MG4 vs approved Tesla M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
How have you found the range in winter ? The pre 2021 ones have a normal heater rather than heat pump, can you expect similar range to a MG4 in winter ? E.g 120miles-130miles.
It's been totally fine.
Mine is only the Standard range plus model.
The key is preheating, which I can do before I finish my night shifts at work, while it's plugged in.
We had a run to Bridlington from home in Wakefield a few weeks ago.
72 miles each way.
Preheated before we left.
Had the heating on when needed other than that heated seats on all the way there and back.
As you can see the max speeds were 66-70 mph so didn't hang about too much as I wanted a genuine check of the range, driving as normal.
Still had a decent chunk of around 27% battery left when we got home too.
Averaged 4.25 miles per kW.
Was quite impressed.
And as I'm still paying 5p/kW until may, it cost us £1.72 to get there and back.
The info below is from TeslaFi website which can log every drive of the car for everything.

Screenshot_20230316_002058_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I think a lot of EV makers need to wake up and smell the coffee, why price something that prohibits mass adoption?

Looks like Mr Musk is once again hunting market share - M3 new now starts at £38790

By no means cheap and "affordable" but puts the MG price INCREASE to shame, especially when you see the actual prices in their home market (which is uber competitive).

Noted the M3 price drop again today.
Their PCP prices are way off though.
Same deposit/miles/years as my Cupra born, nearly £200 a month more. 🤷‍♂️

The drop is only on the inventory cars. Not yet officially cut on configuration. Might want to check the financing/leasing on the inventory ones.

The drop is only on the inventory cars. Not yet officially cut on configuration. Might want to check the financing/leasing on the inventory ones.

It was one of the inventory ones dropped to £38k that I requested PCP on.
I was quite prepared to cancel the cupra order if they were close.
Nope, miles out.
Cupra £440 per month, Tesla £624 😂
PCH was very close, but I don’t want the lack of flexibility of PCH and won’t choose that option again.

Quite interesting, considering their retail prices are not that far off.
What is the downpayment you had on this? Just a bit curious as I am super into the finance/lending industry.

Quite interesting, considering their retail prices are not that far off.
What is the downpayment you had on this? Just a bit curious as I am super into the finance/lending industry.

£2500 down
No option to select anything under 10000 miles on the Tesla, whereas it’s 8000 on the Cupra.
£2500 down and £624 a month is (ironically) ludicrous on a £38k car.
PCH was like £470 or something on same terms.

£2500 down
No option to select anything under 10000 miles on the Tesla, whereas it’s 8000 on the Cupra.
Thanks you for sharing! It indeed is ludicrous.

I have never taken a lease personally. However, I have leased hundreds of commercial vehicles in my previous company. The premise of a lease payment is the depreciation should be covered by the payment + the interest on the value of the car as well.
This basically signals that either Tesla expects a higher depreciation and has that baked into their financing or Cupra is ok with a smaller interest margin and expects value to hold better than Tesla.

In the end, you as the customer win. But if it was a loan or Cash purchase I guess your decision might have been different :)

Thanks you for sharing! It indeed is ludicrous.

I have never taken a lease personally. However, I have leased hundreds of commercial vehicles in my previous company. The premise of a lease payment is the depreciation should be covered by the payment + the interest on the value of the car as well.
This basically signals that either Tesla expects a higher depreciation and has that baked into their financing or Cupra is ok with a smaller interest margin and expects value to hold better than Tesla.

In the end, you as the customer win. But if it was a loan or Cash purchase I guess your decision might have been different :)

Yes if I was purchasing I dare say I’d have a hard decision to make.
Never going to happen, I’ll never ‘buy’ a car again, so a moot point.

I think a lot of EV makers need to wake up and smell the coffee, why price something that prohibits mass adoption?

Looks like Mr Musk is once again hunting market share - M3 new now starts at £38790

By no means cheap and "affordable" but puts the MG price INCREASE to shame, especially when you see the actual prices in their home market (which is uber competitive).
Tesla prices went up before they came down - they raise and lower them more often than others and it isn't all models and variants, only selective ones.

Teslas are also cheaper in China - all makes are - because it is the most competitive market in the world and card are produced locally (no shipping or import costs).

Noted the M3 price drop again today.
Their PCP prices are way off though.
Same deposit/miles/years as my Cupra born, nearly £200 a month more. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly. The MG PCP rates are really hard to ignore.

£2500 down
PCH was like £470 or something on same terms.
We are paying £365 a month for our Trophy with £4,000 down on 10,000 miles / 4 years. That's on the original pricing and 7.9% interest rate.

There was nothing that even came close when we looked around: Megane, Born, Niro etc...

We are paying £365 a month for our Trophy with £4,000 down on 10,000 miles / 4 years. That's on the original pricing and 7.9% interest rate.

There was nothing that even came close when we looked around: Megane, Born, Niro etc...
Just checked the Tesla website, out of curiosity a brand new model 3 for £38400 ish. On paper cheaper than my car before the dealer discount I got.
They are looking for £7050 deposit then £513.

When I looked at figures for my car I could have had a £2000 less deposit and £92 less a month in payments, for a car that on paper is more expensive.

The killer for the Tesla is the residual value after 4 years is only £14352 that's why the monthly prices are so high

Times change, I think £4000 down and £365 a month could get you into quite a few EVs now, with some haggling.

Times change, I think £4000 down and £365 a month could get you into quite a few EVs now, with some haggling.
Biggest issue by far are delivery times (here). Škoda, Seat/Cupra and even Volkswagen/Audi have very competitive rates. Unfortunately you will wait for ages for your car and the calculation on used ones is much worse.

Just checked the Tesla website, out of curiosity a brand new model 3 for £38400 ish. On paper cheaper than my car before the dealer discount I got.
They are looking for £7050 deposit then £513.

When I looked at figures for my car I could have had a £2000 less deposit and £92 less a month in payments, for a car that on paper is more expensive.

The killer for the Tesla is the residual value after 4 years is only £14352 that's why the monthly prices are so high
Yes, we know Tesla are dramatically increasing volume and plan significant price drops so anyone holding a second hand one could well be burnt by the low residuals in a few years time. One of the downsides of an excellent car.

I am also on the 7.9% deal, £4k down, £443 a month 4 years and 20,000 miles a year. I didn't see anything close at the time. Have not checked lately though

I had a trophy for 3 months. I had the new car smell, the styling but additionally a whole host of issues - which granted MG will sort out eventually I’m sure but I had a lot of them. That went back and I got a 72 plate Tesla M3 thanks to price drop of used stock - best car I’ve ever owned no comparison for me.

People are putting up with the issues more than they should in my opinion because it is a nice car. Looks sharp in and out, drives nice, minimalist clean looking spacious interior, something different and the big thing has also been its affordability.

The richest man in the world knows what he's doing. The main threat to him is the Chinese brands and if he can take a hit in the short term and tempt more people into his Tesla to keep it relevant until he brings out cheaper models, I think he will which is what we are seeing.

MG have done really well over the last few years. Really impressed me and even before the 4 was about I was considering the ZS but it comes down to their attitude. There is how much some people will accept and bad word spreads faster than good.

I hope their other cars are really good because that will help. I saw the new Marvel R...... whoa... a beauty. Once they lose their price advantage and they haven't sorted out their attitude to customer issues,.... death knell I'm afraid.

People are putting up with the issues more than they should in my opinion because it is a nice car. Looks sharp in and out, drives nice, minimalist clean looking spacious interior, something different and the big thing has also been its affordability.

The richest man in the world knows what he's doing. The main threat to him is the Chinese brands and if he can take a hit in the short term and tempt more people into his Tesla to keep it relevant until he brings out cheaper models, I think he will which is what we are seeing.

MG have done really well over the last few years. Really impressed me and even before the 4 was about I was considering the ZS but it comes down to their attitude. There is how much some people will accept and bad word spreads faster than good.

I hope their other cars are really good because that will help. I saw the new Marvel R...... whoa... a beauty. Once they lose their price advantage and they haven't sorted out their attitude to customer issues,.... death knell I'm afraid.
A lot of it seems to depend on the quality of the local dealer. Newer MG4s have fewer issues especially if the dealer diligently do their checks and apply all the updates.

I think we need better rating of dealers so people can seek out the good ones and the others die off.

There have definitely been some lemons, but a lot of people have good cars and just a few software niggles to put up with - and there are software niggles pretty much on every make, including Teslas that still don't have features like Car Play / Android Auto (yes I know it has "equivalents" but I want my phone apps, my choices).

The other downside with Tesla is you are essentially just a number and on the wrong side of their efficiency squeeze in everything they do - if they can save money and put the cost on you, they will.

As Tesla grow, they will encounter demand problems. People want modern looks, a wider range of models and styles and choices that will fight against Tesla's one-size-fits-all approach. Yes, they are well positioned to lower prices and keep them low but we are years behind their promises for a truly affordable car.

If I was MG, I wouldn't be that worried about Tesla since they've yet to prove they want to / can compete in the low cost segment and when they do it may be just one model while the MG platform will have many variants by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 492 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums