MG5 12v Battery Replacement Cost?

HoriUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Evening all. Looks like this cold weather has done for our 12v battery - after a week of the infotainment playing up, today the car was totally dead.

Our neighbour kindly (especially as the AA aren't responding to homestarts today) gave us a jump, and when it came back to life I think it went though every warning it's got! Annoying, as when I looked yesterday it was reading 14.5v (now 13.7v).

Anyway, as our car is now a whopping 14 months old it looks like we'll have to cough up for a replacement - anyone know how much the dealers charge for one, or what regular battery size fits? Cheers.

12v battery.jpg

Last edited:
The battery should surely have a warranty lasting more than 14 months. If you buy a battery from a motor factors they usually come with 2-3 years no quibble. Talk to the dealer.

Upvote 0
The battery should surely have a warranty lasting more than 14 months. If you buy a battery from a motor factors they usually come with 2-3 years no quibble. Talk to the dealer.
12 months for the battery! Why I wouldn't be keen on buying another.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217-165306.png
    Screenshot_20221217-165306.png
    512.6 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0
Wow, that sucks. I would be asking for a goodwill gesture from the dealer, failing that buy from a decent motor factor to get a reasonable warranty.

Upvote 0
Wow, that sucks. I would be asking for a goodwill gesture from the dealer, failing that buy from a decent motor factor to get a reasonable warranty.
That would be the idea, but of course the battery looks like a non-standard size 🤔

Upvote 0
Evening all. Looks like this cold weather has done for our 12v battery - after a week of the infotainment playing up, today the car was totally dead.

Our neighbour kindly (especially as the AA aren't responding to homestarts today) gave us a jump, and when it came back to life I think it went though every warning it's got! Annoying, as when I looked yesterday it was reading 14.5v (now 13.7v).

Anyway, as our car is now a whopping 14 months old it looks like we'll have to cough up for a replacement - anyone know how much the dealers charge for one, or what regular battery size fits? Cheers.

View attachment 13783
Are you sure that your battery needs replacing? You can get a proper battery check at any good garage, including Halfords etc. worth having it checked before you replace it.

Upvote 0
I bought one for the hybrid Yaris a couple of months ago. It had to be an AGM and was just shy of £160 - that was the very cheapest I could find!

Upvote 0
13.7V isn't too bad if you had the fans, heated seats and lights on.
Give it a charge and see how it goes before forking out for a new one.
I use my CTek a couple of times a year to charge and condition my 12v.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
13.7V isn't too bad if you had the fans, heated seats and lights on.
Give it a charge and see how it goes before forking out for a new one.
I use my CTek a couple of times a year to charge and condition my 12v.
I’m with you I fully condition and charge twice a year in early spring and late autumn using the Ctek, never had to replace a battery since doing it, might just be lucky.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I’m with you I fully condition and charge twice a year in early spring and late autumn using the Ctek, never had to replace a battery since doing it, might just be lucky.
Same here - CTEK used !.
I would charge the battery and then ask Halfords etc carry out a drop check to see if it is totally US first !.
If the battery comes back as okay, you either have a charging problem or even a parasitic drain, somewhere on the car.
I am assuming there is nothing left on ?.
Make sure the boot light / interior light 💡 is not on !.
These checks need carrying out, before you shell out for a new battery, because the problem could return in a short time if not.
It is not unheard of for 12 volt batteries to fail prematurely.
I would also consider buying a 12 volt booster pack also, you where lucky that your neighbour had one, next time you could be miles away from home and be sitting for hours waiting for the recovery service, for something that takes 2 minutes to get you going !.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This may sound daft but if the 12v battery is charged at the same time the HV battery charged would topping up the HV battery every night keep the 12 volt in good condition. I must look at my battery volt when I charge by HV battery and not charge to see if there is any difference.

Upvote 0
My 12v battery died too in the cold weather, but seems to have been resurrected somewhat now that it's warmed up. Now I no longer trust it not to do it again though, so have bought a replacement size 75 battery from Tayna.

If you press the Start button twice without pressing the brake, the display will show the charge in the 12v battery; if you press the Start button and the brake pedal (ie Ready mode) it will show you the charging voltage (hopefully between 13v and 14v). NB it only charges the 12v battery from the HV battery when in Ready mode, so if you try to warm up the car without having started with the brake depressed, then it will drain the 12v battery, which is not ideal!

Dealer wanted £75 + VAT to order one for me (or £110 + VAT fitted).

Not sure if it needs to be continuously connected to a 12v source to preserve codes etc when ing the battery?

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom