MG4 X-Power waiting area

How would the insurance company ever know you derestricted it?
If you were ever in an accident that warranted an inspection of your car and they found out, your insurance wouldn't be valid unless you had declared the modification, you would also potentially be libel for prosecution for driving without insurance.

If it sits ok with you knowing you have done a modification major enough that it would invalidate your insurance, therefore you are basically driving round with no insurance then crack on.

If you were ever in an accident that warranted an inspection of your car and they found out, your insurance wouldn't be valid unless you had declared the modification, you would also potentially be libel for prosecution for driving without insurance.

If it sits ok with you knowing you have done a modification major enough that it would invalidate your insurance, therefore you are basically driving round with no insurance then crack on.
There is no way they could find out that you derestricted it from an inspection of the car

The only way is to drive upto 125 mph then keep going

There is no way they could find out that you derestricted it from an inspection of the car

No there isn't....unless you have an accident and they plug in a computer and check the software to see if anything failed.
And you wouldn't be able to have any further software updates from a MG authorised garage.

As I and @Ian Key has said they could easily find out, it's more a moral thing if an individual is happy knowing the basically have no insurance on their car and the potential impact that could have on others, in a worst case scenario.

As has also been pointed out the minute it was connected to an MG system it would show up, and that could just be for a bit of warranty work

As with a chipped car, a harassed and overworked assessor would have to have reason to believe the car was chipped to bother even looking.
Insurance companies might not even charge much extra anyway.

As with a chipped car, a harassed and overworked assessor would have to have reason to believe the car was chipped to bother even looking.
Insurance companies might not even charge much extra anyway.
Maybe not but a modification that major, enough to do the speeds being talked about, would have to be disclosed to your insurance company that would definitely invalidate it if you hadn't.

Yeah, but to a point. Help me out here, I'm genuinely ignorant. Are people building electric racing cars? What is the land speed record, what holds it, and could some sort of EV beat it?
Here's an electric race car build series:- Electric Classic Cars playlist
As for the land speed record, it was held by EVs for the first 5 months it was recorded - Land speed record - Wikipedia
Sadly, an EV is unlikely to regain the overall record since the sound barrier was broken in 1997

Maybe not but a modification that major, enough to do the speeds being talked about, would have to be disclosed to your insurance company that would definitely invalidate it if you hadn't.

I don’t think anyone is disputing that, are they?

Anytime you trade in a new car after a few months you lose a big chunk in depreciation (15-20%).

If you end a PCP very early you also lose because the interest is front-weighted so the capital to repay will still be high and may not even be covered by the car's worth.
That depends on how much the Manufacturer is prepared to subsidise new deals.
MY mrs has had 5 fiat 500's in the last 9 yrs. All on PCP's, all finished early. We're currently paying around £15/month less for her current one than we were the last one. Traded in 2 yrs early and got a better spec for with no cash in . Also got 3 yrs free servicing.

Do any of you know if the Xpower model is able to save the preset driving settings?
Or does it at least save the custom mode settings?
And is it possible to completely disable regeneration, so the car will just coast when lifting the pedal?

Nobody really knows as it’s not out yet, saving is unlikely though TBH. We could compare to China but they use a different software so it might still not be what we’ll get.

I’m not sure why you’d want to disable regen though? I never quite understood that, if you want it to keep the pace, keep pressing the throttle as you are, if you want to slow down for a corner lift off a little and you’re at the right speed.
Is it to replicate driving an ICE or something? Genuinely confused by that one (but I know many do it/want it, not judging obvs)

I have an E-golf atm. and I LOVE the coasting, you can relax with the right food now and then, but with regen, you have to have the food on the pedal or the car will brake :/
Do you know if the general MG4 save the custom driver settings from drive to drive? That would be a workaround for me :)

I have an E-golf atm. and I LOVE the coasting, you can relax with the right food now and then, but with regen, you have to have the food on the pedal or the car will brake :/
Do you know if the general MG4 save the custom driver settings from drive to drive? That would be a workaround for me :)
Ahh fair enough, not sure on the saving. I wish it would too though. They’re giving it a gforce meter and track mode display though so it’s not impossible.

For me I want regen there as I want that energy back in my battery. If I’m driving spiritedly then I want my foot on the pedal, if I’m chilling and wanted to change leg position then cruise control works for me.
But of course, whatever works for you. Hope you get your wishes!

PS are you hungry perchance? 😊

Last edited:
I like coasting too, I use D in my born which coasts like you wouldn’t believe (it’s almost uncanny how far it can go without slowing down)
Find it much more relaxing than B mode.
Seems to help efficiency too, I’m regularly getting over 4 and have had 6.
Amazing, nowhere near that in any previous EVs I’ve had.

I like coasting too, I use D in my born which coasts like you wouldn’t believe (it’s almost uncanny how far it can go without slowing down)
Sounds counterintuitive but I’m gonna have to try it when I finally get back in an EV.

Ahh fair enough, not sure on the saving. I wish it would too though. They’re giving it a gforce meter and track mode display though so it’s not impossible.

For me I want regen there as I want that energy back in my battery. If I’m driving spiritedly then I want my foot on the pedal, if I’m chilling and wanted to change leg position then cruise control works for me.
But of course, whatever works for you. Hope you get your wishes!

PS are you hungry perchance? 😊
Coasting IS more efficient, regen is not 1 to 1, and there is a loss, so coasting will get you higher efficiency.
So just to confirm, coasting is not possible in an MG4?
And hungry?

Bowfer, yes it it uncanny! :D That is one of the best thing about EV's :D

Bowfer, yes it it uncanny! :D That is one of the best thing about EV's :D

This is my fourth EV, and the first one that can coast with zero regen.
None of my other EVs coasted, even the least regen level had some regen.

Sounds counterintuitive but I’m gonna have to try it when I finally get back in an EV.
I think it’s the opposite, I find one pedal driving counter intuitive in that you always have to apply some pedal pressure to go forward.

I think it’s the opposite, I find one pedal driving counter intuitive in that you always have to apply some pedal pressure to go forward.
Exactly! I hope that the Xpower could be an upgrade for my E-Golf, but I think the non-coasting mode could be a dealbreaker, but we'll see when it arrives in DK..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom