MG5 owners only. Post on here what you think of the car.

I moved the centre read headrest and it gives you a far better view out the back. Unless you carry 3 people in the rear you dont need it anyway. I have to say I dont mind the car on kers 2 and Normal mode...it is better unless you are on a motorway or REALLY need the extra 20 miles range
Ye I removed my middle headrest too otherwise you are restricted in view.

It's also aparently more efficient cruising rather than Kers 3 so I generally leave it in KERS 2 unless I'm doing a lot of city driving. I guess the more you time your stopping in KERS 2 the better rather than holding on the accelerator for longer and allowing KERS3 to slow you down.

UPDATE UPDATE
To my post #41 in this thread and MG drive controls thread
I wrote about the drive selector switch on MGs and asked what would happen if P was to be pressed I said I would say Miles Roberts about this Which I did and
this morning I had a very good response from him hear is what he as said,

Hi Les,

I've still not had any news on the roof rail issue - I've seen your post, but I don't know if the construction method is the reasoning behind the cosmetic-only / lower weight potential limit as you have discussed.

Regarding the parking button. I have tested this at various speeds, and pressing the P button on the drive selector does nothing once the vehicle is above a snail's pace. I imagine that the limit is set to around 1mph, as pressing the button whilst rolling does nothing.

I haven't been able to swap the wheels off the ZS EV to the MG5 to test, as it's been snowing and freezing cold here for a few days. Maybe if the weather improves, I'll be able to give it a go for you.

Kind regards,

Miles.
Why that silly little handbook highlights you must not press this while moving Is beyond me if it does nothing so again it’s a thank you to Miles.

Pity the rear seat backs cant be removed to get a flat load back. Otherwise, the best car I've driven in 40 years. Having problems with SatNav and Android Auto, bu maybe kjust a software update needed.

I generally love driving the car. Like most a few gripes, but most are livable with as this is a company car and not mine.

• The infotainment unit is shockingly slow and unresponsive. If using built in nav it stops navigating if you get an incoming phone call. The head unit can only do one thing at a time.
  • I miss having a speed limiter. All my previous cars have had them, even my last Renault Zoe.
  • The headlights aren't the brightest out there but are comparable to the Zoe
  • KERS on number 3 setting is too strong in icy conditions. Lesson learn't very quickly and I dialed it back to number 1
  • Not having a timed charge setting is the thing I miss the most. I have an EV tariff with OVO but cannot take advantage of it unless I physically plug the car in at midnight. PodPoint say they are working on an updated app for this, but they said that last year too.
However, like most on this forum, this is a very good and certainly value for money. Its a cracking fun drive and can put a smile on your face.
The MG5 Does have a speed limiter as well as cruise control.

I don’t have a limiter, but mine has an indicator, after the “set” speed, which can be done using the steering wheel buttons on the right…..if exceeded a message shows “slow down” with a foot brake icon. I set mine to 100mph 😂

The 5 does not have a limiter as used in other cars like the leaf and Soul where it stops you from going faster than the set speed. Mine just pings at 73mph, just to remind me the slip roads finished 😜

I don’t have a limiter, but mine has an indicator, after the “set” speed, which can be done using the steering wheel buttons on the right…..if exceeded a message shows “slow down” with a foot brake icon. I set mine to 100mph 😂
Yeh I bet what was your MPKH stu now we know why
Les

There are two over speed warnings you can set, one from the right steering wheel button, click the right arrow to get luminence, then down arrow to get overspeed warning, use up/down arrow to set speed then enter to set. Youvalso have a really good one if you put your navigation on, an overspeed can be set and then it warns you verbally as well.

There are two over speed warnings you can set, one from the right steering wheel button, click the right arrow to get luminence, then down arrow to get overspeed warning, use up/down arrow to set speed then enter to set. Youvalso have a really good one if you put your navigation on, an overspeed can be set and then it warns you verbally as well.
Well aceselect, thank you for that information I will look at that tomorrow never used them buttons and I don’t think but it sounds interesting
Les

Hi aceselect might be a bit of confusion on this one ,you see as I understand it a Speed Limiter when switched on Prevents the vehicle from going over a set speed what you describe on the MG5 is a speed alert which can be set to warn you that you are exceeding a limit that you have set but does not stop you going over that limit
I tried it today following your instructions and then set it to 31mph (no 30 mph in menu!!)so at 32/33mph on the speedo area came an alert saying slow down with a picture of a foot brake and a red Circle with 31 inside it flashing away in the top left of the speed screen this circle stay on until my speed dropped to 28/29 mph then I went back up alert came on again as before by I just went up to 50mph a Speed limiter would not let you do that as once you reach the set speed you can’t go pass it while the limiter is switched on also as well after the car had been parked for a while you need to reactive the alert again by repressing the ok button on the right of the steering wheel but I’m sure if I’m wrong about all this someone on hear will tell me
It’s one of the downside of the MG5 that it does not retain settings like drive and regen level also the trip for the currant journey that you are on if you stop for only a short while you need to reset everything drives me mad especially the currant journey one and this speed alert appears the same as well needs to be reset car should come with a check sheet with tick boxes for you to go through each time you have had it switched off for only a short while grrrrrr lol
Les

Last edited:
One particular aspect of the Mg5 I like is the ride comfort, perhaps owing in some degree to those old fashioned deep profile tyres. Tip : when I picked up my car brand new, the tyre pressure was way up at 2.9 bar. Ride comfort and road noise was okay. After a few days, I reduced pressures to 2.2 bar in accordance with the user manual. What a difference!. Much less road noise and no harm at all to handling or economy. ( Manual says 2.2 bar front and rear , cold ).

Well I have gone from Jaguar XF Sportbrake to the MG5. No it dies not have all the nice bits you get in a Jaguar but I have to say the built in Sat Nav is better than the Jaguar's, it maybe slow to start up but it works well once you and running. Android auto is an easy option I dis not have on the Jaguar! Would have been nice to have roof bars I could use, but it was not a deal breaker. Love the car and manage to charge it from my solar panels via my Zappi 2 charger.

Seems pretty good. The roof rails have gone from 50kg to 0kg mow back up to 35kg, 35 kg is plenty of weight on the roof.
Handles a bit like a barge but I don't care because I don't need to out run the borg, as a man once said.
Range is great at this price point, you can't have everything and still pay nothing.
The pcp on this exclusive costs me less per month than I was spending on petrol on a 1.8tsi
Why is the ground clearance so high? Does anyone know?
And 225 55 16 tyres should stop the wheels slipping quite so much.
Haven't driven at night yet so not sure if headlights are as bad as all that.

Definitely, the best choice if your budget is around 20k-25k. However, the truth is the competition is far more not enough in the UK market. That is why the MG5 looks better.

If you look at the price of Tesla 3 and Tesla Y (even not released in the UK), ID3, ID4 in China, you will found out that the retail price is quite similar to the Mg5 price in the UK. If it happened in the UK, the MG5 price would come to the range of 15-17K which is the current Rowe EI5 retail price in China.

I concur with most of the comments in this thread, especially on the roof bar fiasco.

A few other irritations that I have with the car:
1. The door handle sometimes gets stuck in the open position, stopping the door from closing properly.
2. The faux leather is more like real plastic.
3. The general quality of materials is low.
4. Why put a nice LCD screen in the dashboard and not put the most important information in it, i.e. the SATNAV direction information (there seems to be little or no communication between the two systems).
5. The motorway 120KW CCS charger wouldn't recognise the car, there was no 50KW version.
6. Really annoyed that I asked the MG dealer if there was any prospect of a longer range model or a model with MG Pilot. He told me there was nothing until the new MG5 model in 2022. I would have waited for the new model, but I am now tied to this one for another 2½years.

Not had the car 2 months yet but it has far exceeded our expectations; it's just so darn practical, which is what we want from a car, and so comfortable, easy and relaxing to drive. A major bonus is how quiet it is on the road. As I work from home charging has been entirely from solar PV so far despite rather dull weather, 600 miles of free fuel! Best car we have ever owned in 45 years of motoring.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom