• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 compared with the ZS EV

Richie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Been watching the ZS Ev forum and reading all the thread sometimes commenting etc. Not so much on other Manufacturers sites! I know it was cheap but my goodness its almost a lego car!
Don't get me wrong, we do have an ZS EV and are dealing with the issues as we are using only local and small mileage, but would not buy another one

I have a MG5 on order but and it is a BIG BUT I am now considering cancelling after so many threads on ZS issues such as:

1. Condensation build up.
2. Moisture pads on the dash and rear.
3. Headlamps not adequate.
4. Mileage range with Air con/heating.
5. Need of fitting sound insulation under the dash.
6 No fuse cover in footwell.
7. Roof rails not usable on MG 5 (i assume okay on the ZS for now?)
8. Mileage return in the winter.
9. Battery heater (if you have one.
10. Sat Nav updates not supported and difficult to use.
11. Charging unlocked (eventually sorted)
12 Heating/issue solutions: windows open, Sun roof a little, regen 1 maybe 3, Eco V's Norm (a mind field)

I may have missed some, but I want to hear from MG5 owners on this site in the MG5 Forum about their problems (I know there may not be many owners as yet)

Last edited:
What's an 'LS EV' and how does it relate to the MG5?

Ah, I see. I thought there was some other model made by SAIC that I hadn't heard of, but couldn't find it in Google.

The MG5 is a very different vehicle to the ZS although there are components in common. Timed charging works fine on the 5 (for example).

1 not had a problem
2 no need (as above)
3 adequate for the little night driving I do
4 as expected I like to keep warm
5 not looked but will do
6 Like most cars these days
7 Do not own a MG5
8 As No 4
9 Not required
10 Not had a problem as yet
11 Easy fix take to dealer done.
12 Heater/aircon on simple
We must be driving different cars, I think it is an excellent car for the price, I bought it because I like driving it. Savings are just a bonus.
You should go on some of the other car forums 12 is a shortlist compared to most.

1 not had a problem
2 no need (as above)
3 adequate for the little night driving I do
4 as expected I like to keep warm
5 not looked but will do
6 Like most cars these days
7 Do not own a MG5
8 As No 4
9 Not required
10 Not had a problem as yet
11 Easy fix take to dealer done.
12 Heater/aircon on simple
We must be driving different cars, I think it is an excellent car for the price, I bought it because I like driving it. Savings are just a bonus.
You should go on some of the other car forums 12 is a shortlist compared to most.
Just showing the issues raised on this forum. I have been watching others quite easily, except the Tesla owner sites of which I only found one or two that you didn't have to input in your VIN number to join (bit of closed shop that one).

Basically trying to see if the MG5 EV has the same or similar issues here in the UK as the listed are on the ZS forum, As I've stated we do have a ZS EV and are managing well so far. At the moment I think not, but then the population of MG5's is not as large as the ZS EV.

Please tell me which forums have a longer list?

Last edited:
Just showing the issues raised on this forum. I have been watching others quite easily, except the Tesla owner sites of which I only found one or two that you didn't have to input in your VIN number to join (bit of closed shop that one).

Hi I agree with you Richie they is loads of stuff on this site and speakEV as well, that is very off putting to someone looking at buying an MG and one other to add to your list being the total lack of communication skills that MG apparently have they are useless in this area with I believe there dealers never mind the customers very poor indeed really getting on my wick

Basically trying to see if the MG5 EV has the same or similar issues here in the UK as the listed are on the ZS forum, As I've stated we do have a ZS EV and are managing well so far. At the moment I think not, but then the population of MG5's is not as large as the ZS EV.

never counted the number of issues on another forum but don't buy a Range rover or a Citroen the issues are endless

never counted the number of issues on another forum but don't buy a Range rover or a Citroen the issues are endless
Baz
You said a longer list, where is it?
Re Land Rover, I had one Freelander, three Evoque's and one Discovery (plus other makes) over the last 10 years and the only one time issue was an Add Blue injector failed on an Evoque that was replaced within a week I had the vehicle picked up at home, fuel topped up on return, a full valet and courtesy Range Rover delivered.
As I have said before you get what you pay for and don't expect more, But do expect the thing to be fit for purpose and merchantable quality. From the the quote below see "price paid" so there you have it, price paid arguably as it say if relevant.
"Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances,"

If I was displeased with a car that I owned and would not buy another one, it’s unlikely that I would look at the same manufacturer for a car with many commonly used parts and the same dealership infrastructure. I’m not sure what a ‘lego car‘ is. It’s easy to go on forums and list all the issues that come up - forums by their very nature contain this sort of stuff. I’m on the Tesla owner forums and they’re no different. 🙂

If I was displeased with a car that I owned and would not buy another one, it’s unlikely that I would look at the same manufacturer for a car with many commonly used parts and the same dealership infrastructure. I’m not sure what a ‘lego car‘ is. It’s easy to go on forums and list all the issues that come up - forums by their very nature contain this sort of stuff. I’m on the Tesla owner forums and they’re no different. 🙂
Not sure how to answer that to a single minded view. There are some people just buy cars for the kudos and protect their choice by any means to save face, use any reasoning as to why they bought it. To buy one model from a manufacturer and then to negate any future models just because they are the same manufacture is ludicrous and very single minded.
Do you have you a Tesla and an MG on the drive if so that says something, unless of course the Tesla is a company car then its just opportunism and one-upmanship.
Really difficult to understand where your comments are going.

I have had a few duff cars in 50 years motoring, and I have never bought another of the same marque after the experience. There are so many manufacturers out there that there is no need to revisit a marque which gave a bad experience.

I have had a few duff cars in 50 years motoring, and I have never bought another of the same marque after the experience. There are so many manufacturers out there that there is no need to revisit a marque which gave a bad experience.
In 50 years I would have run out years ago ;)
So If you had a Maxi you would never have gone for an MG or a Rover, Austin and no Morris all BMC or Leyland at some point.
Ford but no rebadge Mazda the list goes on.....

Last edited:
I had an Austin 1800 and it was a fabulous car. Comfortable and reliable. Never had an MG or a Rover though.

I had a Rover 414 and a Rover 420 and both were actually very good cars at the time, they never caused me any problems, drove well and were comfortable.

We have all had bad cars I'm sure. An interesting thing thing though, people are knocking the MG for being Chinese, but are raving about the Polestar, which is Chinese, Chinese owned, Chinese built and imported from China. The difference is the are using the Volvo heritage to sell the car, which lets face it has a slightly better reputation than MG and it costs slightly more then the 5 or ZS but it is still Chinese.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom