MG4 X-Power waiting area

An aerial atom owner saying it’s quick…
curiosity GIF

As a ‘22 trophy owner, I have the very fortunate opportunity to get a company car with the xpower being top of the list.

I test drove the xpower this morning!

Coming from the trophy being my favourite car that I’ve ever had, the xpower takes it to the next level.

The handling for everyday driving has pretty much the same feel as the trophy for normal driving but with explosive acceleration whenever needed.

Straight line acceleration is very very entertaining with the launch mode taking thing a to another level.

The dealership weren’t aware of the launch mode so I took a couple of them out and demonstrated - it is definitely a car to put a smile on people’s faces (the acceleration on launch mode made the guys from the dealer laugh out loud).

The xpower had the latest software with the new controls for air con. It also has the air con chirp 😂

As part of the latest software it comes with the one pedal driving. It does a great job - stronger regen than the trophy.

With the stronger regen, the ACC performed much better than the trophy with much smoother changes in speed with traffic.

Interior design is as the trophy other than materials. The middle headrest is a bit pointless and the rear wiper surplus to requirements (it was raining during the test drive and I didn’t feel the need to use it).

Given the acceleration, grab handles are a nice addition.

So overall, my trophy is a great car with xpower adding another layer and now I’m really tempted to get a white xpower on salary sacrifice.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback, I’ve put in an order last week, now looking at the minefield of EV chargers and Octopus intelligent tariff issues.

As a ‘22 trophy owner, I have the very fortunate opportunity to get a company car with the xpower being top of the list.

Coming from the trophy being my favourite car that I’ve ever had, the xpower takes it to the next level.

The handling for everyday driving has pretty much the same feel as the trophy for normal driving but with explosive acceleration whenever needed.

Straight line acceleration is very very entertaining with the launch mode taking thing a to another level.

The dealership weren’t aware of the launch mode so I took a couple of them out and demonstrated - it is definitely a car to put a smile on people’s faces (the acceleration on launch mode made the guys from the dealer laugh out loud).

The xpower had the latest software with the new controls for air con. It also has the air con chirp 😂

As part of the latest software it comes with the one pedal driving. It does a great job - stronger regen than the trophy.

With the stronger regen, the ACC performed much better than the trophy with much smoother changes in speed with traffic.

Interior design is as the trophy other than materials. The middle headrest is a bit pointless and the rear wiper surplus to requirements (it was raining during the test drive and I didn’t feel the need to use it).

So overall, my trophy is a great car with xpower adding another layer and now I’m really tempted to get a white xpower on salary sacrifice.

They can’t even fix the existing aircon chirp out.
Nope, just churn out another model with the same problem.

I thought that was fixed by changing the oil or something like that.

So why aren’t they doing it?
Honestly, people are so fixated with the power/acceleration for a ‘bargain’ price that they’re overlooking the same old issues and some frankly laughable stuff.
I mean, come on, bolt on covers to make the calipers look bigger…
If the prospective owners of this car saw a Corsa with this they’d laugh at them.

I'm not sure how much of a sound is abmormal. Some people obviously had an abnormal sound, and that was fixed with the change of oil or whatever, and they now say it's silent. However the sound my car's aircon makes is not necessarily something I would have pegged as abnormal if it weren't for people here going on about it

If the prospective owners of this car saw a Corsa with this they’d laugh at them

If it were a 3.8s to 60 Corsa it would be a wry, pragmatic, smile. 🤨

I'm not sure how much of a sound is abmormal. Some people obviously had an abnormal sound, and that was fixed with the change of oil or whatever, and they now say it's silent. However the sound my car's aircon makes is not necessarily something I would have pegged as abnormal if it weren't for people here going on about it
I agree with you, as my Trophy AC has made a chirp noise from the start, but it is not noticable inside the car and its only really noticeable outside because there is no engine noise to mask it. I wouldnt classify this as a fault at all.

I took an xpower for a test drive yesterday in some appauling wet weather and i was amazed how all the power could be applied coming out of a bend and there was no slippage whatsoever. I cant do that in my Trophy with less than half the power. It gives great confidence to the driver that the exta power is not going to do something nasty.

I would say that the xpower felt safer to drive in the wet weather than my Trophy, so thats sold it as far as my wife is concerned. Now just have to get it past my financial advisor (who is also my wife 🙃)
20230722_122900.jpg

Thanks for the mini review, once we've moved house I also plan to test drive a x-power and see how the handling compares to my BMW Series 2 M235i GC..

I'm certainly not going to contemplate an X-Power this year or probably not next year either, so I'll keep monitoring this thread to see if I will ever do it. But I will certainly change the tyres on my SE in the autumn and see what happens.

I agree with you, as my Trophy AC has made a chirp noise from the start, but it is not noticable inside the car and its only really noticeable outside because there is no engine noise to mask it. I wouldnt classify this as a fault at all.

I took an xpower for a test drive yesterday in some appauling wet weather and i was amazed how all the power could be applied coming out of a bend and there was no slippage whatsoever. I cant do that in my Trophy with less than half the power. It gives great confidence to the driver that the exta power is not going to do something nasty.

I would say that the xpower felt safer to drive in the wet weather than my Trophy, so thats sold it as far as my wife is concerned. Now just have to get it past my financial advisor (who is also my wife 🙃)View attachment 19177
4WD does have more traction and could power out of corner far more aggressively without drama.
My current LR will spin its rear wheels even if I accelerate harder in a straight line. Definitely needs more care when entering into a bend.

Edit: spins its rear wheels in wet conditions, traction control stepped in to cured my behaviour😁

Last edited:
I don’t know why everyone says 200 miles is not enough range, I never drive more than 150 miles without wanting to stop so you may as well charge it

I wonder what insurance will be like?

Also wonder what kind of deals there will be leasing the xpower once things have settled down by next year?

You could lease an SESR for about £260 month with very little down.

What is everyone’s guess for an x power?

They test drive that was posted , was dry weather 21° and a mix of roads, 30, 60, and dual carriageway, the poster worked it out as the range would have been 179 miles.

I believe the insurance group is group 40, the SR is group 21 and LR is 28
I wonder what insurance will be like?

Also wonder what kind of deals there will be leasing the xpower once things have settled down by next year?

You could lease an SESR for about £260 month with very little down.

What is everyone’s guess for an x power?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom