• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 owners only. Post on here what you think of the car.

Hah - I have the opposite problem. Not used to an auto. Now I've got my head around no clutch and not changing gears, I keep trying to set off from home then realising I haven't put it in drive yet...

Loving it so far though. Big test comes in October when it goes on a camping trip. 171 miles to site loaded to the hilt and with a roofbox on top. Hoping to make it in one go, but with spots in Gretna or Dumfries identified in case I need a top up en route.

I have also removed the big foam insert. all the stuff that was in there actually fits perfectly in a bag in the netted pocket on the left of the boot of the LR. That'll help with the packing - sleeping bags might be going under there instead! Plus, if I need the puncture kit, I don't want to have to unload everything to get to it!
I've come from a Ford Powershift so I keep wanting to move the gearstick for drive and reverse!

I've got a 280 mile Glasgow -> North Wales trip in October too, dog cage needs built for the boot and old roof bars from Grand CMax checked for fit or the 510 litre roof box might be a problem. I've planned two stops but might only need one - but going to need a toilet break ever hundred miles or so anyway.

Faultless apart from the infotainment screen going blank.
It happened once whilst in the nav screen, nearly at work so left it until i finished work and it was fine.

This morning it happened while on the main screen and it came back on after a few minutes, radio kept playing all the time no problem.

Nav screen worked fine but the heater on screen displays never moved to the correct details- ie- turned up the heater temp never moved from LO or the fan speed.
I turned the heater up full and it did indeed blow warm air out.
Soon see if it works after i finish work.
Infotainment and heater display working fine after work.

It must not like early mornings 😴

Limited miles so far, but it’s been great. Kids love it and have loads of space. Boot is big enough, although at some point I plan to put in a false floor to store my running gear underneath and give a flatter load for the day to day. All in all seems like a great family car so far.
Hi,

Have you done the false floor already? I'm thinking the same thing. Mine arrives in a couple of weeks. It would be good to know how you went about it.

Thanks

There was a kit being offered at one stage for the Standard Range - this thread has details

Long Range comes with an upgraded height adjustable floor.

18 Days now i love my MG5 long range in the RED, its comfortable and nice to drive i have a hyper volt charger and is great.So cheap to run only issue has been the charging door but dealer has ordered part.Being the red has turned many heads and people stop to ask questions and are impressed great to do the journey to my daughters and back without charging the 30 kWh leaf had to be charged before coming home.

How do I know that how much my MG5 is charged by pv and how much by grid?

Btw, how much do you pay for your solor system with 3.43k? I am doing research and find out that it is good to choose the solar system without a battery if the entry power is only arounf 4kwh and if you consider the cost of return.
I have bought a HS PHEV this month but it wont be delivered to around December. I have 4KW solar panels installed for around 7 years now with 20 years ROCS contract which cost 6K at the time. When the car arrives I am going to sign up to Power NI,s EV tariff which gives low night charging rates and a better daytime rate instead of a 5 kw battery which just wont add up cost wise. We use our PV primarily for running washing machine/dishwasher and tumble dryer all year round for maximum effect on electric savings. My solar harvesting is around 20-30 KWH during summer and as low as 3-12 KWH during winter. I cant see from my own perspective solar PV being that useful on the PHEV unless your vehicle is at home during the most effective daylight hours. I never regretted installing the solar PV system as I have made around 50% savings on my electric bills in summer and 30% in winter over the years and with the ROCS payments (paid a price for every KWH your panels produce) plus export payments I am well ahead of my quoted 12 year payback plan. Hope this answers some of your questions about returns of solar PV from an owners perspective although your energy needs might be a different demand from mine? I realise theres only exports payments in England Andrew? so you want to use/store most of what you generate where possible. A battery may be more suiting to your needs than mine.

Last edited:
Had our MG 5 Long Range for a couple of weeks now, have covered a little over 800 miles and spent about £2.40 on electric thanks to free chargers and solar pv at home.

Very happy but it does have a few little annoyances/concerns:
  • I set the car into regen level 3 and eco driving mode but every time I turn the car off, it resets! Anybody know a way of saving the setting?
  • The infotainment unit is very slow, but otherwise works well.
  • It's fairly easy to unsettle the suspension on bendy roads with a less than perfect surface.
  • Seems to lack a bit of front end grip and understeers more than I am comfortable with at times, particularly if the road surface isn't great.
  • The charge flap feels like it will not last too long
  • It has this ugly black bit of plastic under the rear number plate with two exposed screw heads. Looks messy and what on earth is it for?
  • MG Pilot frequently tells me to hold the steering wheel when I am errrm, holding the steering wheel. Seems that if it doesn't feel you physically move the wheel for a while it assumes you have let go.
  • There is a nagging noise coming from the left seat every time I accelerate enthusiastically.
All in all it is a great car when you consider what you are getting for your money! We paid £26k for our brand new excite with the Tri-cote paint and delivery from Gloucestershire to Devon. For an EV of this size and range I think it's a absolute bargain.

