MG5 12v Battery Replacement Cost?

HoriUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Evening all. Looks like this cold weather has done for our 12v battery - after a week of the infotainment playing up, today the car was totally dead.

Our neighbour kindly (especially as the AA aren't responding to homestarts today) gave us a jump, and when it came back to life I think it went though every warning it's got! Annoying, as when I looked yesterday it was reading 14.5v (now 13.7v).

Anyway, as our car is now a whopping 14 months old it looks like we'll have to cough up for a replacement - anyone know how much the dealers charge for one, or what regular battery size fits? Cheers.

12v battery.jpg

Last edited:
I opted to try and kill two birds, with one stone ( so to speak ).
So I bought a 12 volt battery booster jump pack that also has an inflation pump built into it !.
A really effective back up option to have in any case.

Upvote 0
Soooo. If I pump up my tires with my portable compressor that plugs into the cigarette socket, it use the power from the 12v battery ?
Everything that is run by the 12v in an ICE vehicle is run the same in an EV, e.g wipers, door mirrors, headlights etc. etc. etc. etc..

Upvote 0
Evening all. Looks like this cold weather has done for our 12v battery - after a week of the infotainment playing up, today the car was totally dead.

Our neighbour kindly (especially as the AA aren't responding to homestarts today) gave us a jump, and when it came back to life I think it went though every warning it's got! Annoying, as when I looked yesterday it was reading 14.5v (now 13.7v).

Anyway, as our car is now a whopping 14 months old it looks like we'll have to cough up for a replacement - anyone know how much the dealers charge for one, or what regular battery size fits? Cheers.

View attachment 13783
See posts #10 and #20 in this very thread.

Upvote 0
Just replaced the 12V battery (car 16 months old) with an 075 Varta from euro car parts, £85. I was seeing the message 'HV battery shut off' pretty much every time I turned the car on (single press, foot on brake) needed to turn off and turn back on to clear. Also had problems at chargers with the 'HV battery shut off' message appearing, then not able to charge. I could get the charger to work again by unplugging the charge cable, turning car on (with brake pedal pushed),then allowing a minute or 2 to allow the 12V battery voltage to rise. Would eventually get to about 14.0V. Then turn car off, quickly plug the charge cable back in and it would work. The new battery gets to 14.7-14.8V with the lights off. The old battery would only get to 14.2V max. and would sometimes take about 15mins or more too get there. The new battery gets to 14.7V within seconds. Suggests old battery had partial shorting across the plates, hence not holding charge. The 'HV battery shut off' is obviously very sensitive to a bit of voltage drop. The Varta battery is 60Ah. (original is 55Ah) I did consider the Yuasa HSB013 from Halfords £94. It's 65Ah, same width & length but 15mm taller. Looks like it would just about fit under cover. Hopefully a bit more capacity will last a bit longer. I did talk to an MG dealer about this problem but it was clear they didn't have a clue. Save your breath and just swap it out. Takes about 10mins.

Upvote 0
That’s very interesting well done on your problem solving, from what you done it seems to be if the 12v battery is dropping by less then a volt it bring up the HV shut off, hope someone who has the same problem try the same to solve it.
This could be worth sending to MG and suggest that the software could be charged to take this drop in account.

Upvote 0
Just replaced the 12V battery (car 16 months old) with an 075 Varta from euro car parts, £85. I was seeing the message 'HV battery shut off' pretty much every time I turned the car on (single press, foot on brake) needed to turn off and turn back on to clear. Also had problems at chargers with the 'HV battery shut off' message appearing, then not able to charge. I could get the charger to work again by unplugging the charge cable, turning car on (with brake pedal pushed),then allowing a minute or 2 to allow the 12V battery voltage to rise. Would eventually get to about 14.0V. Then turn car off, quickly plug the charge cable back in and it would work. The new battery gets to 14.7-14.8V with the lights off. The old battery would only get to 14.2V max. and would sometimes take about 15mins or more too get there. The new battery gets to 14.7V within seconds. Suggests old battery had partial shorting across the plates, hence not holding charge. The 'HV battery shut off' is obviously very sensitive to a bit of voltage drop. The Varta battery is 60Ah. (original is 55Ah) I did consider the Yuasa HSB013 from Halfords £94. It's 65Ah, same width & length but 15mm taller. Looks like it would just about fit under cover. Hopefully a bit more capacity will last a bit longer. I did talk to an MG dealer about this problem but it was clear they didn't have a clue. Save your breath and just swap it out. Takes about 10mins.
Has it fixed your problem ? you didn't say.

Upvote 1
Has it fixed your problem ? you didn't say.
Yes, I believe it has. I haven't seen the 'HV batt shut-off' message since I replaced the batt. It's only been a few days however. The issue was intermittent but was getting more frequent in the last few months. Was occurring maybe 4 out of 5 times when turning on. No doubt the temperature also affected it.

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe it has. I haven't seen the 'HV batt shut-off' message since I replaced the batt. It's only been a few days however. The issue was intermittent but was getting more frequent in the last few months. Was occurring maybe 4 out of 5 times when turning on. No doubt the temperature also affected it.
Please post back in a few weeks time if the problem has gone away.

Upvote 0
Please post back in a few weeks time if the problem has gone away.
This is a 1 week update after fitting new 12V battery. Not seen the 'HV battery shut off' message at all. Made about a dozen small trips and 1 large one. Charged (7kW) every day and used rapid chargers twice. No probs at all. The dash is showing 14.3V all the time, which it gets to within seconds. It was going up to 14.8V for first 2 days (lights off). I'm 99% sure the problem is fixed.

I measured the old 12V batt with a dvm when I removed it and have kept it indoors since. It measured 12.7V, and still does. I think the battery has deteriorated just enough to allow a small volt drop that's big enough to flag a fault. Suspect if I took to Halfords for a test, they would say it's ok. My guess is it's around 80-90%. Fine for another 4 or 5 years in an ice car but not these new hi tech cars. Progress I suppose. I did expect some niggles, being a new car. The fuel savings are still outweighing the problems however by a good margin, even if it means a new 12V battery every year.

Upvote 0
This is a 1 week update after fitting new 12V battery. Not seen the 'HV battery shut off' message at all. Made about a dozen small trips and 1 large one. Charged (7kW) every day and used rapid chargers twice. No probs at all. The dash is showing 14.3V all the time, which it gets to within seconds. It was going up to 14.8V for first 2 days (lights off). I'm 99% sure the problem is fixed.

I measured the old 12V batt with a dvm when I removed it and have kept it indoors since. It measured 12.7V, and still does. I think the battery has deteriorated just enough to allow a small volt drop that's big enough to flag a fault. Suspect if I took to Halfords for a test, they would say it's ok. My guess is it's around 80-90%. Fine for another 4 or 5 years in an ice car but not these new hi tech cars. Progress I suppose. I did expect some niggles, being a new car. The fuel savings are still outweighing the problems however by a good margin, even if it means a new 12V battery every year.
Thanks for keeping us up to date 👍.
It sounds like you have sorted it ✅.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

could have a better battery than came with the car, time will tell.

Upvote 0
With chip shortages and production delays, we truly don't know the state of the original battery when the vehicle was delivered, there's clearly evidence some peoples brand new cars had duff batteries from the outset due to sitting around dockside for months.

Given we don't need cold cranking Amps, I do wonder if a leisure battery would not be better suited.

Upvote 0

View attachment 13783
Why buy it from a dealer ,just make sure u get the correct amp/hr battery and say nowt

Upvote 0
You need to make sure it's the same physical size and at least the same capacity.
I'd also add that the terminals need to be in the same configuration as the original as this is not standardised.

Upvote 0
I opted to try and kill two birds, with one stone ( so to speak ).
So I bought a 12 volt battery booster jump pack that also has an inflation pump built into it !.
A really effective back up option to have in any case.
Hi Jeff can we have the make and model of this sounds useful plus a picture if possible I have seen many boosters pack but not one with a pump, only the great big starter jobs which weight a ton.
Thanks
Les

Upvote 0
Hi Jeff can we have the make and model of this sounds useful plus a picture if possible I have seen many boosters pack but not one with a pump, only the great big starter jobs which weight a ton.
Thanks
Les
No problem Les !.
The Halo Bolt is a American favourite and IS available from Amazon in the UK.
However, because it is popular with our friends in the USA it therefore offered on the QVC shopping channel !.
QVC in the UK has connected to the sister channel in the USA and it is available sort term through the UK arm of QVC at a MUCH cheaper price than Amazon.
On Amazon the price is £157.00 compared with QVC UK price at £120.00 + P&P.
I will include a link Les.
If you join, you will get a £5.00 discount on your first order that should almost cover your postage.

Upvote 0
No problem Les !.
The Halo Bolt is a American favourite and IS available from Amazon in the UK.
However, because it is popular with our friends in the USA it therefore offered on the QVC shopping channel !.
QVC in the UK has connected to the sister channel in the USA and it is available sort term through the UK arm of QVC at a MUCH cheaper price than Amazon.
On Amazon the price is £157.00 compared with QVC UK price at £120.00 + P&P.
I will include a link Les.
If you join, you will get a £5.00 discount on your first order that should almost cover your postage.

Thanks Jeff, yeh now I have seen this on QVC in fact we are often buying from them had loads of stuff over the years from them in fact one of our regular trips is to their shop in Warrington about 10 miles away.
Thank you again
Les

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff, yeh now I have seen this on QVC in fact we are often buying from them had loads of stuff over the years from them in fact one of our regular trips is to their shop in Warrington about 10 miles away.
Thank you again
Les
Your welcome, where is the shop located in Warrington please Les ?.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom