Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
MG4 Tire Change Roll Call (see this post)

Well sadly it seems that the Aussie/NZ fix is making zero difference to the vibrations.

Can anyone who has changed tyres on their X Power please tell us if it has made any difference and what you had fitted.

I'm sure there is someone on here that has done it, but I can't find it.

Really making me think about swapping out my tyres now.
On the whole, I am happy with the Bridgestones, but if they are the issue, I will get shot of them.

I've started this post as there are now at least 3 different discussions going on, and it would be handy if the tyre changes aren't mixed in with the other threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
You were considering a rebalance at first, maybe worthwhile speaking to a good independent tyre company locally to get their take on it. I have a good company locally and was thinking of seeing them next week.

You're right, I was m8.
But I have read quite a few post regarding balancing (non X Power granted) and in some cases it did reduce vibes, but did not dispel them completely, hence a complete tyre change.

Last edited by a moderator:
You used to be able to get the wheels balanced while they were on the car so the drive shafts were in effect balanced too. Not sure if this is possible when you can't put the wheels into freewheel.

You used to be able to get the wheels balanced while they were on the car so the drive shafts were in effect balanced too. Not sure if this is possible when you can't put the wheels into freewheel.

Not sure Ian?
What about the non towing clause "blah blah"?
Would that work on an EV?
I am sure you can sit with it in neutral, and take off the handbrake, but doesn't it pop on the handbrake as soon as you open a door or get out?
I must answer my own questions and try that later! 🤣

I'm tempted to change next Spring and if so would go for these Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Acoustics which Teslas use:

I've always used Costco for tyre balancing as they were the only place I could get some very difficult wheels to balance previously on a car. It took them quite a while to do - but they had a full dynamic balancing machine. That was quite a while ago though and I'm sure there will be other places that do a thorough balance.

..........I am sure you can sit with it in neutral, and take off the handbrake, but doesn't it pop on the handbrake as soon as you open a door or get out?
I must answer my own questions and try that later! 🤣

I think I've seen a Youtube video where you climb over and get out of the passenger door to avoid the parking brake coming on (after leaving in neutral). Never tried it myself though yet !

I think I've seen a Youtube video where you climb over and get out of the passenger door to avoid the parking brake coming on (after leaving in neutral). Never tried it myself though yet !

Easier in the MG4 than most I would have thought, what with the "floating console" blah blah!!!!

Oh and yes me too, Michelin Pilots all the way 👍

Save a few quid at kwikfit m8

I've used the Carmarthen branch before, and they were spot on, (used a torque wrench and everything 🤣🤣🤣)

but................. I would definitely "Google Review" whoever you use, as some of these tyre places are shocking 😲

Screenshot_20231207_091131_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
One of my friends has an MG4 extended range and went in to Kwik fit to get a price for 4 Michelin all season contact 2's, they quoted her nearly £900. She phoned me whilst still at Kwik fit, I used the code online and price was just over £600 which they grudgingly accepted....... Be careful out there.

One of my friends has an MG4 extended range and went in to Kwik fit to get a price for 4 Michelin all season contact 2's, they quoted her nearly £900. She phoned me whilst still at Kwik fit, I used the code online and price was just over £600 which they grudgingly accepted....... Be careful out there.
Probably part of a bonus system if they can sell for the "full" price.

Michellin Cross Climate 2 fitted all round to mine after doing approximately 800 miles on the original Continentals and I honestly have not looked back since!!!
The standard continentals that are clearly marked ' Made in China ' are certainly not the same as the European continentals i.e ' Made in France ' The difference is just chalk and cheese and I cannot recommend them enough to anyone out there who owns an MG4 ( especially an Power )
The grip on the continentals wasn't that bad however when you put together 4 wheel drive with a brilliant set of all season tyres - Wow... This car sticks to the road like glue no matter what the weather throws at it!!! :)
Loving the car at the moment ( apart from the few software niggles like the screen occasionally going off ) oh and that NCAP safety feature LKA!!!!!
But all is forgiven as soon as you press that accelerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michellin Cross Climate 2 fitted all round to mine after doing approximately 800 miles on the original Continentals and I honestly have not looked back since!!!
The standard continentals that are clearly marked ' Made in China ' are certainly not the same as the European continentals i.e ' Made in France ' The difference is just chalk and cheese and I cannot recommend them enough to anyone out there who owns an MG4 ( especially an Power )
The grip on the continentals wasn't that bad however when you put together 4 wheel drive with a brilliant set of all season tyres - Wow... This car sticks to the road like glue no matter what the weather throws at it!!! :)
Loving the car at the moment ( apart from the few software niggles like the screen occasionally going off ) oh and that NCAP safety feature LKA!!!!!
But all is forgiven as soon as you press that accelerator!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But.........has it got rid of the vibration?

That is why I started the thread.

Tyres are always subjective, as are the brands that people are affiliated with.

I mean I lost the back of my car yesterday, but I was "asking for it".
Too fast, too twisty, too wet.
But the esp stepped in, took away the power and straightened me up.

Could I have caught it?

We will never know........but I doubt it.

Lots of weight in play.

The standard tyres the car comes with are fine if you are driving normally, and good upto a point when playing.

But start pushing on and they will let go earlier than I would expect.

The question remains m8, has your vibration after 60 mph been eliminated?

Last edited:
Thought I would give my initial thoughts on the tyres following a longer drive today. I think they are not a quiet tyre and transmit a lot of road noise and even slight vibration, from low speed, into the cabin compared to the EV6. I remember thinking this at the time of my test drive but wasnt sure.
Due to their nature ev tyres as far as Im aware, are harder compound, for economy. They have covered only 125 miles so will see if they improve with time. I will consider the all season route if things dont improve. They also may require refitting and rebalancing as mentioned previously, so going to call into tyre fitters tomorrow to discuss. I have seen mentioned about yellow and red spots on tyres that indicate heaviest point yellow at valve and high spot red. Can only find the red one no yellows, so who knows!
The question remains m8, has your vibration after 60 mph been eliminated?
I too would be interested in the answer however my steering vibration is only slight, having checked again today and because I was looking for it.

I've done 3200 miles up to now and am relatively happy with the tyres.
They are a compromise for sure, but IMO, they seem to have got it right.
(Caveat, sane legal road use)

You, (as I am sure you know) have only just scrubbed in your tyres at that mileage so could, (if you wanted) start leaning on them a bit more.

Hopefully @SimonMGEV will get back to us soon with an answer to whether the vibes are completely eliminated.

I, as I am sure also many of you guys, dont really want to be forking out 100s of pounds to replace the tyres, if ultimately this ends up being a manufacturing issue from Bridgestone.

If that turns out to be the case then MG would have to replace the tyres at their cost and not ours.

Edit: I ended up forking out hundreds of pounds.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom