MG4 X-Power waiting area

After MG have dropped it on the Festival of Speed, they won't have to take a penny off as orders will pile up.

To be fair it was the same with the MG4 at launch - no discounts according to some dealerships (in reality there was a 2%ish discount). But less than a year later there was £3k off them (and still is).

I'd be happy to hold off a year or so if it meant saving a few £k, but by then the MG Cyberster order books will be open! Decisions decisions...

I would say my MG4 Luxury is plenty fast enough for what I'm using it for, if I floor it under 100kmt (especially under 70kmt) it responds so fast and effortlessly that I have to liken it to ice cars with 400hp+ in practical/usable acceleration in traffic below 100kmt / 62mph (downshifts and so on eats up a lot of time).

The MG4 luxury has a very good but not great road holding. Actually it,s kind of strange sensation as the car has a low center of gravity it more or less feels like the wheels are pushed straight out when cornering fast. Wonder if the Conti premiumcontact C has somthing to do with that sensation?

I realy hope MG make the X-power more stable than the regular MG4 as highspeeds on bad roads is not where it shines the most.
That said the MG4 when driven activly and not disturbed to much, is facinating fast when driven on bendy sweeping roads.

Am I the only one that find EVs in general very fast and in fact punching almost twice what their hp ratings are in ordinary normal traffic and normal speeds?

I can share a news that my AWD version will feel the vibration in the steering wheel at around 105km/h. Conventionally, we would consider it to be a dynamic balance problem with the front wheels. But it is not, and owners of other AWD versions in China have also reported this problem. We speculate that it may be a problem with the synchronization of the front and rear motors, because MG rarely uses synchronous motors at the front and rear, and hope that the problem can be solved through software updates in the future.

Well that’s an unfortunate speed for it to occur, prime cruising speed where it’ll spend a decent amount of time on a longer trip. As you say though hopefully a reasonably easily addressed problem. 🤞 thanks for updating us!

I can share a news that my AWD version will feel the vibration in the steering wheel at around 105km/h. Conventionally, we would consider it to be a dynamic balance problem with the front wheels. But it is not, and owners of other AWD versions in China have also reported this problem. We speculate that it may be a problem with the synchronization of the front and rear motors, because MG rarely uses synchronous motors at the front and rear, and hope that the problem can be solved through software updates in the future.
I had a problem with vibration at the same speed on my Trophy when new. After repeated investigation and many balancing attempts, the tyres were replaced. Instantly fixed the problem. Tyres were sent back to Continental who did not admit any issue but made a 70% ”goodwill” contribution. When investigating the problem I drove the identical demonstrator car dealer received same day as mine. It had exactly the same issue, tyres.

I am getting more inclined towards the Volvo EX30, 0-62 in 5.7s for LPF (£33,795) and 5.3 for NMC is fast enough for me. The awd is 0-62 in 3.6s.
I had one of the first mondeo V6'S which was 8.3s, considered a bit fast in its time, how things have changed.

I had a problem with vibration at the same speed on my Trophy when new. After repeated investigation and many balancing attempts, the tyres were replaced. Instantly fixed the problem. Tyres were sent back to Continental who did not admit any issue but made a 70% ”goodwill” contribution. When investigating the problem I drove the identical demonstrator car dealer received same day as mine. It had exactly the same issue, tyres.
Thank you for comment, my tires are Bridgestone T005EV, and the owner who has the same problem as me has tried the balance. I will continue to share any new information

I wouldn't think so, not initially.
I had a ZS on order with the Affinity scheme and there was £4k off, substantial saving. When I bought the MG4 and new 5 the garage said that it's a few years before the cars go on that scheme. The 4 and new 5 were too new and were not in the scheme yet.

If it ever did go on I'd not expect it for at least 18 months.

I am getting more inclined towards the Volvo EX30, 0-62 in 5.7s for LPF (£33,795) and 5.3 for NMC is fast enough for me. The awd is 0-62 in 3.6s.
I had one of the first mondeo V6'S which was 8.3s, considered a bit fast in its time, how things have changed.
Yes anything 8secs or thereabouts were considered fast in those days.
Any cars which did less than 6 secs would have considered to be blistering!

The Volvo doesn't arrive until 2024 and the £33,795 version only gives you 218 miles of range, it is £38k for a version that is range competitive with an MG4 LR. It does look like a nice car and is well equipped, although to get some extras like the 360 camera you need the £42k higher spec version.

Thank you for comment, my tires are Bridgestone T005EV, and the owner who has the same problem as me has tried the balance. I will continue to share any new information
Out of interest, how would you rate the brakes on your car? I don’t often push on fast in my Trophy but on the rare occasion I have, the brakes have felt like they fade quickly if braking from high speed. Are the brakes on your car better spec than ours do you know and how do you find them with that crazy power available?

Out of interest, how would you rate the brakes on your car? I don’t often push on fast in my Trophy but on the rare occasion I have, the brakes have felt like they fade quickly if braking from high speed. Are the brakes on your car better spec than ours do you know and how do you find them with that crazy power available?
Visually, the AWD version has larger front and rear brake rotors. My friend has tested that the braking distance from 100km/h to 0 on a dry asphalt road is about 33 meters. (He is fully braking at 130km/h, so it is already in a full braking state from 100km/h) So i think no problem under full braking. But there are still 2 points. First, because the initial stage of braking is only energy recovery, it will be limited at certain temperatures or when the battery is fully charged. Second, sometimes the energy recovery is not very strong, which will give people a feeling of uneasiness.

Visually, the AWD version has larger front and rear brake rotors. My friend has tested that the braking distance from 100km/h to 0 on a dry asphalt road is about 33 meters. (He is fully braking at 130km/h, so it is already in a full braking state from 100km/h) So i think no problem under full braking. But there are still 2 points. First, because the initial stage of braking is only energy recovery, it will be limited at certain temperatures or when the battery is fully charged. Second, sometimes the energy recovery is not very strong, which will give people a feeling of uneasiness.
Thanks for the insight, it is useful to have a member on here from Shanghai, Welcome!

I take it there has been no confirmation that this is being caused by the 2 motors, quite a major issue if true.
Definitely something you would have thought came to light during testing

Well, who would have thought it's possible to not notice an oil leak in 2022 and put in into production like that.
You make a very valid point

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom