MG4 XPower Range and efficiency

Each time I've tried to use the battery preheat, it's told me not needed?!?

Trying to calculate some numbers from a brief drive today...

Started with 80% and 180 est. Drove 48 miles (mixture of roads, speeds & acceleration but ended as 30mph avg).

Use was 19% of battery & 42 miles of range & 3.5mls/kWh. No HVAC at all just seat & s/wheel.

Total power consumption was 13kWh and 4kWh of regen.

Consumption would indicate 9kWh used whereas 19% of usable battery (61.8kW according to MG brochure) is 11.74kWh???

Now have 61% left and 133 est which gives an estimated 218.03 of total range based on today's driving style.
Battery preheat is only really needed at temps below - 10 I've been told

Thanks all - I ordered X-Power. Should be owner in Feb-24 as per Tusker website :D
Nice mine is on order Camden Grey , i do mostly 30 miles a day and drive like a hoon, city usage stats wont even be on my mind , i do maybe 8 drives a year of 240 miles, chargers are avail all the way, also get to use tesla chargers. I dont mind spending time at chargers for 8 times a year, ill drive like i always do and top up when needed. Xpower is really for my scenario, occasional long trips with 95% city use. I used to own a nissan GTIR hot hatch with some nice mods back in the day, that was in the low 4s, this kind of reminded me of that acceleration, but i do miss turbo spool and knowing theres a punch in the back on its way. I currently have a low six second modified nissan leaf with coil overs, semi slicks, front wheel spin is the big issue but handles on rails compared to the xpower. Its staying in the family so no loss. Great quick little city hatch. I did see some suspension kits getting released for the xpower. Not sure it will handle much better as it needs vectoring sorted etc. some people are seeing 3.6 to 62, maybe they swapped tyres ?

Nice mine is on order Camden Grey , i do mostly 30 miles a day and drive like a hoon, city usage stats wont even be on my mind , i do maybe 8 drives a year of 240 miles, chargers are avail all the way, also get to use tesla chargers. I dont mind spending time at chargers for 8 times a year, ill drive like i always do and top up when needed. Xpower is really for my scenario, occasional long trips with 95% city use. I used to own a nissan GTIR hot hatch with some nice mods back in the day, that was in the low 4s, this kind of reminded me of that acceleration, but i do miss turbo spool and knowing theres a punch in the back on its way. I currently have a low six second modified nissan leaf with coil overs, semi slicks, front wheel spin is the big issue but handles on rails compared to the xpower. Its staying in the family so no loss. Great quick little city hatch. I did see some suspension kits getting released for the xpower. Not sure it will handle much better as it needs vectoring sorted etc. some people are seeing 3.6 to 62, maybe they swapped tyres ?
Im regularly hoping the lights turn red these days, just for an excuse to floor it 😬. You’ll love it !

..........I currently have a low six second modified nissan leaf with coil overs, semi slicks, front wheel spin is the big issue but handles on rails compared to the xpower. Its staying in the family so no loss. ....

I think some decent UHP tyres on the Xpower would change that .... Michelin do some Pilot Sport 4 that fit (and are EV compatable as they are made for / used by Tesla)

Yeh the test drive was fun, second fastest car ive been in, P100D sort of ruined whats considered fast :) but that was 3.5x the price.
I think the acceleration of the xpower crosses a line where you physically get an adrenaline rush every time, no matter how many times you do it. Like it’s unnatural for the human body to be lurched forward that fast. I know there are faster cars, but the xpower is on the other side of the line regardless - its like a mini heart attack each time.

In my Subaru days we used to contrast the Scooby with a motorbike; the bike may be quicker, but you're leaning into the acceleration, an active participant. In the Scooby (and now the X Power), it's like being bowled underarm by god in a comfy seat - something that happens to you.

In my Subaru days we used to contrast the Scooby with a motorbike; the bike may be quicker, but you're leaning into the acceleration, an active participant. In the Scooby (and now the X Power), it's like being bowled underarm by god in a comfy seat - something that happens to you.

I am SO stealing that.

What I also find interesting with the XPower is that it has taken acceleration as far as it needs to go. I’m not sure how many people would ever want quicker than say 0-60 in around 3.5s, not now and not ten years from now.

Back in the day, Clarkson on Top Gear was testing a new "fast" Merc ... it had a 0-60 time similar to the basic MG4 time yet he called that "face meltingly fast" (or something like that). Just shows how perceptions change. :)

I see Porsche just announced the spec on the new Macan, you need to spend more than £90,000 to be faster than an XPower, or you can spend £70,000 and be embarrassed at the lights.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 16.11.11.png

What I also find interesting with the XPower is that it has taken acceleration as far as it needs to go. I’m not sure how many people would ever want quicker than say 0-60 in around 3.5s, not now and not ten years from now.
Totally agree for UK road use.

If you watch all the drag races the Xpower demolishes nearly everything up to the legal limit of 70mph.

Only at speeds above this do the M2’s etc start to edge it back, but you’re getting into license losing territory then.

And as Mat Watson said that acceleration in the Xpower is INSTANT every time and never gets boring (his words) 🤣🤣

Im having trouble finding any proper warm weather range tests at 60mph, lots of 100 km/h (60mph) limits here in Australia. Plus if I'm on long distance I chill out. My guess is 3mi/kWh ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m averaging around 21kWh/100km generally driving poorly, mostly in 100 kph areas. So can comfortably do 200km+ road trips. But 300km+ road trips generally require putting it into eco mode and driving a bit carefully, or, a top up charge along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, i suspected around that usage. Shame eco mode does high regen, unless your in town regen has show on the highway to use more from the speed up speed down etc, cruise probably negates this. I suspect under front lip wheel aero guards, EV tyres and good inflation for long trips may help, wont know until i hot a long trip, doesnt matter anyway, if having fun and driving as i want = an extra 20 min charge so be it, i mean i do 8 long drives. Year of 400km. Not a worry.

Wait a minute, those fake front brake vents are anything but aerodynamic. I wonder how much they impact efficiency

:)

Ok picked up some MG4 wheels , same offset, same radius and width. On same turenza 235/45/18, but also they have aero covers, so will do some range testing on the highway. If any difference then ill drop to 215/45/18 on super grippy good rolling resistance tyres and see.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom