MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Any XPower drivers here with left-hand-drive models experiencing this vibration? Seems common in UK and Oz (both RHD) - I get my new XPower in Germany at the end of the month, so am curious if it's common to both both variants.
Also in a LHD for 1 month / 1k km and while I do sense something, it's not as flagrant as others experience.

I'm in a French Xpower group on FB and there seems to be (unscientifically) a similar number of owners there who complain of serious vibration issues, and many are vocally advocating legal action vs MG.

Latest from me in Leeds, UK:
Luscombes continue being brilliant in trying to resolve the vibration issue (which is great news for all of us). They are being guided by MG at each step. So far

• Steering damper didn't help.
  • Rebalancing didn't help.

They have now been asked by MG to try replacing all 4 wheels (not tyres) with those from a Trophy, to see if it's an issue with the XPower wheels.

Booked in for Monday. Watch this space.

Luscombes continue being brilliant in trying to resolve the vibration issue (which is great news for all of us). They are being guided by MG at each step. So far

They have now been asked by MG to try replacing all 4 wheels (not tyres) with those from a Trophy, to see if it's an issue with the XPower wheels.

Watching it like a hawk pal 👍🤣

At least they are trying to solve the problem. Good on um. 🙂👍

I have been driving the A Roads around Dartmouth this weekend, I loved it, Gertmint seemed to ride on rails, very smooth, and I could put the pedal down.
Out onto the Devon Expressway to Plymouth 68-73mph, road noise, a drumming hum which comes and goes, vibration through the steering wheel even after balancing.

I'm getting no response from my dealer, Howard's MG Taunton, the Service Manager won't even reply that they are working on it with MG🤷‍♂️, he told me in November that a new undertray had been ordered(not sure where that is), and the steering damper(that I know doesnt fix it)....like the guy, on FB, whose 1yr tax is up and hasn't had contact with his dealer even though he has brought up issues for the last year.

Communication is key even if there is no fix at the moment🤷‍♂️

I have been driving the A Roads around Dartmouth this weekend, I loved it, Gertmint seemed to ride on rails, very smooth, and I could put the pedal down.
Out onto the Devon Expressway to Plymouth 68-73mph, road noise, a drumming hum which comes and goes, vibration through the steering wheel even after balancing.

I'm getting no response from my dealer, Howard's MG Taunton, the Service Manager won't even reply that they are working on it with MG🤷‍♂️, he told me in November that a new undertray had been ordered(not sure where that is), and the steering damper(that I know doesnt fix it)....like the guy, on FB, whose 1yr tax is up and hasn't had contact with his dealer even though he has brought up issues for the last year.

I also think the X Power handles superbly m8!

I don't know what some of the youtube twonks are waffling on about!

My dealer is aware of the issue and he also knows that I am watching @Freeagain21 who actually seems to have a dealer taking a serious interest in her and her car.

There is some waffle about that the undertray being a source of the vibes!
Airflow and turbulence blah, blah.
I say Red herring and CHIN ON etc......👍

Last edited:
For the avoidance of doubt ... last time I checked, "her and her car". 😆

I've changed my profile pic to make it a bit more obvious than a diver (me) with sharks.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the undertray, just my dealer said they would fix it, 4 months later, I'm still waiting. I just feel that my dealership has sold me the car and I've had no contact since Nov 23.

Yeah, Gertmint was lovely today until I got out onto the Expressway, no car is perfect but it does need to drive smoothly at the UK speed limit. I'm gonna start needing Peltor ear defenders for the drumming otherwise🤣

My main gripe is the vibration/hum and my dealer is not communicating

I've always said, the vibration isn't a deal breaker for us. I love the car. I love the price.

I love being the sleeper car in white that can burn the RS Turbo if I choose to (young lad, revving his engine next to me at traffic lights last week. I got too much enjoyment, calmly turning left as he sped off, expecting me to race him 🤣🤣. ********!).

I also love the fact that Luscombes have been so supportive.

This is a great car with so much potential!

It is a deal breaker for me as I drive the M5 and Devon Expressway every week, I have had my right hand to go go numb and I know in my job, low level vibration is not good for the body.

As I have said before, I find the ride in mine very harsh(motorway/dual carriageway) very high tyre noise, drumming, then it all goes...then it all comes back again

Bends at high speed, make my car vibrate and drum more.

It doesn't feel that my steering wheel is straight, it's been like that since I got my car and it feels that I'm always correcting the steering.

Maybe I need a proper alignment.

For the avoidance of doubt ... last time I checked, "her and her car". 😆

I've changed my profile pic to make it a bit more obvious than a diver (me) with sharks.
I've amended my post.🤪

No disrespect meant or intended.

I "could" probably have made your old avatar bigger and had a look see.
But didn't.
Apologies.
Now I know you are a lady, are you sure you can handle all that power?

🤣🤣🤣👍

Now I am teasing!

Of course you can, and equally as well, if not better than any man!

All the stories about poor dealer interest makes your posts something to keep an eye on.

I specifically told my service manager that I wasn't going to waste my time, or his, letting them have my car for a day to

A, Tell me what I already know.
B, Also tell me that there is no concrete fix as of now.

I have always said that the vibes, in my case have always been very minimal and even more so now with my tyre change.

Folk seem to have had a improvement with just a balance alone, but I didn't do this as I had read that elsewhere in the world it didn't work.

Don't tell MG, but I am very happy with my car the way it is.

Last edited:
The Wheel rebalance didn't work for me. I'm happy for the dealer to use my car for testing (as long as I get a courtesy car for the day) - we both know it has an issue that needs resolving and co-operation is needed. It's not their fault MG has sold them a problem.

I've just been out on the M62 for a playful pootle (60-94) and my husband commented he could feel the vibration through the seat at 74.

Fortunately I don't do much motorway driving, otherwise I'd be going "full Karen". 😂

I've amended my post.🤪

No disrespect meant or intended.

I "could" probably have made your old avatar bigger and had a look see.
But didn't.
Apologies.
Now I know you are a lady, are you sure you can handle all that power?

🤣🤣🤣👍

Now I am teasing!

Of course you can, and equally as well, if not better than any man!

All the stories about poor dealer interest makes your posts something to keep an eye on.

I specifically told my service manager that I wasn't going to waste my time, or his, letting them have my car for a day to

A, Tell me what I already know.
B, Also tell me that there is no concrete fix as of now.

I have always said that the vibes, in my case have always been very minimal and even more so now with my tyre change.

Folk seem to have had a improvement with just a balance alone, but I didn't do this as I had read that elsewhere in the world it didn't work.

Don't tell MG, but I am very happy with my car the way it is.
Ha! I see under your name it says "Prominent member". Sounds like a brag.

Ha! I see under your name it says "Prominent member". Sounds like a brag.

Why yes.

The moderators know me so well 👍🤣

In all seriousness, not an honour you can pick yourself, but is in fact bestowed upon one, once the appropriate amount of points have been reached.👍

That's my understanding anyway.
If I am wrong someone will be along shortly to put me right.

Tis the way of the MGEV forum.🤣

....Have a cup of T ready.🤣
make that two 😁

It does seem some people have the vibration worse than others. Mine seems to have improved a fair bit since new (now over 2500 miles) and I only get a mild vibration through the steering wheel which seems to come and go depending on road surface etc. even at a constant 70mph. None of my passengers have noticed it and I don't get a hum or anything like that - it just feels like unbalanced front wheels. Like Bricktop I'm waiting for a definitive fix before spending hours travelling to a dealer for a "diagnosis" with no cure found. Until then I will just live with it as I do love the car overall.

Last edited:
Interesting reading these posts some don't seem to have it or very slight if they do. Some are quite bad and one was so bad, I would expect to finish up with Vibration White Finger after owning the car. I presume they are all built at the same place? So it seems like Pot Luck, what you get. 🙂

Interesting reading these posts some don't seem to have it or very slight if they do. Some are quite bad and one was so bad, I would expect to finish up with Vibration White Finger after owning the car. I presume they are all built at the same place? So it seems like Pot Luck, what you get. 🙂

Which does suggest to me something is "unbalanced" somewhere and as you say it's pot luck as to how unbalanced it is.

Agreed Chaps.

If you do have a float back through the thread, as I would recommend to any Newb just joining, there is quite a variation on the same theme.

Bizarrely for me, I seem to get different results on different days.

On exactly the same piece of road, on different day's, the vibes are really apparent, then the next day, I've really got to think about it to feel them.

Probably says more about me than the car,
you know,
what's going on in my mind etc.

(You really dont want to know)

The only variable would be ambient temperature, but that would be a red herring imo.

I've said elsewhere in the thread....
One man's (or woman's) mole hill is
another man's (or woman's) mountain.

I'm pretty sure we all have the same thing, we just interpret it differently.

As a passenger my wife is oblivious until I get her to hold the wheel.

In previous vehicles I have owned you could get the exact same feeling when changing from a smooth road surface, to something slightly rougher.

That's the best way I can describe it to anyone, and once again at the risk of becoming a stuck record....

Despite it being really almost imperceptible to me the majority of the time, it is something that really should not be there MG, so pull your finger out and get it sorted.

(I know you are, and Thankyou for your efforts)
Anyone from MG want to own up to reading these posts?

No?
I didn't think so.🤣

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom