MG4 wheel swap efficiency hit tested

Brettus

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Sorry if this was posted anywhere else, I couldn’t see it anywhere obvious but I’m hardly infallible.

IMG_6374.jpeg

Headline results right there.
Full video

I’m kinda surprised it’s that much but then if it weren’t companies wouldn’t bother with aero wheels/trims in the first place.

Huh. Maybe they should think about the effects of the undertray warp, then.

ETA: Ah, I see it's not just about the aero trims, it's a full wheel swap for larger rims and wider tyres.

Yeah I watched that a while ago and was quite surprised at the difference too - around 18.4% more battery consumption with his heavier & wider 19" wheels & tyres vs standard aero trimmed 17"'s.

Yeah I watched that a while ago and was quite surprised at the difference too - around 18.4% more battery consumption with his heavier & wider 19" wheels & tyres vs standard aero trimmed 17"'s.
What's that black thing sticking out in front of the Orange cars wheel ?

As I saw this in one of his videos - The black thing in front of the orange car is a plastic add-on he installed just for the look. I think he ordered this at aliexpress.

If that is real then it simply looks like a small air-brake, so it is bound to have an impact on drag and thus efficiency.

As I saw this in one of his videos - The black thing in front of the orange car is a plastic add-on he installed just for the look. I think he ordered this at aliexpress.
Just realised that I think you're talking about the fins on the front air scoops. We're talking about this:

1706029166920.png

Just realised that I think you're talking about the fins on the front air scoops. We're talking about this:
Still hard to see, I outlined it to make it obvious:

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 7.23.47 am.png

If real, that would cause a substantial increase in aerodynamic drag. But it looks like something pasted onto the image.

I wonder how you swap out the wheels and get accurate readings when full rotation is now PI*19 inches of travel instead of PI*17 inches of travel. Unless there is a setting in some hidden engineering screen then all the speed, distance traveled and efficiencies are going to be completely out of whack. Think you're doing 70mph? If you have 19 inch wheels you're actually doing 78mph. And on top of that, larger tyres probably mean greater rolling resistance which impacts efficiency too.

I wonder how you swap out the wheels and get accurate readings when full rotation is now PI*19 inches of travel instead of PI*17 inches of travel. Unless there is a setting in some hidden engineering screen then all the speed, distance traveled and efficiencies are going to be completely out of whack. Think you're doing 70mph? If you have 19 inch wheels you're actually doing 78mph. And on top of that, larger tyres probably mean greater rolling resistance which impacts efficiency too.

19 to 17 inches does not necessarily mean the entire diameter increases by 2 inches.

Often on a larger wheel there is a lower profile tyre that keeps the overall diameter relatively the same.

You need to know the tyre profiles

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel