MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

It would only be considered non-urgent if you avoided using KERS3 and that was the advice they gave in anticipation of the update being done. They can't claim it's unimportant and neglect the mitigating advice at the same time.

Technically the car pre this mod was noncompliant and in the extreme potential illegal and if you choose to wait your insurance could be invalidated. " I never use KERS3" may not be a defence in law? No idea how this slipped through the type testing in the first place. The law requires brake lights to illuminate at x ? G braking deceleration the figures are on other threads.

No idea how this slipped through the type testing in the first place.

My understanding is that it didn't. The kers3 brakelight illumination issue wasn't present in early vehicles. The issue appears to have been introduced in a software update post type approval and has now been resolved through recall and a further software update.

As an active recall, dealers should be applying it during PDI, seems there's some out there, particularly leasing companies that are just skipping the PDI altogether.

Hello Keith

If you though the rear screen might be the aerial why did you need to ask them? You weren't trying to catch them out by any chance?

I don't think that mine has had the KERS update either yet am pleased to report that no one has rear ended me yet. Early days yet though. I have been rear ended twice in previous cars when the brake lights came on though.

There is, of course, a recall and you should ask your dealer to check the recall database.

I do think it's a bit much to expect them to know everything about every car at the drop of a hat but it does seem that some are ,pore aware than others. Did you speak to sales or the tech people?
I found about the KERS issue from this forum after I had booked the car into the dealer to look at the rear window 'fault' and another problem. I informed them that it might be the aerial as no one at the dealer had mentioned it and they said they would find out. When I took the car in 2 weeks later no one had bothered to find out for sure. They have just confirmed my car had not had the KERS update applied during the PDI on Dec 20th even though MG have been aware of it for longer.

From the letter I got from MG it was a serious issue as it said don't use kers3 untill the update had been done

From the letter I got from MG it was a serious issue as it said don't use kers3 untill the update had been done
Was the letter from MG UK or from the dealer you got the car from? My dealer doesn't consider it a serious issue as they haven't been recalled through the DVSA so they are updating each car as and when they come in for other issues or servicing. Not sure quite what they would consider to be a serious issue if this isn't.

I must have a ride in someone else's MG5 in KERS3. I use KERS3 all the time in mine and it really doesn't brake hard.

I asked my dealer if it had been done when I collected the car and he assured me that it had. But then I subsequently discovered that it hadn’t happened. My dealer said it was down as having been done pre shipping- I have no reason to doubt them as they have been absolutely fantastic in terms of accuracy of arrival date, the brilliant presentation of the car and the rear Jaguar number plates installed.

I must have a ride in someone else's MG5 in KERS3. I use KERS3 all the time in mine and it really doesn't brake hard.
my SR has had update and I don’t consider braking effect to be severe, it does slow down but not to the extent where an alert driver behind me would need to brake hard. Someone travelling too close might get a shock but now brake lights come on I can’t really see any problem.

The braking effect is the same as pre update on my SR.
Obviously is won't go into kers3 until under 95-97% and the lower the % the better it is.

You can check your own car here
That says "We don't hold information about manufacturer's safety recalls for MG MG 5 EXCLUSIVE EV RE71EKK. To find out if your vehicle has any outstanding safety recalls, contact a MG dealership"

The brake light never goes on unless I press the brake pedal or the ACC cuts in sharpish in one way or another. Never on a normal lift off.

But then the car never slows that abruptly on a normal lift off in K3. It doesn't feel like it needs the brake light. Sounds like sido and I have different cars :)

Try measuring your actual deceleration using a dashcam or app on your mobile.
"What you feel" isn't a datum anyone else can compare with.

I stuck an app on my phone and mostly over moderate speeds (up to about 60, dropping back to 20 on KERS alone, no braking) deceleration generally peaked about 1.5, sometimes went a little over 2 and I did see it at 3.4 once for a really brief period. (I suspect the app had a "moment" as the car didn't feel like it did!).

The car was about 88% charged, I will try it again when it is lower (but I've never noticed it feel much different).

So anyway it seems my KERS isn't as effective as most.

Last edited:
It's a safety recall anyone can ignore or argue it's not needed. Have an accident due to it and it gives the idiot running into the back of you the ability to argue it's your fault, if you've had a letter or you car is on the list as being notified you have no come back as it should have been done.

I can't find the orig thread in which someone had posted the actual regulation in about what force braking was required to trigger the stop lights, not can I find he regulation online. Can anyone help please? My recollection was that it was 3g but maybe wrong.

If it is, my car goes nowhere near that on regen braking under KERS3 according to an app I ran, as suggested. I don't understand why but there you go. Once I have some facts I'll look into it a bit more.

I
found the thread I was looking for, it's here and the required figure is apparently 1.3m/s² so I'll need to measure again using a different setting.

Last edited:
I can't find the orig thread in which someone had posted the actual regulation in about what force braking was required to trigger the stop lights, not can I find he regulation online. Can anyone help please? My recollection was that it was 3g but maybe wrong.

If it is, my car goes nowhere near that on regen braking under KERS3 according to an app I ran, as suggested. I don't understand why but there you go. Once I have some facts I'll look into it a bit more.

I
found the thread I was looking for, it's here and the required figure is apparently 1.3m/s² so I'll need to measure again using a different setting.
To be honest it's a safety recall you could argue till the cows come home, but safety recall over rules any individual factors with individual cars. Just have it fixed everyone only takes 45 minutes.

That says "We don't hold information about manufacturer's safety recalls for MG MG 5 EXCLUSIVE EV RE71EKK. To find out if your vehicle has any outstanding safety recalls, contact a MG dealership"

If you clicked on the link from @Dt99idr post above you would find this. It is for the model as a whole.

1645952517435.png

The dealer said when I picked the car up that it had been done, as the car was delivered about the time the update went out to dealers so it may well have been done as part of the PDI. As I've never seen it in operation I can't be sure.

Just for the record, I'm not arguing the validity of it, I'm just making the point that in my experience the regen braking is never any more severe than engine braking on an ICE car. YMMV.

I will contact the dealer for confirmation that it's been done. TBH I'm more concerned that my KERS isn't working properly :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom