MG4 vs ZS

Is that on a 4? How do you control HVAC direction and A/C on/off, heated rear window and screen demist? Do you have to configure the buttons? What about radio selections? HVAC, demisting, Dab and nav are the controls I use all the time, though sometimes I use Android auto. Obvs didn't have time or instructions to configure when I tried the 4. Apart from that I think the interior is ugly low rent and the boot is nowhere near big enough. Like the exterior styling though. May be a Kia Niro EV next for me.
Yes, that’s on an MG4. The direction is controlled on the infotainment screen, which I set before I drive off. The heated rear window and screen demist are physical buttons on the control panel. I don’t use the radio, so I’m not sure about that. Personally, I like the interior as it is more spacious and has more storage space than my previous car (Suzuki Vitara), plus when doing my weekly shopping the boot space seems comparable. The Kia Nero ev might suit you better coming from a MG ZS EV, as it‘s a small SUV.

Here’s a video explaining the shortcuts for HVAC:

Last edited:
Thanks for info but I don't like warm air to face, only to feet. BTW does it have adaptive cruise? How is that controlled? Does it have heated seats?
Yes and yes (Trophy only). ACC has a steering wheel button and controls to adjust. Heated seats controllable from AC screen or app.

Trophy also has heated steering wheel.

I guess many of us MG4 owners just leave the AC set to a temperature and the fan control set to Auto, so don't bother about fan direction.
Yes, I leave AC on and fan speed set to 2 and the vents/direction as I like it and temp set and have never needed to change it yet.

You may call it dated I call it easily and safely functional and certainly not as dangerous to use as the vehicles where HVAC and other controls are by touchscreen. It is impossible to operate without significant fivertoon of concentration. I have yet to see a car review that does not criticise this dangerous "fashion" which of course is cheaper for the manufacturers to install with only negative consequences for the user.

It’s not a case of me calling it dated.
It’s not subjective, it’s objectively dated.
You preferring that is fine, but it doesn’t change that.

Perhaps a better word might be 'classic' as in 'modern classic interior'?

With the best will in the world, no one will ever consider anything about the ZS as ‘classic’
Again, I don’t see this as my opinion, I can’t see any future cover of a magazine called ‘classic EV’ featuring the ZS.

With the best will in the world, no one will ever consider anything about the ZS as ‘classic’
Again, I don’t see this as my opinion, I can’t see any future cover of a magazine called ‘classic EV’ featuring the ZS.
There again some people call the Morris Marina a classic but then they would be wrong :ROFLMAO:

You deliberately misconstrue the use of classic. It is the interior styling, particularly the dashboard and controls that are classic not the car itself.

My 4 is back at the dealer for some software updates and they've given me a mk2 ZS EV as a courtesy car. Interesting being back in a ZS especially as it's a mk2 rather then the mk1 we had before. There's a few things a prefer on the ZS:
  • Instrument cluster is nicer on the ZS. The screen is better and the graphics a little more polished.
  • Love having a few more physical buttons for things like climate control.
  • Really like the sunroof, which is one of the things I missed most from our ZS
  • Extra space is good, also missed that.
  • MG Pilot that actually works! Hope that MG can fix that on the 4

But some things are better on the 4
  • The driving experience is much better on the 4. The ride and handling are far more polished.
  • Turning circle on the 4 is better, car seems much easier to manoeuvre.
  • Less motor whine, I'd forgotten how loud the ZS is compared to the 4W
  • Seats on the 4 are a little more comfortable.
  • Sound system is better on the 4

The mk2 ZS is much improved over the mk1 however no regrets in going to the 4, just hope the software bugs can be worked out.
With you on all the pluses of the ZS over the 4 but much of the 4 pluses are far outweighed by the cheap feeling interior and lack of boot space. For a more car like drive than the ZS the MG 5 is a much better bet than the 4. Wont be getting a 4 as my next car.

With you on all the pluses of the ZS over the 4 but much of the 4 pluses are far outweighed by the cheap feeling interior and lack of boot space. For a more car like drive than the ZS the MG 5 is a much better bet than the 4. Wont be getting a 4 as my next car.
This is all really a matter of opinion and need. You find the MG4 cheap and spartan, others find it modern and sleek. For many people the MG4's boot is plenty big enough, for you it is too small.

The MG5 has a bit more space in the boot but it is a compromised estate without a flat floor and the driving experience is very different from the 4, front wheel drive and soft vs rear wheel drive and more control. Again, some people will prefer the 5, some the 4.

As I've said elsewhere ... the MG4 is not an SUV, nor is it an "estate" (some people quibble as to whether the MG5 is really an estate), so comparisons accordingly regarding load space are pointless. A better comparison is against an Astra, Focus or Golf (or ID3 or Born). On such comparisons the MG4 bears fairly well - load space is in the same ballpark.

This is all really a matter of opinion and need. You find the MG4 cheap and spartan, others find it modern and sleek. For many people the MG4's boot is plenty big enough, for you it is too small.

The MG5 has a bit more space in the boot but it is a compromised estate without a flat floor and the driving experience is very different from the 4, front wheel drive and soft vs rear wheel drive and more control. Again, some people will prefer the 5, some the 4.
The date a on the MG4 states boot capacity of 289 litres! That's tiny, it's Corsa/Fiesta size, nowhere near big enough for family use. Golf class size is around 380 litres. I put a fold down mobility scooter on the ZS boot ((450 litres) no wsu would that fit in the 4. Horses for courses I suppose. Most BMWs and Mercs are rear while drive!

The date a on the MG4 states boot capacity of 289 litres! That's tiny, it's Corsa/Fiesta size, nowhere near big enough for family use. Golf class size is around 380 litres. I put a fold down mobility scooter on the ZS boot ((450 litres) no wsu would that fit in the 4. Horses for courses I suppose. Most BMWs and Mercs are rear while drive!
Incorrect. The MG4 has a 363 litre boot and my mother-in-law's mobility scooter fits just fine.

Last edited:
Incorrect. The MG4 has a 363 litre boot and my mother-in-law's mobility scooter fits just fine.
Well that's better if correct, I did wonder if the data was correct as it seems very small for the car size. On Motability website and in What Car it does say 289 litres. They need to be corrected as its a significant difference and off putting.

As someone who’s driven both for extended periods, the 5 is too frustrating for me.
It’s a wheelspin monster, utter PITA.
Tyres might go some way to improving matters, but I think the basic problem is soft suspension and weight shift.
I don’t enjoy having to mollycoddle cars into accelerating smartly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back