• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Motor and transmission noise

Sometimes several small stones stuck in a tyre can make some strange rumbling sounds.
Yes, had that before in most of the cars I've owned in the past. I've not heard the rumbling/grating noise over the last 150 or so miles, but there is still that slight coarse gear meshing noise at around 40-50mph when you come on/off overrun. It might just be normal front differential noise that would otherwise be drowned out in an ICE. Perhaps I should have gone to more rock concerts in the past then I would'nt have these concerns ! :). Anyway, Like Adee says, the 7 yr warranty gives peace of mind.

Yes, had that before in most of the cars I've owned in the past. I've not heard the rumbling/grating noise over the last 150 or so miles, but there is still that slight coarse gear meshing noise at around 40-50mph when you come on/off overrun. It might just be normal front differential noise that would otherwise be drowned out in an ICE. Perhaps I should have gone to more rock concerts in the past then I would'nt have these concerns ! :). Anyway, Like Adee says, the 7 yr warranty gives peace of mind.
I tend to ignore constant noises, our lass never stops talking. :LOL:

Hmmm.....Gear meshing noise getting a bit more noticeable. Dropped it in today for a check. Amazed to get identical red MG5 courtesy car!. Great for doing a comparison. The courtesy car had a higher mileage but was totally silent compared to my own. Drove on A90 and back roads. No gear meshing/diffy noise at any speeds. Bit worried now. As an engineer I know that vibration/harshness = reduced component life. I think that the reduction gear/differential unit is on the way out or out of normal spec. Waiting with baited breath to see what the service engineers say....

Let's hope they get it resolved. Definitely sounds like a real problem that needs a real solution, rather than it all being in the customer's head! Maybe they forgot to put the gear oil in it on the production line:oops:

Ha! - maybe!. The local MG dealer was great though. None of this "they all sound like that" stuff you sometimes get from the bigger nationwide dealers. That would have really worried me. So, car going in for a repair soon. All machines go awry now and again but what makes the difference is how the dealer approaches the problem. Quite confident they'll fix it. Faith in MG is now in the process of being restored.....

I'm told the car needs a new "gearbox". Presumably the reduction gear and or differential?. I first reported the noise at 450 miles ( 10 days from new ) when it was milder and maybe just a characteristic of the car. The dealer says that this is the first time they have ever come across this. Hopefully a rogue bad part / assembly problem and not a design issue. Certainly, the demo car and the courtesy ( both MG5's ) were immediately and obviously quieter with no grinding noises. Now at about 1900 miles, the noise is quite a bit more noticeable. Been told it's okay to drive in the meantime. Keeping speed to below 60 for now anyway. Anyone else with similar problems ?

I'm told the car needs a new "gearbox". Presumably the reduction gear and or differential?. I first reported the noise at 450 miles ( 10 days from new ) when it was milder and maybe just a characteristic of the car. The dealer says that this is the first time they have ever come across this. Hopefully a rogue bad part / assembly problem and not a design issue. Certainly, the demo car and the courtesy ( both MG5's ) were immediately and obviously quieter with no grinding noises. Now at about 1900 miles, the noise is quite a bit more noticeable. Been told it's okay to drive in the meantime. Keeping speed to below 60 for now anyway. Anyone else with similar problems ?
Not yet 😅😢

You've been very unlucky but this type of random failure is typical for almost any make of car.

You've been very unlucky but this type of random failure is typical for almost any make of car.
Yes, I agree. Could just as easily happen with a posh ID.4 Kona or E Tron. That's machines for you. In general the various MG forums report very few problems with any aspects of the ZS or the MG5 and they've been around for quite a while now. So I haven't got any misgivings about the MG5. Big smile on my face every time I drive it! ( bar the current problem, which will get resolved, I'm sure ). The other major brands must be getting quite twitchy when they see what SAIC/MG are putting out. I checked various MG dealership reviews before buying, any they all getting really good reviews, so I can only think MG must be doing a good job in keeping customers happy.

Hi and thank you for let the forum what the problem was and I hope your sorted very soon
Les

I'd love to see the transmission being stripped down. Wonder if there is anything out of the ordinary in the design to cope with the high input shaft speed?

Glad it turned out to be an identifiable problem and that it is now going to be fixed under warranty. As others have said, statistically there's always going to be the odd one or two major issues such as this with any brand. Yes, Joe, it would be interesting to see what's in there but I suppose we'll all have to wait for the Haynes manual to come out :)

I'd love to see the transmission being stripped down. Wonder if there is anything out of the ordinary in the design to cope with the high input shaft speed?
Indeed it would. Don't know if the reduction gearbox is combined with a differential or whether the differential is separate. If separate, it would be a pain to find the noise was from the diff rather than the reduction gear. I expect the diff parts are uprated to cope with sharper rises in torque compared to an ICE. As for the reduction gear, I expect the main challenges are extreme precision of machining and alignment to avoid vibration.

I think that Haynes manuals stopped being useful many years ago.
Still have the one I bought for my Hillman Hunter though!
I had one of those for years (car and manual). It was bulletproof, well until the engine block split due to insufficient antifreeze :) . My negligence should be less of a problem with the MG5!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom