• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Motor and transmission noise

My MG5 makes a high pitched motor/transmission whine when accelerating or slowing, especially at lower speeds. Quite a nice soothing sound actually. :) But there is a lower pitched rougher grating/rumbling sort off noise quite noticeable when going into overrun, regardless of kers setting, at about 45-50mph and generally always present around 35-40mph. you can "play" it on/off to some extent by slightly easing the accelerator accelerator but it's generally always present around 35-40mph. Is this just normal acceptable motor noise or could this be some part of the powertrain slightly out of normal spec?Don't get me wrong, this is in gerneral a lovely quiet car but I'm just a litle concerned that I didnt notice this noise aspect on the initial test drive vehicle a few weeks back. ( I've done 450mls in my MG5 so far ). Anyone else got this kind of noise going on ?
Only sound we've noticed is at below say, 8-10mph, there is an electric whine audible both inside and outside of the car. Sounds like a 'sci-fi' future movie vehicle type thing. The demo we tried sounded identical. However, the difference being to your report is that it disappears when on the move.

Only sound we've noticed is at below say, 8-10mph, there is an electric whine audible both inside and outside of the car. Sounds like a 'sci-fi' future movie vehicle type thing. The demo we tried sounded identical. However, the difference being to your report is that it disappears when on the move.
Thats the pedestrian alert warble. My grinding is around 45 to 50

Indeed it would. Don't know if the reduction gearbox is combined with a differential or whether the differential is separate. If separate, it would be a pain to find the noise was from the diff rather than the reduction gear. I expect the diff parts are uprated to cope with sharper rises in torque compared to an ICE. As for the reduction gear, I expect the main challenges are extreme precision of machining and alignment to avoid vibration. I'm no expert though. ( did change the carburretor on my

I had one of those for years (car and manual). It was bulletproof, well until the engine block split due to insufficient antifreeze :) . My negligence should be less of a problem with the MG5!
I had a Hillman Imp and a Hunter. The Hunter was quite refined. Sadly the little drive shaft that turned the points sheared and fell into the inards and that was the end of that.

@Adee have you looked in detail at the 7 year warranty? We actually aren’t covered for most of the car for more than 36 months. As I won’t have the car passed that it won’t bother me but I do think it’s misleading.

I think that Haynes manuals stopped being useful many years ago.
Still have the one I bought for my Hillman Hunter though!
Nostalgia......
nostalgia.jpg

@Adee have you looked in detail at the 7 year warranty? We actually aren’t covered for most of the car for more than 36 months. As I won’t have the car passed that it won’t bother me but I do think it’s misleading.
I think the MG 7yr warranty looks really good. One of the reasons for getting the car. I've had a good look at the T&C's and whilst the list of exclusions looks onerous, all the really expensive parts are covered. In fact, the exclusions look very similar to that of a 5yr and 7yr warranty I had on previous Hyundais and Kias. I wouldnt expect a 7yr warranty to cover suspension items like track rod ends beyond three years, but the MG warranty covers these to 45k miles which is really good. (Many other brands like cover these to only 36k or less). Especially given the state of our roads! Looks like the major things like electronics, HV battery, transmission are included within the 7yrs which is excellent.

I don't suppose most warranties are that good when you look into the small print. That's why I chose not to read it :)

I think the MG 7yr warranty looks really good. One of the reasons for getting the car. I've had a good look at the T&C's and whilst the list of exclusions looks onerous, all the really expensive parts are covered. In fact, the exclusions look very similar to that of a 5yr and 7yr warranty I had on previous Hyundais and Kias. I wouldnt expect a 7yr warranty to cover suspension items like track rod ends beyond three years, but the MG warranty covers these to 45k miles which is really good. (Many other brands like cover these to only 36k or less). Especially given the state of our roads! Looks like the major things like electronics, HV battery, transmission are included within the 7yrs which is excellent.
Hope you're right Sparky. Also hope I never have to find out :)

Seeing the manual sends shivers up my spine. I loved my Hunter (1725cc). It made a Chieftain tank seem a bit flimsy. Handbrake on the right (hand) side. 38mpg. Shame I let the engine block get cracked otherwise I'd probably still have it. Like all "classics" they are upwards of £5k now. Fair enough, but they weren't THAT good :)

I had a Minx and a Hunter at the same time. The Minx rolled so much on the bends I thought I'd scratch the door handles. Lovely column gear shift and clutch. Again built like a tank. I wonder how the Hunter and Minx would do in the Eurocap crash tests?. Despite all the weight and metal, I suspect the crumple zone included a large part of the driver and passenger.

I had a Minx and a Hunter at the same time. The Minx rolled so much on the bends I thought I'd scratch the door handles. Lovely column gear shift and clutch. Again built like a tank. I wonder how the Hunter and Minx would do in the Eurocap crash tests?. Despite all the weight and metal, I suspect the crumple zone included a large part of the driver and passenger.
Well, before I mucked up the engine on mine by forgetting the antifreeze, I got hit by a car which pulled out of a parking space in a supermarket car-park. Deep gouge right down one side of my car. In the insurance claim I got more for the car (which was written off) than I paid for it years earlier (£185 IIRC), plus I bought it back and used it for another couple of years. On a previous occasion I was taking a solid old unwanted wardrobe on the roof-rack to the local tip in Southampton. I failed to spot the height restriction in time and hit it at about 20mph. The wardrobe remained firmly fixed to the roof-rack (a surprising outcome considering my knot-tying abilities), and the roof-rack (with wardrobe securely attached) got pushed off the back of the car along the roof gutter and onto the boot. So I pressed on and because the roof-rack was badly damaged I just dumped the wardrobe and roof-rack ensemble at the tip without even untying them and went home. There wasn't a scratch on the car.
Although I loved the Hunter, I now consider that the earlier Audax range were much prettier and would dearly love an old Gazelle, Vogue, Rapier, Superminx. But I'm just not willing to part with £5k for an oily rag.

Do you remember the superb system they had for jacking the car up?

Do you remember the superb system they had for jacking the car up?
I had forgotten but was that the screw jack that fitted into a welded-in box sections? I kept that jack with the big rotating knob which made it so easy, for many years.

It was indeed.
No crawling under the car involved. I've never encountered a better system since.

Never expected to see a discussion on Routes Group cars here. My father had a Super Minx and I had a Rapier 111a cream, maroon and rust. Dash board caught fire on way the see Mott The Hoople , (lost girlfriend 1). Then it burst the inner seals while entering a flooded road at 60 drenching (lost girlfriend 2) and finally zenith carbs backfired so badly (ball bearing missing in accelerator get) pulled over by police and lost girlfriend 3. Ford Anglia however secured current wife of 41 years.

Never expected to see a discussion on Routes Group cars here. My father had a Super Minx and I had a Rapier 111a cream, maroon and rust. Dash board caught fire on way the see Mott The Hoople , (lost girlfriend 1). Then it burst the inner seals while entering a flooded road at 60 drenching (lost girlfriend 2) and finally zenith carbs backfired so badly (ball bearing missing in accelerator get) pulled over by police and lost girlfriend 3. Ford Anglia however secured current wife of 41 years.
So Rootes cars not really bird-pullers then? :)
Being honest, with a car that looks as good as the pillarless and chrome-fronted Rapier, who needs a girlfriend!!
Probably bigger rear seats than the Anglia, though?? :devilish:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom