MG4 X-Power waiting area

Nissan could have been the market leader. Astonishing how they missed this. Anyway, off topic as you say.
Apologies for staying off topic. My dealer also has the Nissan franchise on the same site and when I ordered mine they said since they started to have MGs they were selling twice as fast as the Nissans.

Apologies for staying off topic. My dealer also has the Nissan franchise on the same site and when I ordered mine they said since they started to have MGs they were selling twice as fast as the Nissans.

Of course they are, the Leaf is way too old fashioned now, even if it doesn’t actually drive any worse than the 4 ( I’ve owned both ).
The interior in particular is hopeless, with an analogue speedo in a traditional instrument nacelle, along with a teeny middle screen that’s mounted low.
It’s as bad as the MGZS interior, and that’s baaad.
The 4 is light years ahead in terms of displays.

Had my second test drive in the xpower today primed to feel for vibrations and when I first got up to speed nothing jumped out. Second roundabout and I was dialling up the sensitivity and yeah I did notice it.
For me it’s not enough to be concerning and hopefully can be ironed out but it’s certainly not enough (for me) to be put off.

It’s monstrously quick and felt v planted on the roundabouts I was hustling it through. I got an updated ETA whilst there of “late Sept” so I’m excited all over but tempering that with, it still might be Xmas if something goes wrong. Heh.

Had a test drive today for an hour.

Green car, paint looks great.
I don’t even mind the calliper covers - had a good poke around them and they aren’t as cheap as I expected.

Car drives very well. I’ve had many hot hatches / performance cars over the years and the pace this car has is blistering and given the delivery quite exhilarating. Doubt the power will get boring.

I was expecting two things - poor damping and poor brakes. It has neither - yes it’s firm, but it puts the power down pretty well and stays reasonably stable whilst taking on some of the twisty stuff - brakes have good bite and will, coupled with single pedal driving (which my current car doesn’t have and I like), be perfectly adequate for the car - a definite improvement on other EV’s I’ve driven.

Got the car up to 70+ and checked for the vibration. It’s less of a vibration more of a hum.
I wouldn’t have noticed it if I wasn’t looking for it and it doesn’t affect the way the car drives at all. I expect given a couple of weeks you’ll dial it out and forget about it (if they don’t find a fix for it).

Interior is a bit minimal for my liking, but everything works and the touch screen is great (unlike the abomination in Cupra’s).
Seating position is good. Seats firm but comfortable.

2.7 miles per kWh over my 35 miles driving the roads I would use in the way I would use them on a daily basis. Not great but okay - free charging at work so simple to keep it adequately charged.
Cool and wet up here today - 12/13 degrees during test.

Definitely going to place an order!

However I don’t really want this car until the new tax year (buying on salary sacrifice).
Dealer told me orders are currently getting delivery dates around 5/6 weeks from now.

Going to keep an eye on prices on my work scheme and order when it looks like they are going to start going up in price (the deal for me just now is £355/month for a Green one).

Last edited:
Interior is a bit minimal for my liking, but everything works and the touch screen is great (unlike the abomination in Cupra’s).

Absolute polar opposite of what I found.
The Cupra screen is much easier to use, partly because it’s bigger and partly because it doesn’t need umpteen prods to get things to change.
Maybe your Cupra was on the old version early users moan about, but is getting updated now.
Mine came on the latest version and has been great.

Absolute polar opposite of what I found.
The Cupra screen is much easier to use, partly because it’s bigger and partly because it doesn’t need umpteen prods to get things to change.
Maybe your Cupra was on the old version early users moan about, but is getting updated now.
Mine came on the latest version and has been great.
What have they changed?
Was awful on the Formentor - just didn’t work, constant failures, zero ability from dealerships to diagnose / rectify.
Got out of that very quickly - awful cars.

Had a look at a Born and couldn’t get over two things - the system was basically the same (albeit without glitches maybe) and it looks like an ID3 that’s been Halfordized. Performance was relatively poor too when they are calling it a “hot” hatch.

What have they changed?
Was awful on the Formentor - just didn’t work, constant failures, zero ability from dealerships to diagnose / rectify.
Got out of that very quickly - awful cars.

Had a look at a Born and couldn’t get over two things - the system was basically the same (albeit without glitches maybe) and it looks like an ID3 that’s been Halfordized. Performance was relatively poor too when they are calling it a “hot” hatch.

Can’t comment on the Formentor, the born software has been updated for some time (my car was March) and older cars are getting issued with it.
The new version will allow OTA updates in future too.
You’ll forgive me laughing at your Halfords comment when you’re buying a car with fake big brake calipers….

Can’t comment on the Formentor, the born software has been updated for some time (my car was March) and older cars are getting issued with it.
You’ll forgive me laughing at your Halfords comment when you’re buying a car with fake big brake calipers….
You have a Born? Sorry for pointing that out then. Touched a nerve…..

No, I get the Born not being everyone’s cup of tea.
But using the term Halfords is incredibly ironic from someone with a car with Aliexpress ‘fake brakes’
Cool. As long as you are happy with your car tis all that matters.
I don’t mind the “callipers”, but if I do when I get one I’m sure they can be removed. Rest of the car is as subtle as they come for a performance variant, which is good. Certainly couldn’t be accused of being all show and no go.

Last edited:
What exactly is fake about the callipers? Yes there is a plastic orange cover on them but the brakes have been upgraded from the Trophy version. Don't see the point in bitching about the car, if you don't like it, leave the forum and join one for a car you prefer.

What exactly is fake about the callipers? Yes there is a plastic orange cover on them but the brakes have been upgraded from the Trophy version. Don't see the point in bitching about the car, if you don't like it, leave the forum and join one for a car you prefer.
I don't see @bowfer bitching just replying to a comment that the Born looks like it's covered in Halfords accessories, he has pointed out that instead of actually putting decent coloured calipers on the 4 (yes they are upgraded) they have used plastic caliper covers.
Bowfer's contribution to this forum can't be questioned he bought a 4 and his experiences with the various faults his car had has been invaluable to other members looking for answers when there cars have had similar issues.
I think the fact that he paid good money and bought a 4 gives him every right to comment in here, why would he be a fan of the car or MG after what he went through.
He is good for a bit of balance when everyone gets carried away comparing 4's to Tesla's etc

I don't see @bowfer bitching just replying to a comment that the Born looks like it's covered in Halfords accessories, he has pointed out that instead of actually putting decent coloured calipers on the 4 (yes they are upgraded) they have used plastic caliper covers.
Bowfer's contribution to this forum can't be questioned he bought a 4 and his experiences with the various faults his car had has been invaluable to other members looking for answers when there cars have had similar issues.
I think the fact that he paid good money and bought a 4 gives him every right to comment in here, why would he be a fan of the car or MG after what he went through.
He is good for a bit of balance when everyone gets carried away comparing 4's to Tesla's etc
As a newbie I can’t comment on the value that’s previously been added, but that value becomes diluted with negative repetition which is what newcomers will be seeing.
All for having your say, but there’s surely a line to be drawn for their and everyone else’s sanity.

So he/she/they have made a childish comment about callipers because someone made a comment about the Cupra Born. I'm sure the previous comments from their poor experience have a right to be heard, but things generally improve over time so no point in continually making negative comments as others who are maybe easily influenced don't get the chance to make their own minds up. If 75% of drivers had a poor MG experience, then I could see why people would take notice and not make an order, but the numbers seem completely the obverse, so continually knocking something then just seems like sour grapes.

Good to have you back @Leni16.

There's a lot of fuss being made around these parts about things that are preferences, like the caliper covers.

Some will like them, some will hate them, some will think them cool, some cheap and fake.

But they have nothing to do with how the car performs, with its upgraded ventilated discs all round. Reviews say that the braking performance is one of the strong points.

And you can remove them if you don't like them and you can avoid buying the car if it puts you off.

Personally I don't like them.

So he/she/they have made a childish comment about callipers because someone made a comment about the Cupra Born. I'm sure the previous comments from their poor experience have a right to be heard, but things generally improve over time so no point in continually making negative comments as others who are maybe easily influenced don't get the chance to make their own minds up. If 75% of drivers had a poor MG experience, then I could see why people would take notice and not make an order, but the numbers seem completely the obverse, so continually knocking something then just seems like sour grapes.
I wouldn't describe his comment as childish, merely a similar tone to the comment made about the born, I agree re the negative comments but your reverse figure off 25% has had issues (which may be pretty accurate) is stil 1 in every 4 cars which is pretty poor

A mere stab in the dark at the figures, this forum would initially give an indication of 90% disappointment whereas the actual figure probably a lot lower, but as with social media, happy people don't always cast their opinion. Will be interesting to see official JD Power type surveys. But yet again it comes back to cost. A £4 t-shirt from Primark will probably be wear out and look worse than one 2-3 times more expensive. My friend turned up in his new lease iX3 pro spec yesterday and this is a full £30k more expensive than the Xpower. Will it have as many problems/gripes as a budget MG? Probably not but our salaries and expectations are different so I'll stick with waiting for the Xpower and have to accept it won't be as refined or problem-free as the BMW. If you go looking for problems, then generally you won't stop until you find something. I'll stay positive thanks and if anything negative arises, much like life I'll try and find a way to resolve it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom