MG4 X-Power waiting area

All this talk has me wondering so I’m off for a second test drive on Friday to see if I notice the vibration. I didn’t really get to cruising speed on my first test as I was busy with back roads and launching heh. Will try and see how it goes and if it irks me.
Fair enough. Personally for me (and nothing against Brettus) I'm not gonna test drive again and purposely go out looking for problems that others have unfortunately experienced. I'll stay on the positive side and hope that any niggles have been ironed out by the time I get delivery. This is like shopping at Aldi and comparing the food in Waitrose. If people can afford "better" cars then they can go and join a BMW forum, where no doubt there'll still be people finding fault in £60k+ EVs. My friend is getting an iX3 delivered tomorrow, so I'll see if he reports back with anything.

All this talk has me wondering so I’m off for a second test drive on Friday to see if I notice the vibration. I didn’t really get to cruising speed on my first test as I was busy with back roads and launching heh. Will try and see how it goes and if it irks me.
I noticed it on both my test drives but it wasn’t particularly intrusive. I was aware of it because of this forum before the test drive so I then probably went looking for it.

It certainly wasn’t enough to stop me putting in an order. Could be tyres, could resonant frequencies, could be imbalance between the motors. It won’t stop me enjoying the car when it arrives and for the next four years.

I'll stay on the positive side and hope that any niggles have been ironed out by the time I get delivery.

Hmm, it's not really MG's MO so far though is it :confused: If this vibration/ resonance is a 'thing' you're probably going to have to live with it.
I would be interested to find out what type of motor set up SAIC have gone for with the front assembly.
If its an induction motor or decoupling perm mag type there should be no 'cogging' or drag experienced when the motor is not active ( assuming that's what the issue is )

Who knows, real shame if it spoils the car though, quite tempted by one.

Hmm, it's not really MG's MO so far though is it :confused: If this vibration/ resonance is a 'thing' you're probably going to have to live with it.
I would be interested to find out what type of motor set up SAIC have gone for with the front assembly.
If its an induction motor or decoupling perm mag type there should be no 'cogging' or drag experienced when the motor is not active ( assuming that's what the issue is )

I could be very wrong, but the horsepower numbers suggest that the front motor is the "old" 201hp one from the 64kWh Trophy, and the rear is the 230hp one from the 77kWh car.

Interesting to read reports on real world driving experiences once cars start arriving in numbers. one you tube road test I read suggested that the handling had been made more neutral by the introduction of 4WD despite the extra power

I could be very wrong, but the horsepower numbers suggest that the front motor is the "old" 201hp one from the 64kWh Trophy, and the rear is the 230hp one from the 77kWh car.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've gone for the cheapest, simplest off the shelf solution and hoped no one noticed.

'Whaddya expect for the price?' should really be their official mission statement rather than 'Get more' ;)

though for this performance it is typically a lot more.

Indeed, bonkers performance for the price. I was just thinking about a clear memory I have from 1986 reading about the then new Sierra Cosworth .
0 - 60 in 6.2 sec, 200hp, it was enough to make a teenage lad ill with desire 🤑
If only I had a hope in hell of finding the £15,995 🫤

According to an inflation calculator. that 16k is 60k in todays money, making the MG a bit of a bargain, and the MG would make the cossie look like it was still parked in a 0 - 60 contest.
Although if you had bought that Sierra and stored it in a dry garage with the delivery miles, you could afford to buy a second house now, doubt the MG will do the same.

Indeed, bonkers performance for the price. I was just thinking about a clear memory I have from 1986 reading about the then new Sierra Cosworth .
I had a Cossie RS picture on my wall as a teenager.
According to an inflation calculator. that 16k is 60k in todays money, making the MG a bit of a bargain, and the MG would make the cossie look like it was still parked in a 0 - 60 contest.
Although if you had bought that Sierra and stored it in a dry garage with the delivery miles, you could afford to buy a second house now, doubt the MG will do the same.
Indeed, while I share your doubts, it is possible that cars like this will gain in value once new cars have their top speed restricted and speed limits enforced automatically. As a retro / classic buy it might become valuable.

A mint (concourse) 3.0S Capri is selling for £70k
God knows what a sierra cosworth would go for.

Not sure if you have seen any of Sandy Munros youtube stuff. He was mentored by William Demming! Sandy has striped down loads of EVs and he's always said china is the Japanese! The link below is about a motor strip down and about half way through talks about front motor vibrations in a sense. Worth a watch.

Like I've said I pulled out of my order but if this issue gets raised then for those who have one coming perhaps a retro fit damper on a drive shift might help but SAIC need to address is so speaking out and pointing it out to the dealer can only be a good thing right?

Link below re motor strip down

Not sure if you have seen any of Sandy Munros youtube stuff. He was mentored by William Demming! Sandy has striped down loads of EVs and he's always said china is the Japanese! The link below is about a motor strip down and about half way through talks about front motor vibrations in a sense. Worth a watch.

Like I've said I pulled out of my order but if this issue gets raised then for those who have one coming perhaps a retro fit damper on a drive shift might help but SAIC need to address is so speaking out and pointing it out to the dealer can only be a good thing right?

Link below re motor strip down

Sandy's channel is great for engineering nerds and his EV tear-downs are fascinating. Sadly MG isn't in the US, so there's no prospect of his comments on an MG4.

No doubt the solution is cheap, that's their market.

Tons of options if you want to pay more, though for this performance it is typically a lot more.

A not very used Tesla M3P…
Proven pretty bloody bulletproof and a reputation for amazing after sales service.
No yearly service costs like MG are ripping people off for either (this really annoys me, it’s inexcusable)

Last edited:
A not very used Tesla M3P…
Proven pretty bloody bulletproof and a reputation for amazing after sales service.
No yearly service costs like MG are ripping people off for either (this really annoys me, it’s inexcusable)
That's a good option. Yearly services are easy to avoid if you don't have any dealer network to support. A lot of people like having a local dealer to sort them out - at least those that offer a good service, we know that's very variable with MG dealers! Maybe dealers are a relic of the past, we shall see.

I'm not so keen on being a number in the Tesla machine, but it is mainly the product I don't like, if they make something I want (not M3) at a good price and I can get over the silly idiosyncratic restrictions (including no buttons, no drivers screen or HUD, no CarPlay), then I'll buy it.

That's a good option. Yearly services are easy to avoid if you don't have any dealer network to support. A lot of people like having a local dealer to sort them out - at least those that offer a good service, we know that's very variable with MG dealers! Maybe dealers are a relic of the past, we shall see.

I'm not so keen on being a number in the Tesla machine, but it is mainly the product I don't like, if they make something I want (not M3) at a good price and I can get over the silly idiosyncratic restrictions (including no buttons, no drivers screen or HUD, no CarPlay), then I'll buy it.

Do they do USB music…. 😉

Maybe dealers are a relic of the past, we shall see.

The big shiny showrooms might stay around, but the large workshops attached will die off.

I noted our local Nissan dealer has downsized recently.
Baffling how Nissan have taken the leaf from the ‘mass starter’ EV to a forgotten car, but that’s another thread…

The big shiny showrooms might stay around, but the large workshops attached will die off.

I noted our local Nissan dealer has downsized recently.
Baffling how Nissan have taken the leaf from the ‘mass starter’ EV to a forgotten car, but that’s another thread…
Nissan could have been the market leader. Astonishing how they missed this. Anyway, off topic as you say.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom