MG5 owners only. Post on here what you think of the car.

9 months of not driving it as much as I would like. I miss the seat comfort of the Mondeo but then I don't spend my life on motorways any more. I live on the first floor, so utterly dependent on public charging. Which has been fine thanks to Brighton's lamp post chargers. The MG5 is the best car I have ever owned. Practical, reliable and enough of a wolf in sheep's clothing for an ageing dad.
Good to hear, we're hopefully picking ours up tomorrow so may see you by one of the lamp posts... Do you mind me asking, can you do a battery balance at them or does it cut out? That's the only bit of info I haven't been able to find!

Good to hear, we're hopefully picking ours up tomorrow so may see you by one of the lamp posts... Do you mind me asking, can you do a battery balance at them or does it cut out? That's the only bit of info I haven't been able to find!
Honestly no idea ..how do I find out? Given that I have never rapid charged is this a problem ? The other day for the 1st time it stopped charging at 94% full. Which is something most petrol users would currently be very happy with. Still I wonder about how the lampost chargers work now they also need to power the street light for longer periods.

I did like it, didn’t like it, did, didn’t until I realised it’s the infrastructure (at the moment) I don’t like. Now I am getting there with it I really do like it....a lot, it’s quirky, meets all my daily needs and is saving me a fortune, what’s not to like??? 🤔😊😊
I am still at the don't like it or trust it stage due to charging anxiety, and have run into a lot of broken eco tricity charging stands, I know this is not the cars fault. Also finding the cost of charging at home on mains verses public chargers confusing and can't figure out if I should put in a charger at home. Also not the cars fault. For another thread? It is nice to drive does not feel as sturdy as my old volvo that I have hung onto just in case.

I case you don't already know. Yes you can balance the battery on a type 2 fast charger. I regularly balance mine at a 5kw lamppost charger.

I am still at the don't like it or trust it stage due to charging anxiety, and have run into a lot of broken eco tricity charging stands, I know this is not the cars fault. Also finding the cost of charging at home on mains verses public chargers confusing and can't figure out if I should put in a charger at home. Also not the cars fault. For another thread? It is nice to drive does not feel as sturdy as my old volvo that I have hung onto just in case.
I realise that a home charger is an expense even with govt grant but it makes sense. I’ve had my ZS EV since early June and have only public charged a few times on longer trips. I use Instavolt so no probs. Now done nearly 5000 miles. I charge with my Hypervolt charger mostly at 5p a unit on Octopus Go.
I love the ZS for what it is. My old car was a Honda CRV and the equivalent EV would like your Volvo be 50 -60k. Enjoy the ZS EV with PlugShare,Zap-Map and ABPR -
plus a home charger - you are then sorted.

Grab an app like plugshare or zapmap and avoid going to Ecotricity chargers. Their replacement Gridserve ones are way better.

I too, have an old Volvo (xc70 2.4) as a plan B / bad weather car.. the volvo is a heavier sturdier car but the Mg5 is really well built and drives so much nicer than the volvo. The recent cost of the timing belt and new suspension parts for the volvo would be equivalent to the cost of driving the Mg5 40,000 miles !. Diesel for 40,000 in the volvo would be around £8000. Oh, and another £1400 road tax. And Mots, repairs, congestion charges etc..etc. so maybe keeping your old volvo AND getting an Mg5 would overall be cheaper overall and give you the security of having at least one car that's good to go. I'm fortunate to have somewhere offroad to stash my volvo. I can un SORN it in minutes if I need it. Only £210 a year to insure the volvo which is doing less than 4k a year.

Must admit, I’ve been tempted by an XC70 D5 SE LUX for quite a while (having previously owned an 850 and V70R AWD) - but fuel costs and road tax, combined with potential repair costs with any 2nd hand car put me off.

Guess that’s why the slightly high ride height of the MG5 doesn’t bother me much.

I too, have an old Volvo (xc70 2.4) as a plan B / bad weather car.. the volvo is a heavier sturdier car but the Mg5 is really well built and drives so much nicer than the volvo. The recent cost of the timing belt and new suspension parts for the volvo would be equivalent to the cost of driving the Mg5 40,000 miles !. Diesel for 40,000 in the volvo would be around £8000. Oh, and another £1400 road tax. And Mots, repairs, congestion charges etc..etc. so maybe keeping your old volvo AND getting an Mg5 would overall be cheaper overall and give you the security of having at least one car that's good to go. I'm fortunate to have somewhere offroad to stash my volvo. I can un SORN it in minutes if I need it. Only £210 a year to insure the volvo which is doing less than 4k a year.
My thoughts exactly when I was seriously considering the MG5. I was always going to have a backup plan in the guise of my old Rav4 petrol 4x4 which sits sorned in the summer and is only on the road in the winter as a backup vehicle in case the car or van goes down. Alas wont need a backup plan now that I went for the HS.

Must admit, I’ve been tempted by an XC70 D5 SE LUX for quite a while (having previously owned an 850 and V70R AWD) - but fuel costs and road tax, combined with potential repair costs with any 2nd hand car put me off.

Guess that’s why the slightly high ride height of the MG5 doesn’t bother me much.
Same here. And driving the Xc70 after driving the Mg5 is like getting innto a tractor/dump truck or similar :)

Biggest annoyance with my MG5 Exclusive so far is the rear seatbelt receiver parts - they seem to disappear into the seat when trying to fasten my daughters belt (she's 6 and uses a car seat). Infuriating!! Purchased something that I hope might work

Amazon product ASIN B06X1DZTKS
Yup, we stuffed a whee sponge down behind them for this exact reason,

Yup, we stuffed a whee sponge down behind them for this exact reason,
Those silicon thingies I bought seem to be working okay with a child seat in place (suspect they might not be comfy if three in the back) - but if the sponge is working, then good solution 👍

1634193020015.jpeg

I case you don't already know. Yes you can balance the battery on a type 2 fast charger. I regularly balance mine at a 5kw lamppost charger.
Cheers for that. I did the first charge up to 100% the other day, but mistimed it so when I returned it just said something along the lines of "connected but not charging". I presume there's no way to check if its been balanced? Think it read 401v - forgot to take notes at 6am!

Cheers for that. I did the first charge up to 100% the other day, but mistimed it so when I returned it just said something along the lines of "connected but not charging". I presume there's no way to check if its been balanced? Think it read 401v - forgot to take notes at 6am!
When it's on 100% and says "Connected but not charging" it has balanced the batteries. Before then it says 100% and something like "Finished".

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom