MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Well well well, i popped a hose clamp on one of the front drive shafts :) have seen people balance tail shafts using them. just random position in the middle , so now sitting on 65, it now resonates out and back in :) meaning u get around 30 seconds of no hum, and then it comes back and then goes again, before it just stayed solid hum.I have the clamps just tight enough tHat on full lock i can just pop my arm in adjust it. Over coming weeks ill just adjust bit by bit. Sitting on that speed with no hum for 30 seconds is bliss, smooth as. And no hum at lower speeds. Lets see how its goes

Very interesting!
Thankyou for your service.
Is this what you're using m8?

Honestly, not being thick!

I do know what a hose clamp is, I'm just checking nothing's being lost in translation despite us all speaking English!🤣

Screenshot_20240224_072231_Google.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting!

I do know what a hose clamp is, I'm just checking nothing's being lost in translation despite us all speaking English!🤣

View attachment 24248

Very interesting!

View attachment 24248
Yep thats the ones, its a crude way of doing it, and slow.

Yep thats the ones, its a crude way of doing it, and slow.
Aye but quicker than what MG seem to be doing.
Might have a little play at that myself.

Drop down the front undertray.
Wrap a piece of masking tape around the center of the shaft (to start with) and attach a Jubilee Clip (That's what I've always known them as)
Then I have a reference I can mark with a permanent marker as to where the 'heavy' part of the clip is.

I've got nothing better to do tbh.

It's just about being arsed! 👍🤣

The rotors on the xpower are bigger too ? So far in testing when i get the balance wrong on the driveshaft i can induce at like 30mph :) so we are looking at a definite drive shaft issue, or a harmonic issue with the motor.

A good 15 times up and down the highway, have managed to get the vibration to a point where is reasonable , essentially it narrows the start and stop speeds where the hum kicks in. I got it to a point where i can sit on 105kmh with no vibes. 95, no vibes, 100 vibes. I got hungry and caved to the big golden M sign that i went past 15 times. Its now down to mm on turning the jubilee clip. It seems i have had far more success on balancing the passenger side , the drivers side, made little difference. Next up i will add a second clip in the same location and see its too much weight or too little. Balance tomorrow , see if that lessens even more, following that pilot sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after a full balance - steering alignment and rotation. The hum has reduced ever so slightly - still annoying and vibration thru the wheel at 100 - 115. Also the balance from factory is horrible, alignment was way out - they had weights in the wrong spot ls etc - they ripped half the weights off!

Attachments

• IMG_6627.jpeg
    IMG_6627.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 42
Well after a full balance - steering alignment and rotation. The hum has reduced ever so slightly - still annoying and vibration thru the wheel at 100 - 115. Also the balance from factory is horrible, alignment was way out - they had weights in the wrong spot ls etc - they ripped half the weights off!

We are yet to find anyone who says the car is still the same even with just the balancing redone.

Shocking really.

Whoever fits and balances the tyres at the factory wants shooting. (Minimum)

Mmmm so waiting for
We are yet to find anyone who says the car is still the same even with just the balancing redone.

Shocking really.

Whoever fits and balances the tyres at the factory wants shooting. (Minimum)
yep and considering this is their top spec MG4. Still the punch in the back daily is why we bought it, i spend 98%'of my driving in the city, just be nice to have the pleasure of sitting on the speed limit on the highway.

That's it, sorted. MG have deliberately made the X Power vibrate for our benefit. Now stop bl00dy moaning. 😀😉👍

Exactly!

MG were ahead of the game all along!

They just decided to not bloody tell anyone! 🤣🤣🤣

Oh, and for the record, its not what we're experiencing.

If the vibes in our cars are engineered in?
Then you can call me Mary Poppins!🤣

No.

STOP IT.

F.F.S.

Stop calling me Mary Bloody Poppins 🤣🤣🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom