MG4 X-Power waiting area

It’s capped out at 125mph but that is less than half what it is capable of.

It’s usually possible to hack it and derestrict it so no upper limit

Of course only on the autobahn in Europe where there is no speed limit
The X-Power could do 250mph? Not a chance.

The X-Power could do 250mph? Not a chance.
The gearing will be designed around the top speed so it will not be possible to significantly increase it, the gearbox would explode.

With EVs, these things are generally not hackable as they are built into the drivetrain and not designed for changes.

The gearing will be designed around the top speed so it will not be possible to significantly increase it, the gearbox would explode.

With EVs, these things are generally not hackable as they are built into the drivetrain and not designed for changes.
Got to agree I think it would suffer some catastrophic failure before it got much further north of 150-160mph

What is the stopping distance at these speeds? What about reaction time if someone pulls in front of you?

I've done my share of it. I've had all my cars in Germany at some point, including the Golf GTi, and I've done some of that, but there's a point where prudence just says, no more. For me it's about 130 mph, I think. Maybe a bit more.

I remember something a cop said to me when he pulled me over for speeding. Probably in the XR2. "If you keep driving like that, you'll have a crash." (Well, I kind of did, but never crashed, possibly because of what he said next.) He said that when a driver sees a car approaching from behind, in their rear-view mirror, they often don't appreciate that it's doing a lot more than the legal speed, if that's what it's doing. They pull out, thinking the car is doing seventy, and the car doing ninety smashes into them.

I can't have been going that fast on that occasion, because I only got the standard three points smack-on-the-knuckles. But it's something I always remembered, from both points of view, and especially when driving in Germany. I keep a very wary eye out for any sign that someone in front might be about to pull out, and if I'm going to pull out I take long enough to gauge the speed of anything coming up behind me when I do.

I don't see how you have time to do that, at these speeds.

For me the EV speed appeal is all in the low end area of acceleration. Far superior to ICE as the power is always there. I had an i3 and ended up getting a Hyundai i30 estate for 3 years since while waiting for an ideal EV option to become available and while the i30 was nice enough that whole “spin the engine up, select the right gear (DSG auto)” before it can pull away/change speeds always irks me. I remember how good it was and I’m keen to have that back, more so with one pedal driving now being a possibility as that was effectively how I drove the i3 despite it not having true OPD.

Nippiness is far more useful to me than high end top speed I’ll never see/use but each to their own of course.

I feel exactly the same. My Golf had a DSG and there was definitely a lag. Sometimes I banged it into Sport before overtaking fast, but there was still a lag. I don't know if it was the DSG or the turbo - first and only car I ever had with a turbo. And being front-wheel drive, if I was too keen off at the lights I'd be liable to get wheel-spin. The MG4 just does it, no muss no fuss. Maybe the guy you just left standing can catch you up half a mile down the road, but that's not the point. It's about getting ahead of the slow traffic.

I noticed the MG4 doesn't have quite the oomph when accelerating at higher speeds that the Golf had. But it's still got plenty there, and it's the first part of the acceleration curve that's the important part.

This car could be more disruptive than we thought, it defies physics 😲
I have an electric scooter that had needed to be hacked to derestrict it’s top speed!

Once it spreads on social media and there are YouTube videos of the MG4 xpower being hacked and no more top end restrictions there will be competitive attempts to see what the real top end that can be achieved. Taking it to one of the race tracks or long airfields.

My guess is once the restrictions have been hacked the 125mph top end will be a lot lower than what it can achieve

Talk about exciting

Last edited:
Once it spreads on social media and there are YouTube videos of the MG4 xpower being hacked and no more top end restrictions
There will definitely still be top end restrictions, I think you missed the point of my post. Physics and Darwin will intervene at some point. As @tsedge points out the gearbox will significantly restrict the achievable top speed, for example. Of course hacking is always possible but your “no more top end restriction” assertion feels a bit simplistic, that was my point.

I have an electric scooter that had needed to be hacked to derestrict it’s top speed!

Once it spreads on social media and there are YouTube videos of the MG4 xpower being hacked and no more top end restrictions there will be competitive attempts to see what the real top end that can be achieved. Taking it to one of the race tracks or long airfields.

My guess is once the restrictions have been hacked the 125mph top end will be a lot lower than what it can achieve

Talk about exciting
Derestricting as you call it will be to the detriment of that car no end, as has been said the gearbox will suffer and I'd imagine the suspension and brakes could struggle with the speed

I'd be surprised if the idea was that popular, you would be invalidating your warranty and potentially making it uninsurable.
If it was that popular people would be getting the LR/trophies done in theory there 200+bhp should be good for over 100 mph

328kph

I wonder if the X power could beat that once it’s hacked and the restrictions lifted

This Tesla was able to do 328kph

Some are saying it would have gone even faster, way faster than it was designed to do

I wonder what the actual top end of the xpower on a racetrack will be if someone takes the restrictions off?

This new xpower MG4 is built for speed in mind everything from the suspension the gearbox everything has been built for speed

Yeah, but to a point. Help me out here, I'm genuinely ignorant. Are people building electric racing cars? What is the land speed record, what holds it, and could some sort of EV beat it?

This Tesla was able to do 328kph

Some are saying it would have gone even faster, way faster than it was designed to do

I wonder what the actual top end of the xpower on a racetrack will be if someone takes the restrictions off?

This new xpower MG4 is built for speed in mind everything from the suspension the gearbox everything has been built for speed
The difference being even an SR M3 Tesla is capable of doing 140 mph, performance M3 is north of 160, model S Tesla's are even faster, especially the Plaid. The are set up to cope with those specific speeds already

The XPower has been capped at 124mph for a reason, as I said it will totally invalidate your warranty and insurance, which if Tesla's, twin motor C40/XC40's and polestar's are anything to go by will be around group 40 as it is, so there will be zero point, insurance companies would have a field day that's even if the would insure it.

Thanks, that's really interesting. So they're still not as fast as Formula One, am I reading that right?
Current gen 2 formula E cars go about 177mph, Valtteri Bottas F1 car was clocked at 231mph during 2016 mexican race, they average 220mph

If anyone hacks it, those bolt-on fake big calipers will really earn their keep.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

If anyone hacks it, those bolt-on fake big calipers will really earn their keep.
Cracking Up Lol GIF
Was a bit surprised when I found out they were just covers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom