MG5 Excite LR (pre FL) to MG4 SE LR - worth the trade up?

Tommy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I do love my MG5 (drive, range, features) but it is one ugly car :(
Seen a few MG4 in the flesh now and it is one hot car :love:
Could I justify the £10k to trade up, for a few extra miles of range, a better (but slower?) drive and a bit more tech (App).
Tell me I'm mad for even considering it :oops:

Slower? I doubt that the MG4 is slower than the MG5 in any meaningful sense ... it's rear wheel drive for a start. :)

Anyway:

youre-bonkers.gif

Last edited:
MG5 - 0 to 62mph in 7.7 seconds
MG4 SE - 0 to 62mph in 7.5 seconds
MG4 LR/Trophy - 0 to 62mph in 7.7 seconds
MG4 ER - 0 to 62mph in 6.5 seconds
MG4 XPower - 0 to WTF in 3.8 seconds

Test drive to be sure then 🙂

Last edited:
Could I justify the £10k to trade up, for a few extra miles of range, a better (but slower?) drive and a bit more tech (App).
+10k is a lot of cash - i doubt its worth it

Yeah, wasn't 100% sure about that but all the 0-60 figures say it's slower, on paper ... 7.9s in the 4 v 7.5s in the 5 :unsure:
Don't Waste £10K , I have never regretted buying My MG 5 LR Exclusive. It's more reliable and has had less faults . Only the common fault with most EVs the 12v Battery. Since having it I've had loads of people enquiring about the MG 5. Three of them had MG 4s . There Stating how smaller it is, disappointed with Battery milage. Plus software problems. Wait a year or so longer you may find a more worthy EV then .

Slower? I doubt that the MG4 is slower than the MG5 in any meaningful sense ... it's rear wheel drive for a start. :)

SWMBO's MG5 (SR) is definitely more responsive than my MG4, I have to put her 5 in ECO to make it smoother.

I wouldn't trade up from the 5 even the SR one. IMO SWMBO's early MG5 SR is a more comfortable, more reliable car and everything works as it should, no software glitches, no annoying rattles, Winter range is only a bit less than Summer and the heater is fantastic. This is the reason we traded my old 2020 ZS in rather than the 5.

SWMBO's MG5 (SR) is definitely more responsive than my MG4, I have to put her 5 in ECO to make it smoother.
That may well be because the MG5 is FWD and so will scrabble for grip, giving a different response feeling (because weight transfers to the rear) so you're getting a pull feel rather than the push feel from the MG4.

That may well be because the MG5 is FWD and so will scrabble for grip, giving a different response feeling (because weight transfers to the rear) so you're getting a pull feel rather than the push feel from the MG4.
Give over :LOL:
I've been driving for 50 years RWD and FWD and never heard that one.

So you don't believe there's a weight transfer from front to rear during launch/acceleration, so front wheels have less weight on them and rear wheels have more weight on them?

Oooookaaaaayyyyy 👀

So you don't believe there's a weight transfer from front to rear during launch/acceleration, so front wheels have less weight on them and rear wheels have more weight on them?

Oooookaaaaayyyyy 👀
No not that, I don't believe there's a difference in feel between FWD and RWD of the same power on takeoff.
Neither my 4 nor SWMBO's 5 "scrabble" for grip on takeoff and surely if that theory were true it would make my 4 feel nippier if the 5 was losing grip.

See this MG5 report he has quite a few MG 5's .
Don't Waste £10K , I have never regretted buying My MG 5 LR Exclusive. It's more reliable and has had less faults . Only the common fault with most EVs the 12v Battery. Since having it I've had loads of people enquiring about the MG 5. Three of them had MG 4s . There Stating how smaller it is, disappointed with Battery milage. Plus software problems. Wait a year or so longer you may find a more worthy EV then .
See this about Company who bought a load of MG 5's

Keep the MG 5 and wait a few years
Put the £10k in a cash isa @ 5+% and wait a few years to see what new developments appear
At Present MG5s are at a lower market value than they should be (they are not that ugly?)
With good tyres the front wheel drive works well and was quite good in last years snow.
The estates suits me because of the dogs

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel