MG5 - Charging whilst unlocked

Nick W

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm thinking about getting a MG5 but it not charging whilst unlocked (as the manual says it won't) sounds a bit of a pain. I've seen posts about the ZS saying that it would always rapid charge when unlocked and following a software update it will charge on AC whilst unlocked too. Can anyone tell me how the MG5 is set up?
Many thanks 😀

I thought that but was corrected.

I was at a PodPoint 7kw AC charger yesterday with the MG5 in ready mode, car unlocked and it charged without issue. It did seam to take a few more seconds to start.

I was sat there with the heating on, listening to the radio and watching the battery percentage slowly creep up.

I was also able to stop the car get out and lock the doors and it didn't stop charging.

there is a video that recently popped up on YT where he is charging unlocked, I asked the question and he kindly replied that yes charging unlocked is possible.

I was at a PodPoint 7kw AC charger yesterday with the MG5 in ready mode, car unlocked and it charged without issue. It did seam to take a few more seconds to start.

I was sat there with the heating on, listening to the radio and watching the battery percentage slowly creep up.

I was also able to stop the car get out and lock the doors and it didn't stop charging.
Thank you - it did seem odd that there was a display showing the charge taking place, if the car had to be locked so you would never see that display!

Thank you - it did seem odd that there was a display showing the charge taking place, if the car had to be locked so you would never see that display!
The display stays on for a few seconds when you start charging. The screen will also come on again if you open the boot.

If someone presses the open button on the drivers door without the key, it is supposed to also show the charge screen for a few seconds.

How do you end the charge? From the manual, unlocking the car ended the charge and unlocked the socket but if charging keeps going, is there a separate way of finishing?

How do you end the charge? From the manual, unlocking the car ended the charge and unlocked the socket but if charging keeps going, is there a separate way of finishing?
You press the unlock button on the inside of the drivers door.

While we're on the subject of charging, I know the badge on the front of the ZS EV has a pulsing light while charging, which stays on after the charge is completed. My 5 doesn't do that....is it supposed to?

While we're on the subject of charging, I know the badge on the front of the ZS EV has a pulsing light while charging, which stays on after the charge is completed. My 5 doesn't do that....is it supposed to?
No the MG5 doesn't do that. You can only check it's charging from the drivers console.

I have a feeling the manual could be worded better. I think it's trying to say charging only starts when the charging connector is locked in place.

Hi,
Having now owned the MG5 for a couple of weeks I appear to be completely confused re. charging... I have asked the dealer and MG for clarification but receive even more conflicting information. Any help here greatly appreciated :)
I read on this forum the MG5 can charge when unlocked... mine does not appear to do that. I tried this at Sainsbury Pod Point free charger (after logging in) and as soon as the car is unlocked the charger stopped. In the end, my wife sat in stoney silence locked in without the heater on. What is the procedure to resolve this or, as I suspect, how can I tell if I have the latest software? Car collected mid Jan registered 2021.
Does the MG5 allow Rotec off peak charging (mine gets fitted in a week or two). The manual states the car must be locked but I'm not getting up at 00:30 to start the charge. I tried a delayed charge on the granny charger and I think it worked, by plugging in the charger to the car, locking the car and then waiting 3 hrs before plugging the charger into the wall.
Other than that... well impressed. Not brave enough to rely on a mid journey charge yet but will do at some point.
Initial thoughts:
Head lights ok but could be better
Roof rack - what a fiasco
Black bumper - needs reflective strip
Auto brake leaves brake light on - very distracting for car behind
High beam warning picture removes speed for 3 seconds - why? Blue indication should be sufficient
Display too bright even on minimum settting
Manual is ok but useless in places

The car will start charging when unlocked but if you unlock it mid-charge it will pause charging for around 60s before restarting. Some chargers will interpret the pause as 'charge complete' and won't automatically resume unless you unplug then reconnect the cable.

Autohold is best used sparingly if, like me, you're used to putting your old manual IECV in neutral and using the handbrake. I'm in the minority but I almost always use P, which applies the parking brake, whenever I'm stopping for more than a few seconds. I find Autohold slow to release so I prefer to be in D with my foot on the brake in anticipation of the lights changing or pulling out from a junction. I've even resorted to holding the foot brake with my left foot so I can launch more rapidly on occasion.

The ridiculous way that changing various settings hijacks the display with a long animation is annoying.

I've had a few charging niggles.

I've experienced the unlocking and charging stopped for about a minute but yesterday it didn't stop when I unlocked. I think I did something different.

First try at charging, I rocked up to a pod point charger. Still in ready mode. Plugged in the charger, then plugged in the car. When I got in the car and waited a minute or so and could see from the volt/amp screen on the dash it wasn't charging. I don't know whether it's because I plug the charger in first rather than the car but it didn't start charging.

So I pressed the stop/start button, taking it out of ready mode, plugged the car in and then the charger. After a few seconds, I could see it was charging so I turned on ready mode and could see from the volt/amp screen that the car was using -14amps (charging).

I was then able to stop ready mode get out the car, lock it and go do some shopping. When I returned I unlocked the car from the door button and the charger port unlocked but it didn't seem to stop charging.

I was able to put it back in ready mode and monitor the final bit of charge.

Pettrix,

My MG5 will not start charging until the car is locked - I will have another play to see if I can replicate EWD's observations.
Clear and detailed charging instructions should be a priority... it is an EV car after all :rolleyes:

We all seem to be having different charging experiences. I'm sitting in the unlocked car at a polar/pulse CCS with the heater on and radio too. Started the charge with the car unlocked and everything switched off. Got in, charging continued without pause. Did a start without foot brake to enable radio, but it went off after a couple of minutes. So tried a full start, everything on, full dask display and radio and heater working, see pic

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_112120851.jpg
    IMG_20210203_112120851.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 246
I think the car won't start charging if you plug in while still in 'ready'. There definitely are some quirks, and it behaves differently with CCS and type; but it's pretty reliable (so far).

Wish I'd known you could have the heating and radio on when we were sitting in the cold charging at Milton Keynes Coachway last month on the way back from Heathrow to Derbyshire!

I think the car won't start charging if you plug in while still in 'ready'. There definitely are some quirks, and it behaves differently with CCS and type; but it's pretty reliable (so far).
Can I be absolutely clear on what you mean 'ready'. I thought there was only Locked, Unlocked and then Started (by pressing the button)… is this Ready?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom