe why you’re not good at seeking out the best deals.

Usually these "amazing" one-off dealer finance deals come with restrictions (e.g. on mileage) that don't make them practical. If you can find a one-off deal that suits you, great, but I get tired of how often people trumpet the amazing deals and I when I look into them and apply my actual loan term, deposit, mileage criteria, they evaporated.

I spent a LONG time too researching before I bought. At the time there was nothing that could be the MG4 for price. The evidence I am seeing today is that this is STILL true, although the gap has narrowed quite a bit and I accept that if you can afford it and want one, then the Megane, Cupra etc... make a good choice.

I have a great deal that no-one has shown can be bettered, thanks. And I did it with patient research, buying at the right time and a slice of good luck. Good luck with your purchase, bowfer, I wish you well.

So let's examine this amazing deal, fresh from the Arnold Clark website (attached). Oh dear, I am restricted to 23,500 miles over 4 years, or 5,875 miles a year. See what I mean about the small print!
18177F3E-A8FC-48C8-B3ED-92D27D80943D.jpeg

So let's examine this amazing deal, fresh from the Arnold Clark website (attached). Oh dear, I am restricted to 23,500 miles over 4 years, or 5,875 miles a year. See what I mean about the small print!View attachment 16302

Hurrah, you found it!
FWIW I got them to agree to 8000 miles PA for the same money.
Hopefully you’ll carry this new found skill onto your next car, get a better deal!
Bon chance!

Hurrah, you found it!
FWIW I got them to agree to 8000 miles PA for the same money.
Hopefully you’ll carry this new found skill onto your next car, get a better deal!
Bon chance!
Again, this isn't apples-to-apples, £25/m more with 2,000 miles less a year for a car that has much shorter range and isn't a competitor for my Trophy - you are forgetting the figure to compare with is £330/m for an MG SE.

I applaud your negotiating skills and wish you best of luck with your Citroen.

Bored of this now.

Again, this isn't apples-to-apples, £25/m more with 2,000 miles less a year for a car that has much shorter range and isn't a competitor for my Trophy - you are forgetting the figure to compare with is £330/m for an MG SE.

I applaud your negotiating skills and wish you best of luck with your Citroen.

Bored of this now.

I’ve not bought a Citroen.
DO try and keep up….

I’ve not bought a Citroen.
DO try and keep up….
I know that but why not? Perhaps because it isn't such a good deal after all methinks.

Lovely talking to you bowfer, here's your opening for the last word which you will insist on.

I'll make it easy for you: I am a clueless noob who is paying through the nose for a poop car that is useless and nobody wants. 🤣

This is why I'm still in this forum, quality debate, and again I'm not involved.

Playing devil's advocate you can't compare your excellent deal on your questionable quality, state owned foreign threat spying machine with current deals available from manufacturers from our pal governments, who wouldn't dream of spying on us, from Germany France and Spain 😉

In fairness you genuinely can't compare deals secured months ago against current deals, not the same figures involved at all.

That Citroen that Bowfer mentioned although comparable in battery to the SE SR is far better specced so again not like for like.

I think we can all agree that the trophy is not the deal it was, the price and Apr rise has put paid to that it now has better quality direct competitors within £20 of it.

As we discussed at the time, when you looked at options, you wouldn't get a better deal than the older figures you had.
However anyone looking now does have various options out there.

I joked about it but the Chinese government aspect may also put some people of now, after all the revelations from the US Congress tik tok enquiry during the week, it was quite the eye opener.

In fairness you genuinely can't compare deals secured months ago against current deals, not the same figures involved at all.

That Citroen that Bowfer mentioned although comparable in battery to the SE SR is far better specced so again not like for like.

I think we can all agree that the trophy is not the deal it was, the price and Apr rise has put paid to that it now has better quality direct competitors within £20 of it.

As we discussed at the time, when you looked at options, you wouldn't get a better deal than the older figures you had.
However anyone looking now does have various options out there.

I joked about it but the Chinese government aspect may also put some people of now, after all the revelations from the US Congress tik tok enquiry during the week, it was quite the eye opener.

Funnily enough our staff were told to remove tiktok from their company mobiles this week.

Found this on their website. For personal owners of a new M3, the PCP figures according to their website are:

Downpayment £4,000

Annual miles 20,000 miles

Term 48 Months

Monthly payment £716

So that would come to £38,368. And that’s just the standard M3.
Interesting. Tesla finance seems to be much cheaper in Europe. In Germany the figures for the very same Model 3 are:

EUR 4000 down
20,000 miles/a
48 months term
monthly payment EUR 493

Which sums up to EUR 27,664 only.

And we can sell our EVs on to Scandinavians who have to pay luxury tax on new ones. So prices for used EVs - escpecially Teslas - are high in Europe. The Scandinavians are lusting for them. Sadly, they won't buy RHD ones. ;-)

Last edited:
Interesting. Tesla finance seems to be much cheaper in Europe. In Germany the figures for the very same Model 3 are:

EUR 4000 down
20,000 miles/a
48 months term
monthly payment EUR 493

which sums up to EUR 27,664 only.

And we can sell our EVs on to Scandinavians who have to pay luxury tax on new ones. So prices for used EVs - escpecially Teslas - are high in Europe. The Scandinavians are lusting for them. Sadly, they won't buy RHD ones. ;-)
I expect you have a much higher MGFV. Nobody we can really sell to, apart from the Irish.

Funnily enough our staff were told to remove tiktok from their company mobiles this week.
It was interesting that every Chinese registered company, never mind state owned have to grant the government access to their servers with full access to all their users info, which in turn if you link your phone can grant pretty much unrestricted access to that.

It was interesting that every Chinese registered company, never mind state owned have to grant the government access to their servers with full access to all their users info, which in turn if you link your phone can grant pretty much unrestricted access to that.
Yes, I am definitely glad our government never spies on its citizens or monitors their data.... oh, oops! 😉

Not the potential of a conflict or an attack on our national infrastructure by our government, very real chance with the Chinese government

Not the potential of a conflict or an attack on our national infrastructure by our government, very real chance with the Chinese government
Funny you say that, the lack of an energy generation plan for the last 10 years is a sort of attack on our national infrastructure - ditto sewage outflows, general crumbling of public services.

The trouble is most cars are stuffed full of Chinese components and a ton of phones and other devices. Where do you draw the line?

I'm not defending our government, far from it. And I realise about Chinese components.

Big but, a very obvious line is that it is Chinese government law that all Chinese companies state owned or private have to give full access to their servers and data for all users data.

Huawei, one plus, MG, BYD, nio etc buying phones or cars means you need to sign up and link stuff.
Chinese components in electronics don't require you to do that, British European, Japanese, American owned companies using Chinese components don't need to and won't give the Chinese government access to their servers.

It's a pretty obvious line for me.

I have owned and continue to own Chinese products just for info, as I said a real eye opener watching the enquiry play out, food for thought.

The only quibble I have with this is that the only thing agreed months ago was the purchase price, the interest rate and payments I'm paying were actually agreed on 3rd March this year - now yes, some of that is them doing their best to honour the original deal - but someone with proper negotiating chops (clearly not me!) might be able to strike a better deal.

I'm not defending our government, far from it. And I realise about Chinese components.

Big but, a very obvious line is that it is Chinese government law that all Chinese companies state owned or private have to give full access to their servers and data for all users data.

Huawei, one plus, MG, BYD, nio etc buying phones or cars means you need to sign up and link stuff.
Chinese components in electronics don't require you to do that, British European, Japanese, American owned companies using Chinese components don't need to and won't give the Chinese government access to their servers.

It's a pretty obvious line for me
Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member