Had our MG 5 Long Range for a couple of weeks now, have covered a little over 800 miles and spent about £2.40 on electric thanks to free chargers and solar pv at home.

Very happy but it does have a few little annoyances/concerns:
  • I set the car into regen level 3 and eco driving mode but every time I turn the car off, it resets! Anybody know a way of saving the setting?
  • The infotainment unit is very slow, but otherwise works well.
  • It's fairly easy to unsettle the suspension on bendy roads with a less than perfect surface.
  • Seems to lack a bit of front end grip and understeers more than I am comfortable with at times, particularly if the road surface isn't great.
  • The charge flap feels like it will not last too long
  • It has this ugly black bit of plastic under the rear number plate with two exposed screw heads. Looks messy and what on earth is it for?
  • MG Pilot frequently tells me to hold the steering wheel when I am errrm, holding the steering wheel. Seems that if it doesn't feel you physically move the wheel for a while it assumes you have let go.
  • There is a nagging noise coming from the left seat every time I accelerate enthusiastically.
All in all it is a great car when you consider what you are getting for your money! We paid £26k for our brand new excite with the Tri-cote paint and delivery from Gloucestershire to Devon. For an EV of this size and range I think it's a absolute bargain.

Couple of comments on things I have a tiny bit of info about
  • I don't think you can save the settings for mode and regen - seems to be something commented on in every Youtube review. Maybe in a future software release.
  • Lack of front end grip might be due to ride height / suspension set up but also the tyres (a seemingly favourite subject of mine) are more geared for efficiency rather than grip as far as I can tell
  • My number plate has the plastic chunk but has black plastic screws (I think) - I suspect it's designed for a different shape number plate and the holes in the bodywork aren't quite comparable with UK style. I've seen other solutions kicking about the forums too.

1632322456390.jpeg

If it's under steering (trying to go straight) then check the rear tyres aren't overinflated or the fronts underinflated.

If it's under steering (trying to go straight) then check the rear tyres aren't overinflated or the fronts underinflated.
If this is your first EV then understeer is simply to be expected because of the additional weight of the battery you're carrying into the corners. That also accounts for the extra roll too. They could compensate with stiffer suspension but then it would be pretty horrible over the bumps. You get used to it.

I bought a 53Kwh Excite 3 weeks ago and have done just over a thousand miles. My previous car was a BMW 320d saloon. So far I'm very impressed with the car. The infotainment system is a bit slow but on the positive side it sounds great for a stock system and so much better than the one in my old BMW.

I did have a problem with the Sat Nav, I was poking around in the options and managed to lock it up completely. Powering the car on and off had no effect so I had to do a factory reset which sorted the sat nav out. Unfortunately it reset the distance metric back to kilometers and hour, this was easily rectified and I set it back to miles. The bigger problem is the temperature on the 7" display now displays in Fahrenheit and the temperature on the infotainment system displays Celsius.

Still getting used to there being no gear stick I had a habit of resting my had on it while I as driving also not having to remove a key fob from the dashboard makes me feel like I've forgotten something when I get out!:ROFLMAO:

All in all super happy with the car great value for money.

The good: A breath of fresh air with range after previously owning a Leaf 24. Lovely smooth drive and some great kit.
The Bad: No onboard charging schedule and no visible exterior indication of charging state. An app would be nice for preheating the car but not exactly critical.
The Ugly: Worries about some software issues with high states of charge on rapids. I've had to dismantle the engine cowl to release the car from an Ionity charger using the emergency cable release. Not sure if that's only my car but pretty stressful nonetheless.
Verdict: For the money, no other EV comes close for value despite its idiosyncracies.

Having driven 5 different Mg5's in standard range over the last 4 months and taking ownership of my own Mg5 LR a few days ago I have noticed quite a bit less wind and road noise compared with the previous Mg5s. My wife noticed the difference too. The suspensions feels a bit softer too, which I prefer. Just feels like a more solid car somehow. Maybe down to variation in production. In any case, this one is a total joy to own and drive! Even without the affinity deal and governnment incentives it would still be a real bargain. ACC, lane control, collision detection are great safety features too!

9 months of not driving it as much as I would like. I miss the seat comfort of the Mondeo but then I don't spend my life on motorways any more. I live on the first floor, so utterly dependent on public charging. Which has been fine thanks to Brighton's lamp post chargers. The MG5 is the best car I have ever owned. Practical, reliable and enough of a wolf in sheep's clothing for an ageing dad.

9 months of not driving it as much as I would like. I miss the seat comfort of the Mondeo but then I don't spend my life on motorways any more. I live on the first floor, so utterly dependent on public charging. Which has been fine thanks to Brighton's lamp post chargers. The MG5 is the best car I have ever owned. Practical, reliable and enough of a wolf in sheep's clothing for an ageing dad.
Is there an agreed upon age for "ageing dad"?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom