MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

Yes

My comment re KERS not working properly was meant to be t-i-c. The needle goes to the right area on the dash, more so on a higher level of KERS (and as well I can feel more braking)

The dealer said when I picked the car up that it had been done, as the car was delivered about the time the update went out to dealers so it may well have been done as part of the PDI. As I've never seen it in operation I can't be sure.

Just for the record, I'm not arguing the validity of it, I'm just making the point that in my experience the regen braking is never any more severe than engine braking on an ICE car. YMMV.

I will contact the dealer for confirmation that it's been done. TBH I'm more concerned that my KERS isn't working properly :)
Sensible approach.

I'm just making the point that in my experience the regen braking is never any more severe than engine braking on an ICE car.
If that's the case your KERS setup is definitely broken. KERS3 is very noticeably different to engine braking on an ICE car.

I don't doubt you but it wasn't that different to engine braking on my previous PHEV either. That's why I really could do with taking a ride in someone else's MG5.

I'd happily accommodate you but you live about 100 miles away!

Alternatively, you could also get a test drive at a dealer?

That's true. Had a three hour one before I bought but I wasn't too "aware" then and, being on someone else's tyres, I didn't bother too much with ECO modes and KERS3 :)

The dealer said when I picked the car up that it had been done, as the car was delivered about the time the update went out to dealers so it may well have been done as part of the PDI. As I've never seen it in operation I can't be sure.

Just for the record, I'm not arguing the validity of it, I'm just making the point that in my experience the regen braking is never any more severe than engine braking on an ICE car. YMMV.

I will contact the dealer for confirmation that it's been done. TBH I'm more concerned that my KERS isn't working properly :)
Hi Smokie,
I think you KERS 3 isn’t working properly as on mine you definitely feel a braking sensation and it would bring me to as close to a stop without stopping if I didn’t accelerate. Even downhill it feels like brakes on.
Hope you manage to get sorted.
sido

Well so would mine bring the car virtually to a stop, but gently and progressively rather than the scary abruptness I get the impression that others experience. I've never had the feeling that another car might not notice me slowing (if they were concentrating of course!).

But MG must agree with everyone else to have issued the recall so I'm not disputing that's how it can be. It just isn't for me.

I rarely use the brakes around town as a result of KERS and reading the road ahead/forward planning/anticipation or whatever. Having been an EV driver for some time I suppose I'm more used to it that others, but I'll do a comparison anyway sometime just for peace of mind :)

Kers 3 will not stop the car, the kers breaking is not harsh and it's easy to get used to even the 95-100% battery charge change to kers is not an issue. During the day recently I have been using the company BMW id3 this car will work with one foot driving so no need to use the break, it takes some getting used to judging stopping distance and the regen kers is not adjustable so not as drivable as the MG in my opinion. However each to their own.

Well so would mine bring the car virtually to a stop, but gently and progressively rather than the scary abruptness I get the impression that others experience.
I'm not sure if anyone ever described KERS3 in that way, and if they did, they would be incorrect. It isn't abrupt and it isn't scary, but it does give a level of deceleration you could only achieve in an ICE car by using the brakes.

I'd never used Kers 3 until I had the update done, after which I used it to check the lights coming on at night. I must admit I was expecting it to be more severe than it seems to be. It's a bit more than Kers 2 but not greatly so on my car. Whether the update impacted it I don't know, as I'd never used it previously!

The impression I'd gained much earlier in the discussion (in other threads too) was that people thought there was a real possibility of being rear ended because the braking was somewhat sharp, at least as sharp as fairly significant foot braking.

I've never had that concern, nor did I on my previous car, when using KERS braking alone.

Of course KERS reduces my speed, and I can feel the effect on a downhill, and if I was using KERS3 on the flat with no further input from me it would eventually virtually stop the car. But I still never have any feeling that it is much different from regular engine braking.

People upthread who have had the update done report that they get a friend to follow them who confirms the brake lights come on.

If my mod has been done, I've yet to see the brake lights come on under KERS only.

I now have an arrangement to meet another MG5 driver where we can compare cars and experience.

I think it may be worth getting the KERS checked. Mine is definitely a lot more severe than engine braking was on my Hyundai diesel. I can come to almost a complete stop from 30 on the run up to a red light even in KERS 2. Obviously I slow down over a longer distance than if I was braking, but it doesn’t seem massively longer to me.

I think sever is a strange description for kers I would say is more than gentle but not sever as hard braking. I can see my brake lights come on in kers3 at night it reflects on the rear wiper blade. But not for the total time when slowing down just in the middle part of kers braking so you won't see the lights all the time.

Where I have noticed KERS 3 causing a problem for other road users is when I overtake a truck on the motorway I might speed up to 70 and then I want to return back to the inside lane. Often cars are right behind you when overtaking like this as they are travelling faster, albeit they shouldn’t be, I simply lift my foot car decelerates as I move into inside lane and the car which was behind goes by with a”what is going on “ look from the driver.

”what is going on “ look from the driver.

Not surprising really, I wouldn't expect someone to decelerate in front of me in those circumstances, KERS or not!! :) You should really maintain your speed in the lane in which you are travelling and not decelerate until you are fully back in the other lane.

It should also be of no concern to you how fast others are driving, unless they are presenting a danger to you, in which case the sensible thing to do is get out of their way asap rather than impede them.

I can come to almost a complete stop from 30 on the run up to a red light even in KERS 2. Obviously I slow down over a longer distance than if I was braking, but it doesn’t seem massively longer to me.

Me too but I never feel like I'm about to be rear ended, as some do.

I doubt there is anything wrong with my KERS, or anyone else's for that matter. I feel maybe some are adapting to a driving style quite different from that they used with an ICE engine, which I did some years ago. But as I said earlier, I will be doing a comparison with another MG5 in the fullness of time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom