MG4 X-Power waiting area

I remember watching the sound barrier being broken, was it that long ago! I actually have no clue what the propulsion method was in that car.
Thrust SSC used a pair of jet engines from an old RAF Phantom fighter from the 1970's.
1920px-Phantom_FG1_43Sqn.jpg

LSR attempts almost always involve jets or rocket motors these days.

Bloodhound SSC (the still to be run successor) was in my mind for the fact is used an F1 engine…. As a fuel pump!!
But it seems they’ve upgraded from that to a 5.0 supercharged V8 🤣
Huh it’s been renamed Bloodhound LSR now too.

I remember watching the sound barrier being broken, was it that long ago! I actually have no clue what the propulsion method was in that car.
On 15 October 1997 Thrust SSC did 0 - 60 in 1.3 seconds and 0 - 100 in 4 seconds reaching a top speed of 763mph. It weighed nearly 10 tons and burned 4 gallons of fuel a second.

That looks to be quite a good deal if you look at the existing PCP prices where its £50 difference between the SE LR and Trophy which is 3K more and the X-Power is 4K more again so that would be approx £66 normally so only another £30 to cover the loss on your existing car is quite good IMO

Now if only you could switch to a 0% deal as well then you could probably do it for an even small delta maybe

Do any of you know if the Xpower model is able to save the preset driving settings?
Or does it at least save the custom mode settings?
And is it possible to completely disable regeneration, so the car will just coast when lifting the pedal?
My Chinese version of Xpower cannot save the driving mode, and it is normal every time it is started. (I thought it was a European law restriction, my VOLVO V90CC had the same problem, but the previous Toyota and Cadillac were able to stay in Sports mode forever). For kinetic energy recovery, it cannot be completely canceled. When adjusted to the lowest level, there will be 3% recovery when the accelerator is fully released. But it feels the same as a petrol engine car.

The reviews have started to land

Also, pics of the "EX4" special built for the Goodwood hill have appeared

Last edited:
Interesting, the bottom line of most is that the Extended Range one is the better car, more fun to drive and better balanced. The AWD delivers tonnes of performance but loses some of the character of the car. It’s kind of a shame but that budget has to cut somewhere.

ER is the sensible choice but I’ve rarely been known for my sensibility heh.

Top gear singing the same tune too.
Pretty sure the less fun handling isn’t a software fix so it’s going to be a hindrance to sales.

What car launched it too:

Last edited:
Interesting, the bottom line of most is that the Extended Range one is the better car, more fun to drive and better balanced. The AWD delivers tonnes of performance but loses some of the character of the car. It’s kind of a shame but that budget has to cut somewhere.

ER is the sensible choice but I’ve rarely been known for my sensibility heh.

Top gear singing the same tune too.
Pretty sure the less fun handling isn’t a software fix so it’s going to be a hindrance to sales.

What car launched it too:

The handling could be down to the tyres which were picked up on one of the reviews of being quite clearly not a performance tyre, decent enough, but not really suitable for the performance of the x power.
Again probably a cost cutting exercise, could be a decent handling car with proper performance tyres in each corner, but it's a big bill to probably shell out £8/900 plus for proper tyres

I know there will be people who love doing 0-60 in whatever.

But me? Maybe most of us? I have no idea why I would want that much power.

My wife finds herself uncomfortable with the Trophy's standard mode oomph, and always switches to Eco for that reason.

My only niggle with the drive of the Trophy is that on a few occasions, I've made a tyre squeal, starting off around a corner. And I like to think I'm a gentle driver. I have never had cause to floor the accelerator.

The handling could be down to the tyres which were picked up on one of the reviews of being quite clearly not a performance tyre, decent enough, but not really suitable for the performance of the x power.
Again probably a cost cutting exercise, could be a decent handling car with proper performance tyres in each corner, but it's a big bill to probably shell out £8/900 plus for proper tyres
Yeah, I suspect it’s gonna be a bit like my SV650 where it’s a decent budget option but with some select hop up parts, it can be much nicer and 90% capable of bikes costing much more.
It’ll be interesting to see what people discover helps the xpower fulfil some more of its potential.

Yeah, I suspect it’s gonna be a bit like my SV650 where it’s a decent budget option but with some select hop up parts, it can be much nicer and 90% capable of bikes costing much more.
It’ll be interesting to see what people discover helps the xpower fulfil some more of its potential.
It was Autoexpress or Autocar that made the comment on the Bridgestones being turanzas which are like you say not bad but definitely not performance and never really designed for cars with the MGs performance.

I get the money saving but I think it's a really poor decision by MG.
Put tyres on that are designed to cope with the cars handling and performance, so what if it made the car £500 more

It looks like interesting times for modders as I reckon all that new suspension gear will be an easy swap out for the regular models. I'd be particularly interested in the stiffer roll bars as it made a great difference changing the rear one on my Mazda 3

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom