MG4 would seem to have made it through a flooded ford

From my competitive 4x4 days, another thing people forget is to extend the gearbox and diff breathers up above the expected water level. Go into cold water with a warm gearbox/diff and it cools, suckling in water through the breather. One reason the maximum wading depth is normally below the axle level.

I think we can all agree that its bit stupid to attempt this ford , although some got away with it, what would the insurance position be on those who did,nt or indeed those who got through and had later related problems , especially those on film. Were the towing vehicles and drivers there out of kindness/ fun/ or for monetary gain?

I try to avoid all fords. It's the sort of thing where it is so easy to cause damage under the car or water where it shouldn't go that it is not worth any "kudos" for driving through it. Looked like the MG4 driver didn't own that car, which is different.
Ikr you should see them heading for Rufford Ford 🤷‍♀️ why would I chance that no way

There’s a yt video uploaded today one has to be land rover disco’d out

Ikr you should see them heading for Rufford Ford 🤷‍♀️ why would I chance that no way
Have you seen the latest, a tractor n trailer went through (presumably didn't realise that the concrete barriers were in place under the water), anyway someone in a nice (once) looking BMW has just ruined his car - what a tool.

I think we can all agree that its bit stupid to attempt this ford , although some got away with it, what would the insurance position be on those who did,nt or indeed those who got through and had later related problems , especially those on film. Were the towing vehicles and drivers there out of kindness/ fun/ or for monetary gain?

The guys in the towing vehicles are in the comments on the video. Apparently there were a lot of warning signs and indeed a half barrier that had do be driven round (on one side at least). One driver said the road doesn't go anywhere much, just access for farms, and there were two detours signposted, one for cars only and one suitable for HGVs. The locals with Land Rovers who know how to get through get a bit ratty if the road is closed completely.

He said that everyone who stopped and asked advice about going through was told not to risk it, and they all turned back. The drivers who went through didn't stop to ask, just barrelled in. I think that video might be everyone who actually tried it, in two days. The Merc driver was on the phone and apparently didn't even see the warnings or the floods until he was in it. He was still on the call when the rescuers spoke to him.

He also said that no payment was asked, and although it was often offered, it would be refused unless equipment had been broken in the rescue. They were doing it out of kindness - warning people not to go in if they stopped, and pulling people out if they got stuck. The Range Rover driver was very pround of his car, and that it pulled the bin lorry out, uphill. He also said he got stuck in the ford once himself, with young children in his car, and that's why he tries to help other people. He was remarkably kind about some of the drivers, for example saying that the bin lorry driver was agency staff who was used to a vehicle with its air intake at the rear.

I was thinking about the MG4 and the way it floated. I wondered if it was an illusion of the camera angle, but it wasn't. 1.8 tonnes of car was lifted off its wheels and was bloody lucky that momentum took it forward to where it got traction again. (The ICE cars, although lighter, weren't floating.)

I think what has happened is that the ICE cars tend to fill up from underneath virtually as soon as they go in, so there is no buoyancy and they carry on driving on the roadway. The EV is much more protected from water ingress from underneath, at least for the 30 seconds that car was in the water, and if the the door seals hold as well then it starts to behave like a boat, with buoyancy, and it floats. despite its weight. However, it doesn't have a rudder.

I noticed someone in the comments ask if the car was an EV because he saw it float and said, ICE cars don't do that, but I've seen Teslas do it.

The floating was potentially very dangerous, and the car could easily have been swept away. I believe MG, when asked, said the car was OK to go through water up to about a foot or 18 inches (don't quote me on that), and people were saying, why so little. But if it's going to float and potentially be swept away it doesn't matter how well protected from water ingress it is!

Don't try this at home, seems to be the message. That guy got very lucky (assuming his oil breather and undertray didn't run into problems), and we can learn from his mistake.

There was also an open-backed truck went through (in one video I saw - same one as the MG4 I think) that did the same float action as the MG4.

EVs are inherently better at wading and some makers test for it - eg Nissan Leafs have long been known for 700mm wading depth (the same as many 4x4s).

Here's a short test video, also showing how to create the right bow wave by driving consistently at a steady speed.

I'm not saying I'd do this - it can still be bad for the long-term health of the car - but it shows what can be done.

Really good video. I would not like to try it either, I have to say. That looks as deep as the ford, but the ford was reading a full 3 feet, so closer to a metre of water! It was about at its highest when the MG4 went through. You could see it was a lot lower at the end of the compilation when everyone was getting through - they were driving better, too, I suspect these were people who wouldn't have gone in at the higher level.

From memory in a previous thread, MG were talking more like 400 mm depth.

There was also an open-backed truck went through (in one video I saw - same one as the MG4 I think) that did the same float action as the MG4.

I think I know the one you mean. ICE cars will float a bit I think, but the cases I've seen have been sudden, deeper water, with the cars being swept away and then becoming progressively waterlogged.

I had assumed that the MG4's weight would keep its wheels on the ground but that is clearly not the case and this is a lesson for us all.

Last edited:
Your insurance won't pay out for any damage as a result of driving through flood water. It's a deliberate act on your behalf. I believe in the comments of the first video there's confirmation that the lorry driver was sacked as a result of their actions.
As a follow up question on insurance and flood damage, If you are parked up overnight in an area prone to flooding and there is a well predicted storm event and your car gets caught up in the rising water, would the insurance company baulk at paying out as you could/should have pre-empted the flood and moved it, or is that consider an act of God and they pay out.? The number of cars seen submerged on the following days news reports from such events suggests a lot of people are blasé about doing something positive to help the unfolding situation and rely on their insurance which ultimately puts up all our premiums.

Interesting question, I don't know the answer. However my parents home was very close to the River Thames. When they knew of an impending flood, they would move their cars to higher ground. They've since moved out of the area as the highest recorded flood level (from 1947) was passed around 2010 and despite the house being built above the 1947 flood level, the water came very close to getting into the house. So they made the sensible choice and moved.

It’s about volume not weight.
Most cars have lots of empty space and water can enter through the underbody

Pure electric platforms (the MG being one, unlike say Stellantis) have a flat battery pack at the bottom: the weight of the displaced water is then greater than the weight of the car itself.

Our cars are basically rafts. 😅
And are sealed from the elements.
Obviously this isn’t an invitation to go through a Ford on purpose, but will hopefully reassure anyone who thinks they will give you an electric shock when it rains…

I spent a while yesterday trying to figure this out. I must have missed this post, explaining it perfectly!

What's the wading depth of an MG4, anyone know? I doubt it's 700mm, and the gearbox breather is already problematical. Unless it's raised to a suitable height, the gearbox of the MG4 in the first video will now be full of water.
Here's the reply from MG when I asked customer services the same thing:

I apologise for late reply as I have been looking through our specifications.

Its not something that we have published, or been provided with, however, under normal circumstances on any motor vehicle , it is roughly just below half way of the wheel.

This pretty much coincides with the lower sill below your doors.

Here's the reply from MG when I asked customer services the same thing:

I apologise for late reply as I have been looking through our specifications.

Its not something that we have published, or been provided with, however, under normal circumstances on any motor vehicle , it is roughly just below half way of the wheel.

This pretty much coincides with the lower sill below your doors.
Half way up the wheel is normal. That's what they say for Land Rover Defenders.

Just stick big wheels and tyres on your MG4! (JOKING)

I measured the height indicated, and it's about 290 mm. So not as high as I thought I remembered from another thread. Nearly a foot.

It sounds as if MG haven't really thought about it and tested to see how deep the car might safely go in practice, but all the warnings about just staying out of water seem prudent. It would be interesting to know whether that MG4 in the video suffered any ill-effects, but I don't suppose we'll ever know.

Interesting thought about insurance. If an insurance company might deny coverage if the driver had been grossly negligent with his own car, where would a car owner whose car was being driven by an employee stand? It's not the fault of the owners of that MG4, or the bin lorry, or the bus, that their employee negligently damaged their vehicle.

This is relevant. An EV driver whose car was partially submerged in water for some time in the floods in 2019. A Renault Zoe. The car survived and could be driven, but he had to do a great deal of work to dry the interior out.

A different issue from 30 seconds going through a ford, but it demonstrates what you might be letting yourself in for even if the car doesn't throw any error messages and is completely driveable.

Curious person here. The MG4 that went through the ford is LM73 MAC. It was first registered on 13th September, so the car was only about five weeks old when this happened. Is there any way to find out whether it suffered severe enough damage to be off the road? Do we have to wait till its first MOT is due in September 2026 to find out if it made it?

The company that owns the car is called LMAC. This looks like a personalised numberplate, even though it is a 73 plate so presumably issued new to that car. I wonder how a company can get to pick new numbers on offer so that they have the letters of the company name.

The CEO of the company is called Lee McDowell. LMAC? I wonder if that was him driving.

I am hideously tempted just to email [email protected] and ask after the health of the poor soaking car!

I have an update. I emailed Mr Lance McDowell (the driver - his mugshot is on the company web site) and politely asked after the health of the car. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I didn't get an answer from him.

However, I did get the answer from the YouTuber who made the video. He says that the MG4 has "been through again" - presumably not at that speed or depth - and he can report that the car is absolutely fine.

The owner has removed the wrap with his company name and phone number though. Too late!

Last edited:
I have an update. I emailed Mr Lance McDowell (the driver - his mugshot is on the company web site) and politely asked after the health of the car. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I didn't get an answer from him.

However, I did get the answer from the YouTuber who made the video. He says that the MG4 has "been through again" - presumably not at that speed or depth - and he can report that the car is absolutely fine.

The owner has removed the wrap with his company name and phone number though. Too late!
Perhaps he's trying to sell it and doesn't want prospective buyers finding out how he's mistreated the car 😁

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back