MG4 X-Power waiting area

Do you think X-power drivers are only going to care about accelerating to 70mph?
Reminding each other in nasal voices that “it’s the legal limit and why would you want more?”
What colour are the clouds in your world?
I’m not condoning speeding, I have a private test track to do mine, but let’s be realistic here….

I've seldom seen Tesla's (for example) doing more than the limit.. and some of them are rockets as we know. Why would it be different with the 4wd MG4?

Now white vans on the other hand, they must be the fastest thing on the road, because no matter what speed you're going, there always seems to be one right up your backend trying to get ahead of you.

But yeah, why buy a car with a top speed of 101 if you're going to be frustrated, every day as you drive on your own 'private test track' - which no-one believes btw. I'm not sure we'll ever truly know..

Yet you feel that frustration every day. I feel for you.

Hey, at least this car does what it should.
I’ll take that as a win.

I've seldom seen Tesla's (for example) doing more than the limit.. and some of them are rockets as we know. Why would it be different with the 4wd MG4?

Now white vans on the other hand, they must be the fastest thing on the road, because no matter what speed you're going, there always seems to be one right up your backend trying to get ahead of you.

But yeah, why buy a car with a top speed of 101 if you're going to be frustrated, every day as you drive on your own 'private test track' - which no-one believes btw. I'm not sure we'll ever truly know..

No one believes me?
Oh no.

Frustration with restricted top speeds on most EVs I can live with.
101mph is enough on my private test track in most situations.
But I only have 200bhp (boosting to 230bhp).
I don’t have 300+ bhp getting me to that 101mph in a few seconds.
“Yippeeeee….oh…”

Mind you, I don’t have standard brakes fitted with fake orange covers either.
Man that makes me laugh…pure Halfords.
😂

I don’t have 300+ bhp getting me to that 101mph in a few seconds.
“Yippeeeee….oh…”
Of course, there are certain “types” of driver for whom this would feel inadequate. I think everyone here keenly feels your current frustration though fortunately the private test track seems to mitigate this without you becoming a mobile chicane. It’s great that you have found a way of coping with the inadequacy that works for you. 👍

To be fair not every MG4 Luxury seem to be restricted at 160kmt/100mph as 170kmt have been seen. So the X should easely push 200kmt as I think the LR could do it unrestricted.

My own have never been tried pushed past 160kmt since I have not been able to take it to a long and safe enough "private" test track yet to push it.

I have noticed that the speedometer and my gps show exactly the same kmt for kmt, so no 3-4 kmt over to get correct legal speed with mine.
This with 215/50r17 tyres.
Are other MG4s speedometers that accurate to?

Yes, I have noticed from day one that the speedo on my SE SR is bang on the nose.

I have some suspicion that the mileages may be under-reading though.

Bjørn Nyland mentioned it was underreporting distance a lot, I'm not sure but I think he said 2,4% if so our w/km / w/miles numbers are better than shown in the car.

Last edited:
I wonder if the speedo is calibrated every time it connects to the GPS signal but the mileage is taken from a sensor in the drive train.

To be fair not every MG4 Luxury seem to be restricted at 160kmt/100mph as 170kmt have been seen. So the X should easely push 200kmt as I think the LR could do it unrestricted.

My own have never been tried pushed past 160kmt since I have not been able to take it to a long and safe enough "private" test track yet to push it.

I have noticed that the speedometer and my gps show exactly the same kmt for kmt, so no 3-4 kmt over to get correct legal speed with mine.
This with 215/50r17 tyres.
Are other MG4s speedometers that accurate to?

An unrestricted SR could exceed 200kmh, or should do with 170bhp and a slippery shape.

Just had an interesting voicemail left that mentions potentially end of next month for an x-power to be available for me. Exciting stuff and I’ll hopefully find out more tomorrow but thought I’d give some news back to this awesome community. Seems official details should be landing any day. As and when I find out more I’ll let you know.

Not sure I trust the leaks happening as it suggests a single rear motor for x-power :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:EV are quick, Not fast,
Quick from standstill,
Not fast as in top speed.

There seems to be lots of conversations on the MG4 being fast / quick, now as long as people can continue not to be able to distinguish between these then the conversations will remain interesting .
Which. do you want.
To have both will need far better capacity batteries to take an EV out onto a test track for a few hours.
Oh and before anyone mentions the Porsche - it only has claimed WLTP of 300 miles and I am still trying to work out how many times Top Gear had to recharge the one they had on to complete the filming ;)

I have been considering the xPower but I have found out that it will be come with the 64kw battery with dealer saying range of 250 miles, not saying if it's WLTP or real ? if it is WLTP that's my dealbreaker as it would be very short lived fun .
If the Trophy's WLTP is 270 then the 250 must be the WLTP figure. With the same battery powering 2 motors the range must be less than standard Trophy.

Many posts on Facebook tonight suggesting the MSRP of the X POWER model will be GBP 36,495. This might be the performance bargain of the decade.
Holy cow if that’s true I’ll be a happy bunny I was bracing for £41-42k (expecting the worst) that is remarkably on point with their early speculation.

If the Trophy's WLTP is 270 then the 250 must be the WLTP figure. With the same battery powering 2 motors the range must be less than standard Trophy.
239 mile according to the Autoexpress article

Holy cow if that’s true I’ll be a happy bunny I was bracing for £41-42k (expecting the worst) that is remarkably on point with their early speculation.
Here is the very new "Leaked" price of the car - £36,495.00

Last edited:
Is it still AWD? There some info out there suggesting it's a larger rear motor, which then reduces boot capacity. I need AWD and I need the boot capacity - these would be definite deal breakers for me

Is it still AWD? There some info out there suggesting it's a larger rear motor, which then reduces boot capacity. I need AWD and I need the boot capacity - these would be definite deal breakers for me
Would seem strange of they binned the AWD, as the Chinese version is awd

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom