MG5 - Charging whilst unlocked

Can I be absolutely clear on what you mean 'ready'. I thought there was only Locked, Unlocked and then Started (by pressing the button)… is this Ready?
Ready is when you press the Start button after pressing and holding the brake pedal. Ready to drive in other words - the HV battery is powering the vehicle. You can also just turn on various 12v systems (radio etc) by pressing the Start button without the foot brake but the car won't move far...

Ready is when you press the Start button after pressing and holding the brake pedal. Ready to drive in other words - the HV battery is powering the vehicle. You can also just turn on various 12v systems (radio etc) by pressing the Start button without the foot brake but the car won't move far...
Thanks... must have missed this in the manual (y)

Apropos the auto-hold I use it all the time.

My last three ICEs were automatic and I never put them into neutral unless I'd reached my destination so being able to take my foot of the brake at lights is a welcome feature I find.

I have just received clarification from MG UK on the charging issues as follows...

The MG5 does not support timed charging as there is no facility for the car to wake up at the prompt of a timed charge, and to charge the car, the cable should be plugged in and the car locked to begin charging. Unfortunately there is no other option at this time. [Although there was a] software change was made to MG ZS EV, there has been no notification as to if there will be a similar change to MG5 or when that would be.
This also implies the owner cannot sit in the car (charging) with the heater on, unless perhaps the car was locked... is this the case?

I am very interested in other MG5 owners who's experiences seem to contradict this.

Thanks in advance.

As I said at #17, I was able to have both the heater and radio on while I was charging this morning. The car was in ready mode. Must admit, I was surprised it could do that, although the Leaf I had before allowed it.

I also have been able to sit in the car in ready mode, heaters and radio on and charge. It ws on a slow charger though and havent tried it on CCS yet

I have just received clarification from MG UK on the charging issues as follows...
That's objectively incorrect. I frequently utilise timed charging on my Zappi, albeit with the aid of certain compatibility settings. The car can remain plugged in for an indefinite period and be woken by the Zappi either when there is surplus solar generation, when triggered by a boost event or a change of mode. It does seem to require a 'restart' which the Zappi does automatically if the car doesn't respond within 30s.

The car will indeed initiate charging when unlocked and it can be switched on while charging in order to use the heating and stereo. I do all these things frequently.

That's objectively incorrect. I frequently utilise timed charging on my Zappi, albeit with the aid of certain compatibility settings. The car can remain plugged in for an indefinite period and be woken by the Zappi either when there is surplus solar generation, when triggered by a boost event or a change of mode. It does seem to require a 'restart' which the Zappi does automatically if the car doesn't respond within 30s.

The car will indeed initiate charging when unlocked and it can be switched on while charging in order to use the heating and stereo. I do all these things frequently.
☝️ @Petriix That's as I was understanding it from everyone's posts so far. I have yet to get a wallbox, (for the miles I'm doing at the moment I could probably charge the car off the bike light dynamo I had when I was 15) but the MG statement above didn't seem to make any sense at all. Very glad to be reading real life experiences here, thanks to everyone!

Thanks everyone for the help.

MG are adamant their earlier comments are correct, but I will have another go myself. I've fallen out with their Customer Non-support Team :devilish:

If anyone is bored and PM me their contact number I will happily call and write up a proper proceedure and post that on this forum to help other new MG5 owners.

Cheers

Jon

Hi
I'm thinking about getting a MG5 but it not charging whilst unlocked (as the manual says it won't) sounds a bit of a pain. I've seen posts about the ZS saying that it would always rapid charge when unlocked and following a software update it will charge on AC whilst unlocked too. Can anyone tell me how the MG5 is set up?
Many thanks 😀
Not picked mine up yet. But at the dealers prior to our test drive the demo car was plugged into their EO charger unlocked and they said yes, not like the ZS (at the time) and we then unplugged then we re-plugged, unlocked and sat in the car and it still charged.

Not picked mine up yet. But at the dealers prior to our test drive the demo car was plugged into their EO charger unlocked and they said yes, not like the ZS (at the time) and we then unplugged then we re-plugged, unlocked and sat in the car and it still charged.
Richie, let me know how you get on. Purely from my expeience as soon as I unlock the car it stops charging. I'm trying to get MG Customer Support help provide clarification on this issue as some people can get this to work and others can't. You would think they would wish to help. Perhaps they could join this thread as a Company representative and address the issues :rolleyes:

Richie, let me know how you get on. Purely from my expeience as soon as I unlock the car it stops charging. I'm trying to get MG Customer Support help provide clarification on this issue as some people can get this to work and others can't. You would think they would wish to help. Perhaps they could join this thread as a Company representative and address the issues :rolleyes:

I observed that if you have it locked when you started charging, unlocking stops the charge. Then depending on the charger and the mood of the charging gods it may start again after a short while.

I've had far fewer issues if I started charging while the car is open. I can lock and unlock without issue.

I have a ZS and can charge unlocked. However, if the car is unlocked to be able to remove the plug I have to press unlock on the key fob. If it's locked and I press unlock it stops charging and unlocks the plug. It then re-locks the plug and starts charging again after about a minute. Hope that makes sense!

So it seems to me that when the car's 'state of play' changes then it may or may not be an issue depending on type of charger and whether locked/unlocked or unlocked/locked. Therefore best to always assume that you might need to 'force' the car to realise the change in those scenarios? Some charging points say that you sometimes need to unplug and reinitiate the charge if it stops working. I've had more than one issue with software/computer where turning on and off fixes the problem (for whatever reason) so perhaps this is a similar thing? All that said, if the car is locked overnight and you want it to start charging at a particular time then it is essential that this does work. Every time... 🤞

Formal response from MG UK:
  1. The car will not wake up. What I mean is, if you set the timer (on the external charger) for 2 hours in advance, the car will not recognise this. It won’t wake up to begin the charge 2 hours later. It will only charge instantly when connected and when you lock the car.
  2. No You must connect the cable, leave the car and lock it to begin charge. You are unable to sit in the car with the heater on whilst it is charging.
That's crystal clear then...

Formal response from MG UK:
  1. The car will not wake up. What I mean is, if you set the timer (on the external charger) for 2 hours in advance, the car will not recognise this. It won’t wake up to begin the charge 2 hours later. It will only charge instantly when connected and when you lock the car.
  2. No You must connect the cable, leave the car and lock it to begin charge. You are unable to sit in the car with the heater on whilst it is charging.
That's crystal clear then...
Wow. So they're saying that the car cannot use timed charging and therefore access cheaper tariffs?! I'm going to test this with the granny charger by plugging in (socket switched off), locking the car and then returning by stealth (without the key) and switching on the socket... If it starts charging (you can press the door button to activate the display to check without unlocking the car) then the reply above from MG is baloney...

Last edited:
Wow. So they're saying that the car cannot use timed charging and therefore access cheaper tariffs?! I'm going to test this with the granny charger by plugging in (socket switched off), locking the car and then returning by stealth (without the key) and switching on the socket... If it starts charging (you can press the door button to activate the display to check without unlocking the car) then the reply above from MG is baloney...
My MG5 charges fine on a timed charge (00:30 to 04:30) using my OpenEVSE Type 2 charger.

Update on granny test;

1. Plugged in to 13A socket (turned off)
2. Locked car
3. Left key away of car, just in case it spotted me...
4. Turned on switched socket
5. Diagnostic box went through checks and stabilised.
6. Car locked charging cable port
7. Charge started fine
8. Left it for a bit and turned off at the wall
9. Charging stopped (duh)
10. Turned on again at the wall
11. Charging re-started fine.

All as you would hope and expect. Still baffled as to the 'advice' that @Jon was given though. Must remember to unplug the charging cable before driving off... I'm assuming the dash would warn you in this eventuality anyway!

Update on granny test;

1. Plugged in to 13A socket (turned off)
2. Locked car
3. Left key away of car, just in case it spotted me...
4. Turned on switched socket
5. Diagnostic box went through checks and stabilised.
6. Car locked charging cable port
7. Charge started fine
8. Left it for a bit and turned off at the wall
9. Charging stopped (duh)
10. Turned on again at the wall
11. Charging re-started fine.

All as you would hope and expect. Still baffled as to the 'advice' that @Jon was given though. Must remember to unplug the charging cable before driving off... I'm assuming the dash would warn you in this eventuality anyway!
Some have said it’s when the car is left for a while and goes to sleep that there can be a problem. Worth checking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom